FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 9, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #541 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably as good as the Pico did when I posted my review - decent, while I think the 3MOVE might have been a little better (I'd have to check my notes or you can look at the big DAC/amp review thread). If I recall correctly, the TTVJ portable Millet Hybrid is one of the best sounding portables with the 600 ohm AKG for some reason (and also one of my favorites with Grados), but the 9v amps like the above listed are not bad. The 5v amps (excepting TTVJ) didn't fare so well.

Thanks my friend.

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #542 of 1,841
I have been comparing mine to the headphone out of my Macbook Air. I had to keep swapping my Denon D2000 from the MBA to the uDac so that may have affected my conclusions:

The bass is a little tighter, the image specificity is better and the highs are smoother (less shrillness and sibilance). However, the differences are subtle and as such I'm not confident of convincingly passing an ABX test.

Its a good product; just don't expect a miraculous one.

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #543 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you say that? It has an amplification stage for the headphone out, it just doesn't use opamps to do amplify the music. I don't know if that qualifies as being a discrete SS output or not, because they don't describe it as such, but it's very similar in design to the Icon Mobile, even though it doesn't sound the same.

The gain is low enough to use very sensitive custom IEM with it, but high enough to drive an HD600 to loud levels or and HE-5 to medium levels.

Thanks HPA, I don't like high gain amp because driving sensitive IEMs/Cans causes them to have shrieking highs and alot of sibilance.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #544 of 1,841
Hey, are you guys so busy checking out the uDAC that not a single person has time to post a review on Amazon.com?
OMG, uDAC is the fastest selling product that we have to date
icon10.gif

The 1st 20 people who post a review on Amazon.com get this nice key chain (it has different logo on each side of the leather). It is a little tacky offering free gift but come on, all of you guys (and some gals) bought from Amazon.com and nobody bother to post a review there.

Email directsales with your Amazon.com order ID and the Amazon.com review URL and we'll mail the key chains to you.

keychain_blk_1.jpg

keychain_blk_2.jpg

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #545 of 1,841
Hey Jasonl, how about a stand for the uDac? Like the icon's.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #546 of 1,841
I'll post my review for sure when i get it. Its incredible how a product can get 37 here and no single comment on the big A.

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #549 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, are you guys so busy checking out the uDAC that not a single person has time to post a review on Amazon.com?
OMG, uDAC is the fastest selling product that we have to date
icon10.gif

The 1st 20 people who post a review on Amazon.com get this nice key chain (it has different logo on each side of the leather). It is a little tacky offering free gift but come on, all of you guys (and some gals) bought from Amazon.com and nobody bother to post a review there.

Email directsales with your Amazon.com order ID and the Amazon.com review URL and we'll mail the key chains to you.

keychain_blk_1.jpg

keychain_blk_2.jpg

Mine has been posted, but it takes a while to accept.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #550 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by RamJaxed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jason,

Is there a reason it's $65 more on the .eu site compared to the US site?

That's why I ordered mine from the US site with international shipping... worked out about £35 cheaper!! Even if I get fully hit by customs, it'll still be £20 cheaper..
popcorn.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #551 of 1,841
Hi all, I just got the uDAC yesterday thanks to the glowing reviews in this thread and wanted to post a few quick first impressions.
My previous system is a Headroom Micro DAC & RSA SR-71 paired with HD600 that I've had for about 3 years, so that's what I'm comparing to. Nothing too amazing or high end by any means. My impressions so far are based on just the headphone out of the uDAC, not using the amp with it.

The first thing I noticed right away about the uDAC was the bass. Or rather, the way that the uDAC presents the bass. Bass is right up front compared to my old system, with vocals pushed back a little. The soundstage is a little more narrow. It certainly seems like a more exciting presentation to me than my previous setup, while still having plenty of detail. For acoustic music and music where I want to focus on vocals, I find that the uDAC tries to distract me a little, while making electronic music much more fun and engaging. So I can't ditch my old system just yet
smily_headphones1.gif

This is just my quick opinion so far though with only about 3 hours of listening time and switching back and forth a little, so it might change a lot. I haven't tried my other headphones with it yet either. After more time comparing and testing, I'll try to update. So far though, it's a really nice DAC and worthy of all the praise it's been given in this thread, a really good recommendation to those looking for a budget DAC or amp, and definitely a great starting source. It really holds its own compared to my old system in terms of sound quality.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread so far with opinions!

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #553 of 1,841
Just posted my review on Amazon, hope I am the first 20 people. It is great DAC, sound is really clean and balance. I fI really need to complaint, it is that thing is a bit close than I want compared to my BBE= 3 Cowon D2+ but the clean and silent background is unmatched. I hate hissing so much and UM3X is hiss monster. finally I can enjoy clean sound again

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #554 of 1,841
Review Submitted from the newbie perspective. It needed some "duh sounds good my 1st amp!!!" amongst all the hardcore discussion...

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #555 of 1,841
I would have gladly posted my review on amazon.... if my dac was here... its lost in the mail somewhere. Maybe some postal service employees enjoying the udac now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back