First Final Audio Design Headphone
Nov 7, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #46 of 84
I tried the PianoForte X-CC this weekend, and fit/comfort is not really in Final's checklist of user needs.  However, I  have never heard any IEM like it in my life in terms of dynamics, micro-detail retrieval and control over the audible range. One of the most addictive sounds ever.

I would at least listen to these bohemoths once, and then spend the next week or so in traction to realign my vertebrae.

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #47 of 84
Do you mind listing all the IEMs you have been listening to...Thinking about it, don't bother.
I am amazed this company is still going despite coming up with the most ridiculous designs and charging silly money for it....

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #48 of 84
look like pots and pans

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #50 of 84

Quote:
Do you mind listing all the IEMs you have been listening to...Thinking about it, don't bother.
I am amazed this company is still going despite coming up with the most ridiculous designs and charging silly money for it....

Assuming you mean me, that day I did a side-by-side-by-side of Westone 2 and 3 (universal fit), JH Audio 11 (universal fit, not customs),  ACS T1s (customized demo pair) beside the PianoFortes.  Signal chain was constant throughout: MacBook Air, playing straight through ITunes (no Amarra or Pure Music),  Apple Lossless files of Clapton's Unplugged, Strauss' Die Fledermaus and some Gordon Lightfoot via generic USB to a GoVibe Porta Tube +. All headphone cables were stock.

The Westone's were OK, but bass shy for lower bass in the lower octaves.  The ACS T1s, despite not being fit for me, had great isolation due to their soft shell material and great range, from bass to treble. Very impressed.  (I bought a pair of these).  The JH 11s were unlucky enough to be demo-ed between the ACS and Finals.  The JH 11s sounded like the frequency cut off below 250 Hz, not just shy but missing entirely. I had to double check that the connections were tight and that these were actually JH 11 and not Apple Buds.  Really not impressive at all.

The PianoFortes are a) really heavy for IEMs and b) the least ergonomic shape since the old yellow Sony SportWalkman that sat at 90 degrees to your head, the ones that stabbed into the temples.  There was little isolation with the PianoFortes and no sense of a good fit.  Plus the fact that the are metal and therefore were very cool temperature-wise, made for a pretty unconventional fit.

But as soon as the source started playing it was really easy hear tiny details made audible and incorporated musically into the mix.  No "best I've ever heard" or hyperbole, but really made me want to listen more, and wished I had more of my own source material.  Did I think about getting a pair?  For about 2 seconds, until I was quoted a price that made my eyes water.  Just not realistic. On top of that,  I don't understand the audience for these.  They're not truly portable; the buds fit so sloppy, I would imagine them falling out after just a few walking steps.  But the cord was so short (1 meter?), that you would have to be sitting at your system to do any critical listening. My listening seat is about 2+ meters from my amps.  But I will go back and listen to their demo pair a few more times. 

If you find a place to audition them, I would recommend it.

IEMs I own and use regularly are Westone UM-2 and a pair of Ultimate Ears, but I can't remember which model.  I have close to 2 years with these 2 pairs, but both were unavailable for the demo (the UM-2 finally need a cable replacement >sniff<).

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #52 of 84
I love it, the crazier the better.  I'll be first in line to buy the first spiked set of headphones dipped in poison, perhaps even one that spits real acid onto your face! 

Seriously...what the hell is going on with all these insane designs, lately.

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #56 of 84
FIRST FINAL AUDIO

oxymoron if I ever heard one

This would make for a nice discussion piece in my mansion after going for a spin in my yacht before I wake up and remember I'm still living in a studio apartment in Brooklyn

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #57 of 84
Quote:
Their earbuads are so expensive and flawed. If you like their sound signatures, they are so nice to listen to. I'm somewhat curious.

Do you mean the Piano Forte II?

Quote:

This would make for a nice discussion piece in my mansion after going for a spin in my yacht before I wake up and remember I'm still living in a studio apartment in Brooklyn

Pretty much nails it, they are called Final Audio Design for a reason, but they make high-end audio products, and use proprietary drivers in their IEM's, so they're not the "Vertu" of mobile phones, more like an elite brand of cars where there's a mixture of expensive design and high performance.

To be fair I've only heard the FI-BA-SB, so I can't be entirely sure, this is just the way the company seems to me.

Nov 13, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #60 of 84
Why does head-fi lose it over weight?
The LCD2's are not that heavy and certainly not uncomfortable with about 45 minuets of listening. Even my Grandpas old quadraphone headphones, I swear you need a crane to pick up aren't uncomfortable to wear for long listening sessions, it does not hurt your neck, it does not tire your neck. I know you're joking but do you use braces to hold your head up because it's just to much strain or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back