FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 23, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #976 of 1,841
The ultimate test for me was connecting a straight tube amp to the uDac. A lot of times usb and straight tube amps don't play together quietly. I have had to purchase usb to spdif converters to get rid of the noise (RFI, gound loop etc.). I gambled with the uDac because it does not have optical or coax in, so a converter would be a moot point. I like black backrounds with all my setups. We spend good money on gear, why have noise. Unacceptable to me....
bigsmile_face.gif

Was feeling old school, so brought down my MPX3 toaster. Fitted it with some Westinghouse 5687s and one of my favorite 6SN7s (GE JAN-CG-6SN7GT)...The mids on this tube are delicious....HD650s front and center...

Plugged everything in and turned it on and waited for that annoying hum or noise to show up. Hmm, nothing...Cranked volume to 100% on both the amp and uDac (no music playing of course).....It is freaking dead silent...Black backround without a hint of noise anywhere with the volumes cranked....

Nuforce hit a home run with this one. I really did not need another DAC but wanted a small, usb powered, RCA outs, great sound, quiet one to use with my laptops and move around.....Mission accomplished.....
biggrin.gif

Oh, and the above (and below) setup sounded very SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET....
beerchug.gif

1010139.jpg

1010141.jpg

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #977 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by sune /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What... Shipping to the UK takes anywhere between 15-30 days?! Not including potential custom holdups.. And ain't cheap either.. Man!

After ordering (again) in a passionate frenzy, I just realized the shipping time.. And that a local reseller, that will only add about 20% to the price, has now got the uDac back in stock..

So now I wanted to cancel my order (Again
confused_face.gif
), but of course that option has vanished now, 4 hours down the line. The item has must have gone into packing and the Nuforce guys are keeping busy on a Saturday.. DOH!!

I Can't stand it no more. I'm working abroad and have been separated from my beloved Hi fi for ages now. I finaly got some decent cans, but my ears are bleding from the torture of listening to crappy internal sound cards
frown.gif

Mine arrives on Monday. The actual postage took only 4-5 days, but it was in customs for 7-8 days. Package was marked as full $99 and got hit £14 + £8 RM fee... thanks guys
rolleyes.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #978 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrywild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Package was marked as full $99 and got hit £14 + £8 RM fee... thanks guys
rolleyes.gif

LOL
bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah I figured I wouldn't get around the taxes. I'm assuming the £14 is Vat, but what's an RM fee? Great news about the shipping time though. Let us know how you like
popcorn.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #979 of 1,841
Amazon still list the uDAC as 'In Stock', but we are on the home straight for the HDP now. Patience isnt my strong suite, unfortunately.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #980 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by sune /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL
bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah I figured I wouldn't get around the taxes. I'm assuming the £14 is Vat, but what's an RM fee? Great news about the shipping time though. Let us know how you like
popcorn.gif

USPS parcels go to Parcelforce for delivery in UK. Royal Mail pay the customs for you and drop you a note saying pay it back to us plus an 8 quid fee... I don't know how they can justify that (not like they lose £8 in inflation in 2 days on £14). After it comes I might ring them (Parcel Force) and have a go.
mad.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #981 of 1,841
Guys I have a very important question.... when using the Nuforce uDAC on a laptop, can you use it to play sound through its internal speakers? If so, how do you set it up this way?

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #982 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys I have a very important question.... when using the Nuforce uDAC on a laptop, can you use it to play sound through its internal speakers? If so, how do you set it up this way?

Mac or PC? On my Macbook Pro, I can select to output sound through the built-in output (internal speakers), or the USB DAC through "System Preferences > Sound"

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #983 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzarg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mac or PC? On my Macbook Pro, I can select to output sound through the built-in output (internal speakers), or the USB DAC through "System Preferences > Sound"

Yeah sorry I mean for PC. I'm on Windows 7 on a Sager Laptop with a Realtek on-board soundchip.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #984 of 1,841
Quote:

So theoretically you want to run back into the laptop (most likely by using 3.5mm cable). The issue I'm seeing is that the pc/mac will be confused about the speakers. If you are using the udac it has to be the default device in your sound settings which is perfect for headphones, power amps > speakers, or active speakers. I'm almost positive that trying to go pc > udac> pc won't work but there is probably someone on here who could give you some help.

Even if you make it work, I don't think it would provide a significant improvement for your sound quality. Most of us are using incredible headphones that can actually benefit from a good dac while built in laptop speakers are another story.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #985 of 1,841
Quote:

If that's what you intend on doing then you are wasting your money.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #986 of 1,841
Quote:

can you use it to play sound through its internal speakers? If so, how do you set it up this way?

You unplug it...
wink_face.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #987 of 1,841
Quote:

Congratulations - of all the confused folk on Head-Fi, you now hold the record for 'most seriously confused'. Believe me, you had some pretty serious competition, but I salute your dedication and wish you well. I'll be handing out the 'Honorable Mention' awards a little later on.

Now I know the baseline laptop makers use when they decide onboard sound is all we will ever need.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #988 of 1,841
Order placed, and now the wait...

Thank you Head-fi!

For some reason I keep running into these $99 items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back