First Impression: Antique Sound Labs' Twin Head Mark II
Mar 23, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #91 of 99
I don't want to sound like I am in the least bit attempting to contadict anything Joe is saying here,he is the designer of the Twinhead.I happen to think the Twinhead sounded very good driving the K1000 to sane volume levels.It never sounded strained or like it was working really hard playing the Mobile Fidelity Allman Brothers "Live at The Filmore" or the Sonny Rollins disc I used to audition it at CES.I will freely admit that the OTL32 sounded more dynamic and had more slam but lacked the sweet midrange that only the 2A3 tubes of the Twinhead can provide.Joe is being modest about the capabilities of the Twinhead.I said it then and I'll repeat it now,The Twinhead MarkII is the very best standalone tubed headamp I have heard.Joe need'nt offer any excuses for this one.It his masterpiece headamp and will certainly be the measure by which all others are judged.This is taking into account only the performance as a headamp.The preamp performance is even more amazing.I say couple this preamp with an amp such as the 2A3 powered Tulip that I am using or one of ASL's other great loudspeaker amps and solve your amp/preamp problems for life.I have been in love with the Tulip and Twinhead since first hearing them both.

Mar 23, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #92 of 99
Joe,

I took a look at your web site and I couldn't find the manuals for the TwinHead and TwinHead MK2. Do you have any idea when they might be available or did I just miss them?

What is the estimated tube life for the various tubes in the Mk2?

Mar 23, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #93 of 99
As for the manuals, I don't think the amp is available to the public yet because I haven't heard of Divergent (the company who are to receive the first shipment) getting their amps yet. As such, the manuals aren't available. Normally Joe doesn't make the manual available online but puts the circuit diagram up when he has time (I think...)

As for tube life it varies wildly depending on what tubes you use etc... Joe has said before that the Twinhead being a pre doesn't drive 2A3s too hard so they get a longer life than they normally would in a power amp.

Mar 23, 2003 at 1:16 PM Post #94 of 99
Sorry if my question was a bit simplistic, I'm a tube newbie (other than musical instrument amplifiers), and this amp sounds like a real winner. Since I am looking for a headphone amp right now, I was just trying to get an idea of what the tubes would wind up costing me for maintenance and how often. Thanks for the info!

Mar 23, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #95 of 99
Don't sweat the cost of the tubes... they last quite a while and are cheap to re-tube. Valve Art 2A3's are barely $20 each, Sovteks are $30 each, and if you want TJ meshplates or another exotic 2A3 they are about $125 each but can last years.

If the Twin Head Mk II is in your price range, the last thing to worry about is the cost of tubes!
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2003 at 2:48 AM Post #98 of 99
Thanks for the info Nick, as soon as I feel good about the funding I think I'll be picking one up!

Apr 25, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #99 of 99
I've just upgraded my Senn 580's to 600's; added a Grado SR-325 (32 ohm); plan on adding a Sony CD-3000 (32 ohm) and AKG-K1000. I'm planning on a listen-off with my Microzotl to sort out the cans, then upgrade to the Twin Head II. But if I prefer the Sony 3K over the HD-600, the Twin Head II might not be the best move. So... anymore listening impressions with low impedance cans? Also, anywhere in the NYC area I can hear a Twin Head II, anyone? Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back