First DAC
Jan 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BoogieWoogie

500+ Head-Fier
I need a DAC to use with my laptop and WD TV , I have been reading there is allot of talk about the DacMagic and the 19MK3 from the reviews they sound good but the real question is really this worth the 500$ ?

Aren't there much more less expensive DACS that perform as well or near ?

What are your recomendation with a ~500$ budget.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 6
^^^^^^^

Good suggestion -- in today's market an EAD 9000 might be had for similar price (maybe just a bit more). I still run Resolution Quantum DACs with a Cesium transport. The 20 bit 8x os DACs with the Ultra Analog chipsets from the 90's are still among the sweetest, most analog sounding pieces of equipment you can find. In addition to EAD and Resolution Audio, there are former top of the line DACs from Sonic Frontiers, Theta and others that shared similar design and the same chipsets.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a little over your budget, but one of my favorite DACs that I've let go (and regretted it ever since) was the NorthStar m192 MK1.

well.. it's in good hands
wink.gif

At the moment I prefer the VDA2, close to budget too.
It gives a bit more soundstage than the M192 and sounds a little cleaner. I did prefer the M192 with Grado's and it has found it's sweet spot in my speaker setup now, so if probably depends on equipment too.

Jan 14, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 6
I've been doing lots of research on DACs in the same price range -- here are a few of the more popular/well reviewed ones...

Cambridge DAC Magic ($429) -- balanced and RCA outs, supposedly usb input is not up to snuff
Musical Fidelity V-DAC ($299) -- stripped down housing but solid DAC, rated as good or better than DAC Magic if you don't need balanced outs, etc. Included power supply is junk and should be upgraded
Headamp Pico ($350) -- tiny but a very good DAC, comparable to V-DAC but somewhat more attractive, usb is the only input so this may not work for you, runs off internal battery not a psu
Channel Islands VDA2/VAC1 ($600) -- lots of detail, if my memory is correct no usb input
PS Audio DL III ($700) -- popular DAC, lots of detail like the VDA2/VAC1, balanced outs and usb input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back