Jan 22, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #931 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same issue on my Windows 7 laptop and it was resolved by:

Go to Control Panel
Open "Sound"
Click on the "Communications" tab
Select : DO NOTHING

This pretty much took that artifacting away.

Hope it works for you too.

this sounds like great advice for us early adopters. duly noted

has anyone experimented with running a uDAC into a sub and then running speakers out?

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #932 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelsx45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone do any gaming with there udac?

I'd like to know this too!

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #933 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the grills without the cable?

Haven't tried that combo. In reality I think the HD580 sound pretty similar to the HD600, and the HD600 grills on an HD580 made it sound a tiny bit crisper and cleaner in the highs, like an HD600. I prefer the HD650 cable over the HD600 cable on the 600's, but the HD600 don't suck with the stock cable, so a re-grilled HD580 is probably okay with stock cable. I would take that over an HD650. Still, the HD650 cable is pretty cheap, so there's not much to lose by trying it. I bought mine for $25 on eBay, but recently sold it to mrarroyo for $10 to use with an HD580 he bought that didn't have a cable. I still have three cables for my HD600 so I am not lacking there.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #934 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzarg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is this supposed to be like?

Occasionally, my music will stutter, stop playing, and then continue playing. It only lasts 3-5 seconds, and it's once in awhile (about three times now that I've had the DAC for almost a week). Not sure if its some type of power surge or if it's the uDAC.

I wanted to give an update on this. I needed a few things from Monoprice, so I ordered one of their gold-plated USB cables, and it seems to have solved the problem! Perhaps I had a faulty USB cable? I didn't think the gold plated would make a difference.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #935 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't tried that combo. In reality I think the HD580 sound pretty similar to the HD600, and the HD600 grills on an HD580 made it sound a tiny bit crisper and cleaner in the highs, like an HD600. I prefer the HD650 cable over the HD600 cable on the 600's, but the HD600 don't suck with the stock cable, so a re-grilled HD580 is probably okay with stock cable. I would take that over an HD650. Still, the HD650 cable is pretty cheap, so there's not much to lose by trying it. I bought mine for $25 on eBay, but recently sold it to mrarroyo for $10 to use with an HD580 he bought that didn't have a cable. I still have three cables for my HD600 so I am not lacking there.

I think I'm one of the weird ones here
biggrin.gif
I dont really have hd600 grills with me here to compare but what I did was compare the hd580 grills to no grills at all, and I actually liked how it sounds with the grill more. It added a slight projection to the vocals with the grills on and was slightly more open sounding with the grilles off. So I am guessing the hd600 grilles should sound closer to no grilles at all? more open.

Let me do that now with the udac and see if I still prefer the hd580 grills to no grills. I hope I still feel the same way because those hd600 grilles are 30 bucks per side.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #936 of 1,841
Listening right now and I prefer no grilles ever so slightly to using the 580 grilles when using the udac but the difference is so very small to me. Not worth spending $60 on grilles just for this mini difference. The cups make much less of a difference than the hd650 cable vs stock cable... unless the hd600 cups makes its own pleasant distortion... How could it beat having no cups at all though
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #937 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening right now and I prefer no grilles ever so slightly to using the 580 grilles when using the udac but the difference is so very small to me. Not worth spending $60 on grilles just for this mini difference. The cups make much less of a difference than the hd650 cable vs stock cable... unless the hd600 cups makes its own pleasant distortion... How could it beat having no cups at all though
biggrin.gif

I believe the cups/grills are useful in making as you say, "their own pleasant distortions", but I have never tried to listen with no cups. I tried Headphile wood cups and didn't like them, preferring the HD600 grills.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #938 of 1,841
If you ever get to try no grilles vs hd600 grilles, let me know what you think of the difference so that I can gauge the 580 vs 600 grilles performance on that.

By the way, this udac is musical with anything I throw at it. It should have been around ages ago. Who knows, I might not have even gotten addicted to hanging around here in the first place

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #939 of 1,841
Quote:

I think I'm one of the weird ones here
biggrin.gif
I dont really have hd600 grills with me here to compare but what I did was compare the hd580 grills to no grills at all, and I actually liked how it sounds with the grill more. It added a slight projection to the vocals with the grills on and was slightly more open sounding with the grilles off. So I am guessing the hd600 grilles should sound closer to no grilles at all? more open.

Let me do that now with the udac and see if I still prefer the hd580 grills to no grills. I hope I still feel the same way because those hd600 grilles are 30 bucks per side.

The grilles are $30 each? I thought they were $8.

I just saw an ebay seller selling them for $30+ $5 shipping. That is way too expensive.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #941 of 1,841
Quote:

If you ever get to try no grilles vs hd600 grilles, let me know what you think of the difference so that I can gauge the 580 vs 600 grilles performance on that.

By the way, this udac is musical with anything I throw at it. It should have been around ages ago. Who knows, I might not have even gotten addicted to hanging around here in the first place

It's funny how I could never talk you into buying a DV 336i for the Sennheisers, but this you would do.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #942 of 1,841
I didnt get the darkvoice because you had so many other amps reviewed that you started liking more back then like the beta novo and others and I got confused... also at the same time I had a quick trade opportunity to get the gilmore lite with dps(which I ended up disappointed with).

Anyway, among your amps now would you say that the woo6 is still by far the best amp under a grand for the senns when connected with the uDac? Or is there another sub 500 dollar one that is basically just as good.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #943 of 1,841
Oh one thing about the uDac that ive noticed is that it has a hiss when music recently played through it then after a while it goes away. The hiss is very low though but you can hear it when you turn your amp full volume while everything is paused.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #944 of 1,841
Just wanted to add that I'm using Windows 7 and J. River 13, w/ WASAPI and the uDac works flawless. Glad overland and Headphoneaddict worked this out, the thread was really starting to take a dive. I figured that generally a $99 unit tends to get a lot less negative reviews because you always need to take the price into consideration. As for that guy looking for classical music Dac, I really don't think you'll find a dac for that price that will do as good a job with this Dac in any genre of music, including classical. As overland explained, it may not be the uDac's strong point, but something tells me it's weak points are still better than other $99 dac's strong points. If you're willing to spend more money, well, of course it's a different story.

Anyway, enjoy your uDac's everybody.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #945 of 1,841
for the record, I love listening to classical on my udac more than I did with my valab and my emu 0404. Heck, I even like it more than the much more expensive mhdt havana with the ericsson 2c51 tube. The single ericcson tube alone costs as much as the uDac
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back