First DAP recommendation
Jul 25, 2018 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

IkSak

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

I'm considering getting a DAP and I'm asking for recommendations based on your experience. My requirements are these:

- Must be able to stream from Tidal. File support is not a priority for me, neither is storage capacity
- It will be used for IEMs (Shure SE 535, Hifiman RE400) and some Open Back (HD700, MD Focal Elex and Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow)
- I appreciate a good GUI and fluent touch response
- I'd like to spend around 350 or less, but I can consider stretching my budget a bit if an alternative is worth it.

One question I'd also like to ask is how does quality compare to desktop setup (e.g. a Bifrost + Lyr2)? and to portable amp setup (e.g. a Cayin C5 or a sub 200 amp)?

Thanks in advance for you help

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 12
I got the fiio x5iii as my dap, the UI of it is not the smoothest but the touch respond is quite good. I only spent HKD2400 (roughly about $300) to get it. The power output of it is decent for me. I personally use the acoustune hs1551 and I only use low gain and 1/4 of the volume. That's just my opinion for your reference.

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 12
Hi all!

I'm considering getting a DAP and I'm asking for recommendations based on your experience. My requirements are these:

- Must be able to stream from Tidal. File support is not a priority for me, neither is storage capacity
- It will be used for IEMs (Shure SE 535, Hifiman RE400) and some Open Back (HD700, MD Focal Elex and Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow)
- I appreciate a good GUI and fluent touch response
- I'd like to spend around 350 or less, but I can consider stretching my budget a bit if an alternative is worth it.

One question I'd also like to ask is how does quality compare to desktop setup (e.g. a Bifrost + Lyr2)? and to portable amp setup (e.g. a Cayin C5 or a sub 200 amp)?

Thanks in advance for you help

Your requirements make me think of the HiBy R6, but that's far out of budget at >500 USD
With the headphones you have I actually think they deserve a great source, which will cost more than $350...

The HiBy R3 also ticks the boxes for fluid UI and Tidal streaming, but I am not a huge fan of the SQ and the power output is on the low end, too low for some of your phones. I am pairing the R3 with the Chord Mojo, which would tick all the boxes, but together it is even more than the HiBy R6.

Maybe get a Mojo and pair it with a phone for streaming? You can find used Mojos for around 400.

Here's my HiBy R3 + Mojo combo. I am working on a 3D printed case for stacking them.
3205CA94-1119-4AB6-ABD6-5E23D3C34467.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the advice!! I've been giving some thought to getting a Mojo, but I currently have a Cayin C5 that I use for that. The idea of getting the DAC is having something less cumbersome at hand than two devices (phone + portable amp). I'll look at the HiBy

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 12
Did you notice any difference in quality between these two? Which headphones did you use?

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 12
Your requirements make me think of the HiBy R6, but that's far out of budget at >500 USD
With the headphones you have I actually think they deserve a great source, which will cost more than $350...

The HiBy R3 also ticks the boxes for fluid UI and Tidal streaming, but I am not a huge fan of the SQ and the power output is on the low end, too low for some of your phones. I am pairing the R3 with the Chord Mojo, which would tick all the boxes, but together it is even more than the HiBy R6.

Maybe get a Mojo and pair it with a phone for streaming? You can find used Mojos for around 400.

Here's my HiBy R3 + Mojo combo. I am working on a 3D printed case for stacking them.

I'm sorry for the aside OP, but I just have a quick question; does the R6 stream Tidal as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back