FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Mar 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #1,591 of 1,841
Hello,
I would like to buy a nice DAC (Nuforce udac looks fabulous!) instead a PC audio interface, like Emu 404 or many others, to play music, using ASIO driver.

I wonder if this DAC is suitable for this. Is it seen by PC as an external audio interface? Is it suitable to play ASIO VSTi?

Thanks in advance

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #1,592 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going back and forth between the $189 Hifiman EF2, $199 Maverick D1, $220 iBasso D4 and $160 Aune MK2 SE, however I think I'm now leaning towards this one. More impressions and comparisons would be very useful.

I'm also interested in understanding why the Sabre DAC is better than competing products from Wolfson, TI etc. Are there measurements to support this claim?

Same here. Now I come down to uDac and Aune mk2. A bit leaning towards uDac just for its look. Really wanna hear some comparison between these two. Thanks.

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #1,593 of 1,841
I'm still loving my uDac
smily_headphones1.gif

Recently i've been itching for a pair of Sony MDR-F1 - has anyone used them with this little baby? i know they arent most popular cans, but heck, maybe someone will have some info
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #1,594 of 1,841
Ok... no replies to my short cable question so far...

...which begs a follow up question:

What kind of USB cable do you guys use to connect your uDAC to your laptops?

Do you get a 1m cable and just let it bunch up next to the computer, or what do you do?

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #1,595 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by eobet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok... no replies to my short cable question so far...

...which begs a follow up question:

What kind of USB cable do you guys use to connect your uDAC to your laptops?

Do you get a 1m cable and just let it bunch up next to the computer, or what do you do?

I use the one it comes with. So that's probably about a meter. When I use it with my laptop, it's easy enough to just snake around in a circle near me, or long enough for me to put the DAC down in a safe place. For my PC it's plenty long enough to reach up to my desk.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #1,598 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a short one I purchased form Monoprice...around a dollar for a gold plated heavy duty USB cable....amazing deal.

I agree the price is great but the gold plated usb cable I got from them is no different than any other usb cable I've seen in my household in terms of quality

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #1,600 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree the price is great but the gold plated usb cable I got from them is no different than any other usb cable I've seen in my household in terms of quality

Wow, at least they ship to the UK, but the price wasn't that great with international shipping.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sigh... why can't this be available in Europe?

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #1,602 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp_zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone else find that MS1 doesn't have good synergy with uDAC? Mine sounded horrible on the uDAC but very listenable on the FUN. Pretty much a completely different headphone.

What makes you think it's just system synergy at work here?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #1,603 of 1,841
Gold plating really only makes the contact point more corrosion-resistant. There isn't and shouldn't be any sort of sonical differences with that whatsoever. But hey, you can't go wrong with Monoprice for any sort of budget cable needs.
wink.gif

Quote:

Did anyone else find that MS1 doesn't have good synergy with uDAC? Mine sounded horrible on the uDAC but very listenable on the FUN. Pretty much a completely different headphone.

My RS1, if it has bowls, sounds decent with the uDAC. What makes your MS1 sound terrible to you with the uDAC? Just curious. And how does your other cans perform on it?

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #1,604 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gold plating really only makes the contact point more corrosion-resistant. There isn't and shouldn't be any sort of sonical differences with that whatsoever. But hey, you can't go wrong with Monoprice for any sort of budget cable needs.
wink.gif

My RS1, if it has bowls, sounds decent with the uDAC. What makes your MS1 sound terrible to you with the uDAC? Just curious. And how does your other cans perform on it?

on the uDAC the MS1's mids are more recessed, the highs are piercing and the bass is loose. On the FUN it's more even tempered.

The AD900 and RE0 sounded fine on the uDAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes you think it's just system synergy at work here?
smily_headphones1.gif

Just have a feeling, that's why I'm asking :p

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #1,605 of 1,841
Quote:

on the uDAC the MS1's mids are more recessed, the highs are piercing and the bass is loose. On the FUN it's more even tempered.

Sounds familiar - I just can't remember where I've heard that before.
devil_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back