FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce NE-700X earphones / IEM (non-mic version) - post your thoughts here
Jan 13, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #91 of 235

Quote:
Quote:
Finally sound (purely an novice's audio impressions) - I consider these the NE-6 on bass steroids. The sound is excellent if you like an IEM tilted toward the bass end. If you prefer crystal clear mids and highs then you might want to look elsewhere.  That's not saying the NE-700x's high and mids are bad, it's just an IEM whose strength is bass. The sound IMO is easily equal to the Visang R03 with superior bass. I'm very pleased with their sound. To sum up if you want an affordable, tough as nails, bass heavy IEM then Nuforce 700X are exactly what you are looking for.

I know you're not very experienced and all, but I want something that satisfies the entire spectrum.  I really like my Denon D2000s and Senn HD25s.  They have good bass but also clarity when it comes to the other areas of music (the senns get the mids great while the Denon's do good on the highs).  If these can work as an extension of those two, then I'll be a happy man.

If you like the D2000 you will like these.

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #93 of 235

Quote:
How does the NE 700X compares with the Brainwavz M2? They are equal in price.

The M2 are a little warmer sounding, and a little fuller in the lower mids, so more forward and a little less airy and detailed in the highs.  The M2 bass is slightly less controlled, and maybe a little stronger in the impact department.  Both are fun and enjoyable for a budget IEM.  

The M3 add a little better bass control over the M2, and while they sound slightly more refined they don't seem to add a lot to the detail and air or ambience.  The M2 is closer to the M3 than the NE-700x, but I don't know if I'd want to pick just one of them.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #94 of 235
well first day with them, I'm not sure how I feel about them just yet.

I wasn't wowed by them automatically like I was when I listened to the HD25s the first time, but then again, no IEM really "wow" me.

I own them out of convenience (on the go, no or light baggage).

It's my compromise when I can't bring the big boys with me.

I'll give it a day or two to give full judgment.  I will say the bass quantity is more than I'm used to from an IEM so far, but I we'll see how this plays out.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #95 of 235
 My first post here, and I'm only doing so because I'm a huge fan of the NE-7s. I've had the NE-700Ms for a week now and have decided to return them.

While the bass response is amazing, I find the sound to be disappointingly hollow. The mids are very ressessed. The highs are very detailed, but actually to the point that they seem harsh. It's too bad because the NE-7s were something like a revelation to me.

The decision to return was made tonight after I tried rotating between my TMA-1s, the 700s and the 7s. Of the three, the 700s were the most empty sounding, like there was a major gap between the bass and treble. The 7s were actually not a terrible step down from the TMAs.

I will say, the 700s have a wonderfully broad soundstage.

Has anyone else tried the 700Ms? Is there a chance I just got a bum pair? For now it's back to the NE-7s.

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #96 of 235

Quote:
Has anyone else tried the 700Ms? Is there a chance I just got a bum pair? For now it's back to the NE-7s.

I think they're acceptable, but I'm considering returning them as well.

I think it's just too bassy for my tastes and I love bass.

for hip hop it's great, but everything else seems excessive.

the problem now is finding a decent replacement with a mic and a less bassy sound.

I will say however that I really like the build quality of these headphones.

Nuforce finally got it right.  It's so good that it's making it hard for me to replace it.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #97 of 235
The build quality is what's held me back too. They're beautiful and feel great. It's too bad the sound isn't clicking with me.

If you figure out the right replacement, let me know.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #98 of 235

Quote:
The build quality is what's held me back too. They're beautiful and feel great. It's too bad the sound isn't clicking with me.

If you figure out the right replacement, let me know.

I was going to go with the Thinksound TS02+mic, but I just abuse my headphones too much and I'm not saying the Thinksound's aren't quality (for all I know, they could be better in that dept.), but I know these are good and I can't have the luxury of owning them at the same time.  So I guess I'm sticking with it.

It's not horrible, just a tad more bass than I prefer for my taste.  The soundstage positioning is different than the D2000s which tend to love bass as well.  But I'm getting used to them.  I think I'll save up and buy some ER4S's in the future (if only they'd add a mic).

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #99 of 235
I want to clarify, as stated in my original review, that the bass in these becomes stronger for me with a deeper insertion. But I listen with a shallow insertion, which lessens the bass for me, so I haven't been reporting them as bass heavy. The sound does change with different ears, tips and position in the ear.

I'm listening to them right now via Macbook Pro > uDAC-2 > NE-700x with Pink Floyd "Animals" and to me the bass is just right, with nice deep impact and weight. If I push them in deeper, I do hear driver flex for the first time, and the bass levels definitely increase. I have not been pushing them in deep enough to get driver flex before. The bass is still not too much when wearing them this way. This is coming from someone who feels the RE252, DBA-02, Phonak PFE and W2 have enough bass, so I'm not a bass head in the sense that I only like bassy phones.

Just in case the uDAC-2 was holding them back in the bass dept, I tried them again via my HDP DAC > built-in amp and SR-71b, and my Pico DAC > ALO Amphora, and I'm not hearing an over-boosted bass. Bass is certainly strong and fun though via the Amphora with Pink Floyd.

Just in case Pink Floyd is recorded slightly bass-lite as many 70's and 80's recordings are, I switched to a modern recording B.o.B. "Dont let me Fall" and the bass is just right to my ears, although a bit stronger via the Amphora than the uDAC-2, SR-71b or HDP. Only with the Pico DAC > Amphora does the bass approach levels being described here, especially with Infected Mushroom, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. It reminds me of a Denon D2000, with a little less rich sounding mids than any of the Denons.

Edit - one other thing. I've switched over to my M3 and I find the bass to actually be very similar to the NE-700x with the Amphora amp, but the high end sparkle, ambience and air is slightly muted in the M3 vs the NE-700x which sound more open to me.

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #100 of 235
I changed the tips after typing up that last post (yes, one hour ago) and I can report that the bass toned down a bit more.  The tips I'm using are actually smaller and shorter than the one's included (seriously only a tad bit shorter and smaller).  They came with my old creative ep-630s. and I think the "air" and reduced isolation has tamed it to more enjoyable levels for me. 

These are excellent sounding headphones there's no doubt about that.  But the bass is THE most defining element of them IMO.

Do you have any recommendations as far as tips go?

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #101 of 235

Quote:
I changed the tips after typing up that last post (yes, one hour ago) and I can report that the bass toned down a bit more.  The tips I'm using are actually smaller and shorter than the one's included (seriously only a tad bit shorter and smaller).  They came with my old creative ep-630s. and I think the "air" and reduced isolation has tamed it to more enjoyable levels for me. 

These are excellent sounding headphones there's no doubt about that.  But the bass is THE most defining element of them IMO.

Do you have any recommendations as far as tips go?

Well, I plan to try some Shure E2c tips tomorrow.  Those are a clear improvement on the NE-7M.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #103 of 235
Now you've got me seriously wondering if I got a defective pair, because these do not sound as either of you describe. Think I'm going to send them in and exchange them for a replacement pair to give it one more shot.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #104 of 235
You could also ask them to test it to see if it sounds fine or not. If it sounds like it should then it probably isn't for you. If there's something wrong with it you could give it another shot.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #105 of 235
Does the presence of a mic change the sound substantially? 

Also, I haven't seen any comments on the quality of the mic for phone use. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back