First full size cans for someone coming from IEM's: Heir 4.ai, UE900, SM64 $300
May 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ethanw

Head-Fier
     OK, so I think I want to give some full size cans a try.  But here's the thing.  My main source will be an iPod Classic 7th gen.  I do have a Fiio E11, but nothing better for an amp.  I like a large spacious soundstage, and on the warm/bassy side of neutral.  Not too much extra bass, but just a hair above flat.  I don't have much tolerance for sibilance.  I'm open to closed or open shells (correct term?).  I'm looking to probably sell or trade one of my IEM's (so about a $300-$350 used value) to get my full size cans or perhaps smaller on ear/over ears.
     So  without a high end amp, can I get cans that will perform at the level of high end IEM's?  I'd love to hear what full size cans can do for bass and soundstage, but if I can't give them what they need in terms of source or power, then I might as well keep my IEM's.
     I like all music but country and opera, so no real help for you there.  I'm a former bass player so I want that little bit of bass boost, but I don't want it muddy or bloated.  I'd rather not get treble fatigue either.

THANKS!

May 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 4
Beyerdynamic DT880s have a good amount of bass for me. The 80 ohm versions would be easily driven by an E11. They're pretty much as neutral as you can get, so you might prefer some other phones

May 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 4
The he400 may suit you. It's a bit heavy and the comfort is decent. But you'd be able to get  good ortho sound/bass with just what you've got to amp with. There is a small treble spike that some have an issue with. Great cans though and would be within your budget. 

I don't think that the dt880 would be warm enough for you. I found it pretty neutral and for me, it did not have enough bass. Consider the dt770 and dt990 though. 770 for closed and 990 for open cans. Great build quality and can be driver pretty easily if you choose the lower ohm models. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back