First AKG K701 impressions.
Jan 12, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #196 of 431
Umm, this is awkward. I am currently deciding between the K701 and the HD650.

I want something that would complement my Grado HF-1, and was originally leaning toward the K701. But since my musical taste is more along the lines of JPop/JRock/R&B/Dance/Rap with a preference for female vocals outside of rap, so perhaps Mastergill's perspective might be closer to mine.

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #197 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Nothing against you too... but your discuss is too simple... how can you speak of "euphonic effect" without listening that amp... or you are telling that ALL the tube amps are just for those who like "euphonic effect", not agree !!!

You got it wrong. I was explicitly referring to the unnecessary amplification stage left in the signal path for euphonic purposes. That's about $2750 (half of the amp) paid for effective inaccuracy. And you were advocating it, from a plausible point of view. So I supposed that's your general approach when it comes to amps. And no, for me tube amps aren't generally less neutral.

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #199 of 431
JaZZ, how do you feel about the concerned phones' aesthetics to sound (and vice versa) interrelationship? My own wisdom tells that there necessarily is a discernable one (at least with commercial audio products), somewhere, somehow...
icon10.gif

I sure can advocate a relation of this sort about the HD650...

I bet it would be the same if I heard the K701.
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #200 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
JaZZ, how do you feel about the concerned phones' aesthetics to sound (and vice versa) interrelationship? My own wisdom tells that there necessarily is a discernable one (at least with commercial audio products), somewhere, somehow...
icon10.gif

I'm not sure if I can follow you here, but you're not serious anyway, are you? Maybe the SA5000 sounds a bit like it looks, and since I have a clear image of how the HD 650 sounds, I meanwhile «see» the sound in its look, too.

Quote:

wink.gif

Yes, certainly! I would make a big curve around the K 701 if I were you.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #201 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
icon10.gif

I sure can advocate a relation of this sort about the HD650...

wink.gif

Very good point, Andrea. I love the elliptic HD-650's earcup shape. It allows a perfect seal around the ears for a very good bass response i think. OTOH the round K701's shape may give a nice sense of depth, but it's less open than HD-650 and it affects the soundstage's width IMO. Just suppositions i'm not acoustician.

Edit: Hey i hope you meant overall design or something, not just the look
blink.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #202 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
You got it wrong. I was explicitly referring to the unnecessary amplification stage left in the signal path for euphonic purposes. That's about $2750 (half of the amp) paid for effective inaccuracy. And you were advocating it, from a plausible point of view. So I supposed that's your general approach when it comes to amps. And no, for me tube amps aren't generally less neutral.

Oh... I apologize if I misunderstand you (!?).

But, the same, the tubey pre of the Leben CS-600 is not "only" a more tubey sound, just a bit... but add POWER and life to the k 701, I can hear this especially on the bass... and this is very, very good for the sound of this cans.

Best!
Nicola

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #203 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atropos
you said you are using bass heavy music for burn in. How much do you turn the volume up on the Aria? Wouldn't be the optimal "break-in" music be HipHop with all the bass?

Yes, hip-hop seems like a good break-in signal indeed.
wink.gif
I have mostly used my NAD 3220 integrated (my computer amp) for break-in, which allows to turn the bass control up for this purpose. The volume level used corresponds to about 11½ o'clock on the Aria with a common 2-volt CDP output, but then there's the additional gain in the bass.

Jan 12, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #205 of 431
Quote:

@JaZZ

Is there a way to break the cans or the quality etc of the sound if the volume is too loud? I mean just to ruin how they sound

Yes, if you put too much power through the drivers you'll blow them. Think about the small surface area of the voice coil dispersing that much heat, or over-excursing the drivers and bottoming them out. It's definitely possible to break headphones with too much volume.

That's why burn-in advocates say "louder than comfortable listening volume but not distorting;" most headphones are capable of ear-splitting SPL, and louder-than-comfortable is likely well within their capabilities.

Jan 12, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #206 of 431
Quote:

Is there a way to break the cans or the quality etc of the sound if the volume is too loud? I mean just to ruin how they sound.

Of course you can ruin it by too high currents or voice-coil displacement so that the voice coil either gets crushed or melts. But below the thermal and mechanical capacity limits there should arise no damage independent of volume level. Just take care to avoid distortion!

NotJeffBuckley was faster than me (and described it well).

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #208 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
Very good point, Andrea. I love the elliptic HD-650's earcup shape. It allows a perfect seal around the ears for a very good bass response i think. OTOH the round K701's shape may give a nice sense of depth, but it's less open than HD-650 and it affects the soundstage's width IMO. Just suppositions i'm not acoustician.

Edit: Hey i hope you meant overall design or something, not just the look
blink.gif

Yep, I agree, that must have by itself some influence on the sonic presentation.

But well, ehm, I'm not certain I didn't mean the simple looks at all, like color combinations, harmony of shapes, possible overall kitsch-effect and such things.
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #209 of 431
You may be right about pure aesthetic in fact. I absolutely hate the bling-bling audiophile stuff, you know chrome, wood and all that stuff. Some speakers are also so awfully looking that it can't sound good, no way!. I love the look of high-end pro audio gear because it's the fonction who must dictate the look and not the opposite IMO. And i don't want to pay for an expensive box.

I liked the K701's look, a sort of retro sci-fi, if that makes sense
icon10.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #210 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
You may be right about pure aesthetic in fact. I absolutely hate the bling-bling audiophile stuff, you know chrome, wood and all that stuff. Some speakers are also so awfully looking that it can't sound good, no way!. I love the look of high-end pro audio gear because it's the fonction who must dictate the look and not the opposite IMO. And i don't want to pay for an expensive box.

Precisely my sentiments, too.

Quote:

I liked the K701's look, a sort of retro sci-fi, if that makes sense
icon10.gif

Now, doesn't the sound vaguely mirror that, maybe?
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back