FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 20, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #796 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackwheel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-

"pcfranco, are you or are you not a sentient robot delivered by Nuforce to convince us of this product. Yes or no? Because that is how it seems at the moment. On an unrelated note, this dac actually seems very nice."

And,

"I'm not saying you are right or wrong because I've never heard it..."

-

Buy one and listen. Then you put your comments. Until that happens, your
funny comments have no value. At least for me.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #797 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone who was serious about classical music -- which most people strongly prefer very neutral gear for -- in my opinion would not be happy with this DAC, RELATIVE to others that are better suited for classical. No way would I recommend this DAC to someone who wanted a DAC for classical. This DAC has other strengths, like being a kick-ass rock DAC. If you would recommend it for classical, or say it's not forward, warm, etc. that's your credibility on the line, not mine.

So what $100 DAC would you recommend for classical?

And how much of an effect does your Amp have on your opinions of the DAC? Is the sound sig the same coming out the headphone port?

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #798 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcfranco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy one and listen. Then you put your comments. Until that happens, your
funny comments have no value. At least for me.

Fair enough my friend. I agree. But it was funny no?
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #799 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackwheel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-

In all honesty, when I read your description of the uDac, it sounds negative. I'm not saying you are right or wrong because I've never heard it... but you do put a damper on the consistently itive compliments the device has been getting for the last 50-something pages. (maybe that is a good thing)

There is a subtle, but powerful, difference between describing sound as "more body / fuller sound to the music" as opposed to "thick."

You know that distinction very well, and I really think you should drop the he/she/I said business. Everybody knows what they said, and the only words you should be clarifying are your own.

Didn't mean to go schoolteacher on you, but hey, what the hell... why not.
wink.gif

-

Apparently not everyone did know what they said, because one person claimed I was the only one who described the dac as"forward," and a few other people implied that what I said wasn't accurate because it didn't accord with how Larry described it, when it turned out that Larry had actually said the same thing.

And what's wrong with "thick," anyway? That's how it sounds to me: forward, full bodied, and thick. Why do you attribute a negative value judgment to it that isn't there?
confused.gif

Most people in fact think it's negative when someone says a certain amp or piece of equipment sounds "thin." Most people don't like thin. So which is it? Thin sounding is negative? Or thick sounding? Both? So what are we supposed to say about its thinness or thickness, mr. review police? Nothing?

Someone said, "grainy distortion in the mid to upper treble ranges." That's more negative than anything I said. And yet you're fine with that. How come? That actually *is* negative, but instead you choose to say that "aggressive" is negative, or "forward" is negative. Kind of weird.

Guess what? I don't like "polite." I *like* aggressive. Aggressive for rock and related genres can be good. Polite and non-aggressive is bad. So why do you make it into something negative, or want me to say the DAC is something it isn't?
confused.gif

The dac is aggressive, and apparently you want me to say it's polite. So apparently you are dishonest and you want me to be, too? Or what else is your motivation? I don't understand why you want me to lie about my impressions.
confused.gif

Btw, I have an honors degree in English, and a Master's degree in Communication and Rhetoric, so I don't think you're going to be "schooling" me on much of anything to do with language and expression.
wink_face.gif
It's my experience that more people need to learn better critical reading skills, and not attribute all kinds of "meanings" to things that aren't actually there, as you just did here. "Just sayin'."

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #800 of 1,841
Quote:

Sure they did. I just posted the comments where just about everyone said it was forward, including you.

Many people said in so many words that it's thick, like when one person said, "more body / fuller sound to the music." That's thick, not thin.

Many people have said in so many words that it's powerful, like in talking about "overdriving" the inputs, scaling back the volume, etc. Together with it's forwardness, that's aggressive. It's not polite. The opposite of polite is aggression.

Some people even said it had grainy and distorted highs and midrange. Someone else said the highs were rolled off. For all we know, that's what turned someone who is into classical off to the DAC. As it should!

So please just lay off. Nothing that I have said about the DAC is inaccurate. It's not bright, it's not thin, it's not recessed, and it's not polite. It's RELATIVELY warm, thick, forward, and aggressive. Again, relative to neutral.

Anyone who was serious about classical music -- which most people strongly prefer very neutral gear for -- in my opinion would not be happy with this DAC, RELATIVE to others that are better suited for classical. No way would I recommend this DAC to someone who wanted a DAC for classical. This DAC has other strengths, like being a kick-ass rock DAC. If you would recommend it for classical, or say it's not forward, warm, etc. that's your credibility on the line, not mine.

