First high-end IEM--Monster Turbine Pro Copper
Feb 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fizzle

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, 

I managed to get a very very nice deal on the MTPC just last night (163$ CAD from futureshop). I have been listening to them since I got them and I am, well, confused. There seems to be an imbalance between the left/right earphones. I have tried multiple sources and tips to compensate for fitting issues and time and time again I reach the same conclusion:

The left earphone has less bass... and then I listen to them for a while and the perception disappears and things seem to be balanced again until I remove and reinsert. Certain songs are worse than others (for example, john mayer is very bad for the imbalance whereas jimi hendrix is not). Not really sure what is going on here, any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 12
This happens far to often from my experience so far with IEMs. Although I dont have the coppers, I have experienced this with my M2s and slightly with my C3s. I thought my right ear was going deaf for a few days and I kinda had a minor freak out, but after swapping some tips and making my friend try both pairs out, he confirmed exactly what I have been experiencing. I would try to take them back as soon as you can if I were you. An imbalance can not only effect overall sound quality, but most of all can and WILL annoy the you know what out of you.

Look into the ER4p from Etymotic. These are supposed to be perfectly balanced, they dont leave the factory unless each driver is tuned exactly the same as the other. But, the bass will be nothing close to the coppers

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 12
Are you sure you have an authentic pair? This definitely should not happen and 163 CAD for a pair of Coppers seems too good to be true. Futureshop does not appear to be an authorized dealer. Either way sending it in ASAP to get a replacement is recommended.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 12
I got my MTPG from Futureshop and had them replaced by Monster because one driver became more silent than the other. Futureshop is a authorized seller but how did you manage to get a good deal like that?

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 12
Thats pretty cheap for coppers..

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 12
So just cracked the new ones open after the exchange--people at futureshop were baffled at how i managed to pay so little. Holy hell they sound amazing. The last pair had a massive problem. They don't even sound the same... not even close. The last ones had no bass and it all sounded muffled. Even so the left ear had less bass and sounded more muffled than the right. Not sure what went wrong there but they were terrible. 

Compared to the DDM: better? Not the sound.. maybe the sound is about even. Build quality/comfort/isolation are much better 

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #8 of 12
Please divulge what US retailer they price matched? I can't find those things for anywhere near that amount. I bought a pair for 275 (cheapest I could find in december) and those things were counterfeit. I could not imagine being able to get it for 166 US. Is it possible that futureshop price matched a fake pair?

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Please divulge what US retailer they price matched? I can't find those things for anywhere near that amount. I bought a pair for 275 (cheapest I could find in december) and those things were counterfeit. I could not imagine being able to get it for 166 US. Is it possible that futureshop price matched a fake pair?

It was a very, very lucky PM to be honest. I couldn't believe they did it. I pricematched to amazon.com for 231$ but the cashier lady charged me 163$--which is the price difference on the 399$vs231$ sale price on amazon.com. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 12
You sir, are hella lucky, congrats on the great deal. I thought futureshop doesn't do price matching with US retailers and not to mention that price error the lady did there.

Well if the coppers are your very first high end IEMS, you will be pleased, though you had the DDM before and I find them pretty similar in terms of the sound.  

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 12
I bought my Coppers on ebay for $82. The seller said it's refurbished and checked by their company and indeed it was genuine. However, it had the unbalanced bass problem, which many people on Head-Fi had. I just RMAed it today with Monster. 

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
You sir, are hella lucky, congrats on the great deal. I thought futureshop doesn't do price matching with US retailers and not to mention that price error the lady did there.

Well if the coppers are your very first high end IEMS, you will be pleased, though you had the DDM before and I find them pretty similar in terms of the sound.  

I most certainly am lol thanks. I couldn't believe it when it happened. And yes I am quite pleased, the sound signature is very much like the DDM but the usability (isolation, comfort, cabling etc) set these as my primary phones. 

Quote:
I bought my Coppers on ebay for $82. The seller said it's refurbished and checked by their company and indeed it was genuine. However, it had the unbalanced bass problem, which many people on Head-Fi had. I just RMAed it today with Monster. 

So the unbalanced bass thing is a prevalant issue huh. Well I didn't mention that i exchanged them 2 more times. 3rd pair was a charm. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back