First Impressions: ALO Audio the "National" Portable Headphone Amp (The Continental's Younger Sibling)
Nov 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #61 of 91
Received mine today and after five hours or so am really enjoying it.  I listen to mostly classical and have noticed some of the referred to congestion in the busier pieces but nothing I can't live with and hopefully it will clear up with time.  The gr07mkII's really shine but it's been excellent with everything I have plugged into it. 

It will open up. Mine was slightly congested but now I am enjoying it.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #62 of 91
It will open up. Mine was slightly congested but now I am enjoying it.

How many hours, roughly, does it need before it starts to open up? I have had mine for 5 days and have listened for about 2-3 hours a day so far. I am finding it quite a dark amp at the moment compared to my TTVJ ......... The high's seem to be virtually none existent and very receded (I am using a DIY modded iPod and Silver / Gold LOD and IEM cable with 4.Ai)

It's like there is a blanket over the sound at the moment, which I am really not enjoying :frowning2:

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #63 of 91
How many hours, roughly, does it need before it starts to open up? I have had mine for 5 days and have listened for about 2-3 hours a day so far. I am finding it quite a dark amp at the moment compared to my TTVJ ......... The high's seem to be virtually none existent and very receded (I am using a DIY modded iPod and Silver / Gold LOD and IEM cable with 4.Ai)
It's like there is a blanket over the sound at the moment, which I am really not enjoying :frowning2:

Again, each individual's listening trait may be different. Out of the box, I wasn't so happy but after about 20 hours, I am enjoying it. For my purpose of using iems and low impedance phones and primarily for commuting. I have not even tried my HD600 as I feel that it may drive it well but may not provide the edge that my previous SR71A provided. But for my listening pleasure and without technical talk and graphs , I am very happy with this amp and I agree with Shigzeo's review.:)

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #64 of 91
Quote:

I may have listened to it as long as you have. I like it much more than I did when I first listened to it. I wouldn't say that the highs are non-existent; in fact they have a ton in common w/ my Neco Soundlab w AD8610. I find the treble indistinguishable (IMO). What it does have is way more bass weight and warmth. But I agree with the overall assessment its a dark amp. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #65 of 91
Well having listened to the ALO Amp extensively over the weekend, I can say there has been a vast improvement and I am really beggining to enjoy this amp alongside my moddded iPod and both my 4.Ai (thanks imackler) and Beyerdynamic T70p.

I am now starting to get the wider soundstage mentioned previously and the high frequencies are starting to become more noticeable (in a good way). I find the 4.Ai are probably a little bit too sensitive sometimes, with some background hiss using the High setting, switching to the Low setting tends to sort this, but then of course I tend to lose some dynamics.

This is a great amplifier for the money and one that I am sure will continue to improve over the next few weeks. 

Does anybody have any experience of running High impedence cans through it and what sort of response do they get?

Today I have had my iPod Touch connected to the amp playing Spotify and I must say this definately gives the modded ipod a run for its money....listeniing to Fink's Wheels Turn Beneath my Feet sounds amazing as does Ann Brun's It All Starts Here. Plenty of Bass impact which is solid and the mids for the vocals are very detailed with excellent sepration and soundstage.

The more I listen to this amp the more I love it!!

Regards

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #66 of 91
Well having listened to the ALO Amp extensively over the weekend, I can say there has been a vast improvement and I am really beggining to enjoy this amp alongside my moddded iPod and both my 4.Ai (thanks imackler) and Beyerdynamic T70p.

I am now starting to get the wider soundstage mentioned previously and the high frequencies are starting to become more noticeable (in a good way). I find the 4.Ai are probably a little bit too sensitive sometimes, with some background hiss using the High setting, switching to the Low setting tends to sort this, but then of course I tend to lose some dynamics.

This is a great amplifier for the money and one that I am sure will continue to improve over the next few weeks. 

Does anybody have any experience of running High impedence cans through it and what sort of response do they get?

Today I have had my iPod Touch connected to the amp playing Spotify and I must say this definately gives the modded ipod a run for its money....listeniing to Fink's Wheels Turn Beneath my Feet sounds amazing as does Ann Brun's It All Starts Here. Plenty of Bass impact which is solid and the mids for the vocals are very detailed with excellent sepration and soundstage.

The more I listen to this amp the more I love it!!

Regards

Drives my HD600 with no problem on hi gain.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #68 of 91
Quote:

Since I posted my last question I actually bought a pair of HD650 headphones for use in my office and agree with you both that "The National" does drive these exceptionally well. Really impressed with the results of this set-up actually.

I found that the stock cable was a complete pain to use in the office and so upgraded to a shorter Silver Plated Copper cable and I am getting really good results with this. It has definately increased the detail I get with the HD650.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #69 of 91
Since I posted my last question I actually bought a pair of HD650 headphones for use in my office and agree with you both that "The National" does drive these exceptionally well. Really impressed with the results of this set-up actually.

I found that the stock cable was a complete pain to use in the office and so upgraded to a shorter Silver Plated Copper cable and I am getting really good results with this. It has definately increased the detail I get with the HD650.

Enjoy your 650. I see that you have a wonderful setup.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #70 of 91
Thanks Mate.....I enjoy these setups a lot 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #71 of 91
I just ordered a silver National. Looking to use it as my other portable. Can't wait to hear it. From what I've read, I am anxious to see if I'll like the signature. My other choice was the Pico Slim, but I liked the idea of more power better than the ultra-portability. Well see...

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #72 of 91
I just got the amp the other day and have been listening to it exclusively. Very nice. Excellent build quality. First impressions right out of the box are great. I need more to really hear what it can deliver but I like it vey much. A little heavier than what I expected.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #73 of 91
Went for a short hike this morning with my iPod Touch 3G, National and V-Moda XS. Very nice sounds. The XS have low impedance so the National didn't even break a sweat. Very light weight to carry around and the sounds were just great. Nice range in all places, way more than enough to drown out traffic. Easy to adjust volume when in my pocket. One of the reasons I chose a larger analog vol pot rather than the newer digital ones. No mistaking the volume control. Just a very nice amp to travel around on walks and such. Was a little worried that the amp was going to be too big (I was considering the Pico Slim instead of ALO) and it is manageable. There is some heft to it but it will fit in my pocket without protest. I am glad I went with the ALO as there is more useable power here and can power some higher impedance phones as well. Just another tool to pick from when needed.

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #74 of 91
Hello Everybody,

I have the opportunity to get an ALO National for a very good price and I have also been looking at the Fiio E12. I want to pair one or the other to my recently ordered Fiio X5.

I was wondering if you guys ever had the chance to listen to these two Amp and if so what were your conclusion. This setup will be driving my Momentun and my DT880.

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #75 of 91
I love my National. I thought it was more warm than the E12. The only thing I see the E12 does better is the fact that it is slimmer, easier to pair with other stuff. Other than that, I would take the National any. My 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back