There is nothing to "lay off" because we simply need to reconcile our differences in terminology or this will happen again either in this thread of another, and someone else may over-react to strong comments that they read.

It's their fault if they over react (suno) not yours, but we could help to minimize those problems before they happen. There is a real problem with yours, mine, or other members terminology not being anything alike. You said "very" forward, we we say it is just forward. That's what people were contesting, the "very", not the "forward" part. There's a graduated scale there - e.g. sucked out, very recessed, recessed, not recessed or forward, slightly forward, forward, fairly forward, very forward, and OMG get out of my face forward. I do see you've dropped it back to just "forward" and I would agree with that.

It also seems that you are re-defining someone else's statement of the uDAC having "more body / fuller sound to the music" as being "thick". If that is the case, then EVERY high-end full size amp I have is "thick", actually 80% of my amps are thick (no, I don't believe that). My goal is to have my system sound fuller with more body. Maybe the poster will chime in with what he meant by his "body/fuller" statement, because I simply don't interpret that statement the same way you do. It seems we can all agree that uDAC "has more body and fuller sound to the music", but we don't all call that "thick". Just because it is not "thin" sounding doesn't mean it's 180 degrees opposite to call it thick.

So, there is a problem with our terminology not meshing, and your definitions are too black and white for my tastes. If I said, she's not bad looking I'd be afraid you would say, "well, since she isn't gorgeous she must be homely." If I said it also sounds "rich", does that add to your argument that it is thick? I don't think so, but I'd be afraid to say that in case it does. Does my saying it can sound "vibrant" take away from the thickness, because then I can say "rich and vibrant" so that doesn't move it one way or the other? Or will you add my vibrant comment to support your argument that it is aggressive? I simply don't know, based on the arguments you've presented.

A 2V DAC output level that can overdrive a few (not all) amps if it's not attenuated is what I would call "loud", not aggressive. If it's too loud and you can turn it down, the "nature" of the sound doesn't change it's essence. If it's too aggressive how do you turn that down with the volume knob? I don't know, but apparently it can be here because turning down the volume pot reduces the output and stops overdriving the amps. And if the overdrive is gone, then is the aggression gone? If not, then that's not a good example of aggression. I do think you're previous definition of it being aggressive if it is punchy and forward would fit better. And Just because it's not polite doesn't mean it needs to be the 180 degree opposite of polite as you say. I and a few others would say it is something in between polite and aggressive. I don't know what I would name that, and I would rather describe what I hear and hope that people don't name it wrong.

Again, I don't argue where you may have found posts by some people who posted they thought it was grainy, or rolled off in the highs, because with their gear it might be. With certain IEM with certain tips it is rolled off in the highs, but I change the tips to a single flange silicone tip and they come back. With another IEM the uDAC can sound grainy, but I change the IEM tips and that is fixed. So, is it or is it not rolled off in the highs or grainy? It's both, depending on the gear, and relative to what you use as a baseline or comparison. With your gear it might be VERY forward and THICK. But you are confusing me with your redefining the use of THICK, or saying that you only called it forward when you went further than that by adding the "very".

Important - I do believe that it sounds to you the way you describe it with your gear. And, many of your descriptions of the sound are spot on with what I hear, but then you define (or name) those descriptions using words that don't fit with your descriptions. Nobody is impugning your descriptions or findings when you actually describe what you mean and leave the terminology out.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #801 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what $100 DAC would you recommend for classical?

And how much of an effect does your Amp have on your opinions of the DAC? Is the sound sig the same coming out the headphone port?

I would say it's fine for classical if a person matches it with the right amp and headphones, but I would lose my credibility. Nevertheless, I'll continue to use it with classical with most of my phones and amps.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #802 of 1,841
Quote:

Apparently not everyone did know what they said, because one person claimed I was the only one who described the dac as"forward," and a few other people implied that what I said wasn't accurate because it didn't accord with how Larry described it, when it turned out that Larry had actually said the same thing.

And what's wrong with "thick," anyway? That's how it sounds to me: forward, full bodied, and thick. Why do you attribute a negative value judgment to it that isn't there?
confused.gif

Most people in fact think it's negative when someone says a certain amp or piece of equipment sounds "thin." Most people don't like thin. So which is it? Thin sounding is negative? Or thick sounding? Both? So what are we supposed to say about its thinness or thickness, mr. review police? Nothing?

Someone said, "grainy distortion in the mid to upper treble ranges." That's more negative than anything I said. And yet you're fine with that. How come? That actually *is* negative, but instead you choose to say that "aggressive" is negative, or "forward" is negative. Kind of weird.

Guess what? I don't like "polite." I *like* aggressive. Aggressive for rock and related genres can be good. Polite and non-aggressive is bad. So why do you make it into something negative, or want me to say the DAC is something it isn't?
confused.gif

The dac is aggressive, and apparently you want me to say it's polite. So apparently you are dishonest and you want me to be, too? Or what else is your motivation? I don't understand why you want me to lie about my impressions.
confused.gif

Btw, I have an honors degree in English, and a Master's degree in Communication and Rhetoric, so I don't think you're going to be "schooling" me on much of anything to do with language and expression.
wink_face.gif
It's my experience that more people need to learn better critical reading skills, and not attribute all kinds of "meanings" to things that aren't actually there, as you just did here. "Just sayin'."

Goldie Locks didn't like her porridge to be too thick or too thin, and neither do we. Thick and thin inherently have negative connotations. As for terminology, the audio world has it's own dictionary.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #803 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is nothing to "lay off" because we simply need to reconcile our differences in terminology or this will happen again either in this thread of another, and someone else may over-react to strong comments that they read.

It's their fault if they over react (suno) not yours, but we could help to minimize those problems before they happen. There is a real problem with yours, mine, or other members terminology not being anything alike. You said "very" forward, we we say it is just forward. That's what people were contesting, the "very", not the "forward" part. There's a graduated scale there - e.g. sucked out, very recessed, recessed, not recessed or forward, slightly forward, forward, fairly forward, very forward, and OMG get out of my face forward. I do see you've dropped it back to just "forward" and I would agree with that.

It also seems that you are re-defining someone else's statement of the uDAC having "more body / fuller sound to the music" as being "thick". If that is the case, then EVERY high-end full size amp I have is "thick", actually 80% of my amps are thick (no, I don't believe that). My goal is to have my system sound fuller with more body. Maybe the poster will chime in with what he meant by his "body/fuller" statement, because I simply don't interpret that statement the same way you do. It seems we can all agree that uDAC "has more body and fuller sound to the music", but we don't all call that "thick". Just because it is not "thin" sounding doesn't mean it's 180 degrees opposite to call it thick.

So, there is a problem with our terminology not meshing, and your definitions are too black and white for my tastes. If I said, she's not bad looking I'd be afraid you would say, "well, since she isn't gorgeous she must be homely." If I said it also sounds "rich", does that add to your argument that it is thick? I don't think so, but I'd be afraid to say that in case it does. Does my saying it can sound "vibrant" take away from the thickness, because then I can say "rich and vibrant" so that doesn't move it one way or the other? Or will you add my vibrant comment to support your argument that it is aggressive? I simply don't know, based on the arguments you've presented.

A 2V DAC output level that can overdrive a few (not all) amps if it's not attenuated is what I would call "loud", not aggressive. If it's too loud and you can turn it down, the "nature" of the sound doesn't change it's essence. If it's too aggressive how do you turn that down with the volume knob? I don't know, but apparently it can be here because turning down the volume pot reduces the output and stops overdriving the amps. And if the overdrive is gone, then is the aggression gone? If not, then that's not a good example of aggression. I do think you're previous definition of it being aggressive if it is punchy and forward would fit better. And Just because it's not polite doesn't mean it needs to be the 180 degree opposite of polite as you say. I and a few others would say it is something in between polite and aggressive. I don't know what I would name that, and I would rather describe what I hear and hope that people don't name it wrong.

Again, I don't argue where you may have found posts by some people who posted they thought it was grainy, or rolled off in the highs, because with their gear it might be. With certain IEM with certain tips it is rolled off in the highs, but I change the tips to a single flange silicone tip and they come back. With another IEM the uDAC can sound grainy, but I change the IEM tips and that is fixed. So, is it or is it not rolled off in the highs or grainy? It's both, depending on the gear, and relative to what you use as a baseline or comparison. With your gear it might be VERY forward and THICK. But you are confusing me with your redefining the use of THICK, or saying that you only called it forward when you went further than that by adding the "very".

Important - I do believe that it sounds to you the way you describe it with your gear. And, many of your descriptions of the sound are spot on with what I hear, but then you define (or name) those descriptions using words that don't fit with your descriptions. Nobody is impugning your descriptions or findings when you actually describe what you mean and leave the terminology out.

I think you're going a little overboard for a $99 DAC. Everyone knows what forward is, everyone knows what thin sounding is, everyone knows what thick or full-bodied is.

It's completely idiotic to say that "thick" needs to be "defined," but "full-bodied" doesn't. They're both equally descriptive and equally subjective.

What does "grainy and distorted" mean? You never asked that, either.

My words are there, just like everyone else's are. You're just nitpicking for whatever weird reasons you have, I can't really say what they might be. If I say it's thick sounding, that's what I mean. Anyone can take that or leave it as they will. Or else go grill the person on what "full-bodied" means. Yet you don't grill that person -- why not? Maybe "full-bodied" means something different to them. So you're being inconsistent and, to be honest, more than a little incoherent.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #804 of 1,841
I too believe thick and full bodied are not exactly the same... Ex I would call hd600s full bodied while bose Quietcomforts thick for example...

Or dt880s slightly lean sounding in tone due to a slightly recessed midrange with a punchy and full bass(not thick).

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #805 of 1,841
Quote:

I think you're going a little overboard for a $99 DAC. Everyone knows what forward is, everyone knows what thin sounding is, everyone knows what thick or full-bodied is.

It's completely idiotic to say that "thick" needs to be "defined," but "full-bodied" doesn't. They're both equally descriptive and equally subjective.

What does "grainy and distorted" mean? You never asked that, either.

My words are there, just like everyone else's are. You're just nitpicking for whatever weird reasons you have, I can't really say what they might be. If I say it's thick sounding, that's what I mean. Anyone can take that or leave it as they will. Or else go grill the person on what "full-bodied" means. Yet you don't grill that person -- why not? Maybe "full-bodied" means something different to them. So you're being inconsistent and, to be honest, more than a little incoherent.

I'm not overboard for a $99 DAC, it's not about the DAC anymore, it's about describing the sound in a way that wont mislead others whose definitions don't match yours. At this point I agree, maybe we just need to agree to disagree on some things. I'm not "grilling" the others because other people didn't take issue with what sounded like exaggerated statements.

Do you prefer thick or thin sound? In audio I think of thick as slurred, dense and slow.

BTW, is a full bodied wine thick or just robust?

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #806 of 1,841
Quote:

confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

wink_face.gif

Whoah, slow down there fella. I'm not "schooling" you on "language and expression" my friend. Nor did I say anything that would suggest that I encourage dishonesty for your impression on the udac. I'm simply saying that you need to stop putting words in people's mouths. If this turns into an re-evaluation of audio terms, I'm fine with that. You guys can go on ahead. But don't try to speak for others. As far as your honors degree in English... I'm sure you are familiar with the phrase "brevity is the soul of wit." Now go back and take note of how many times you repeated yourself. But that's ok... you've got a degree.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #807 of 1,841
This quibbling is really getting absurd.
rolleyes.gif

I hear it as thick. I don't know what else to tell you. Thin is thin, and thick is thick. If it's too much to one side, it's thin. So if it's too much to the other side, it's thick. Very simple. You can't have it only one way. "Too much one way is thin, but too much the other way isn't thick b/c we're pimping a FOTM."

Someone said it was "overly warm and boomy." Do you agree with that, Larry? No one said one word about that, so I guess everyone must agree that it's warm and boomy. No? Then why no grilling on that point? I'm sure getting crucified for "thick," at least -- and even because at one point I said *VERY.* jeezus h.
rolleyes.gif

If you don't like what I say, just ignore it. Simple. I don't see what the problem is with that. I'm not a sheep. I say what I mean and I don't bow down to peer pressure and group think. If you don't like it, don't read it. Problem solved.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #808 of 1,841
Just researched it just now to make sure I am not wrong with my use of thick above and I found J Gordon Holts Audio glossary saying...

thick: Describes sodden or heavy bass.

bloom: A quality of expansive richness and warmth, like the live body sound of a cello.

Stereophile: Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary

here it is for quick reference... a short version of the book

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #810 of 1,841
Oh and just to add more fun... Warm is different from boomy also... Some might agree that the udac is warm but boomy is a totally different thing. Warm is talking more about the lower mids while boominess talks about excessive midbass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back