First AKG K701 impressions.
Jan 6, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #46 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
I know deep inside me that the HD-650 in a carefully tuned and tweaked setup just smoke everything, including Orpheus...for rock and pop. I know that. But this is just ONE opinion, mine.
Because to my ears i've found the Holy Grail of headphone sound reproduction, i can be over-enthusiastic, but man, when you found something really good you want to share, you want and almost need to talk about it!

I can understand and reproduce that, because I hear those HD-650 qualities, too. It's just that I think you should give the K 701 more time and not hastily draw conclusion before the «official» break-in time is over.
tongue.gif

Quote:

But both are very close sound-wise. The K701 is slightly bright and the HD-650 slightly dark.

I agree (got mine today!). They are much closer than I expected from the reviews.

Quote:

You got a very good clarity in the midrange with K701 but i suspect they cheated a little, the brightness can give a sense of clarity. The HD-650 is ultra smooth in comparison and i think that's because they are a little more neutral, but i'm not 100% sure, again they are very close about neutrality.

After just six hours -- and having overcome the initial artificiality and squawkiness -- it sounds very good and quite organic to my ears. Still the HD 650 is smoother and clearer, also and especially in the midrange, also more pristine and clean, the K 701 being very clean as well. On the other hand the latter is somewhat snappier and livelier, less midrange-centered, although the HD 650 still seems to have the greater high-frequency extension. I just did the pink-noise test to figure out if there are obvious colorations. Surprise: the K 701 sounds almost as neutral as the HD 650 -- very similar to a waterfall --, and both have the same slight enhancement with a relatively narrow lower-treble band, just a tad more conspicuous with the K 701 because of its louder treble.

Quote:

I think if you really like your HD-650 you don't need K701 and vice versa. Both seem to crave for power, i think the K701 needs even more juice than HD-650.

My K 701 has about the same sensitivity as the HD 650, just a trace above.

What I can tell so far is that I like the K 701 and will definitely keep it. It's very smooth, no hint of sibilance or screechiness, and the bass is surprisingly strong, almost comparable to the HD 650's in quantity, and already has very good texture and substance -- no comparison to the K 501. The treble could use some more extension and sharpness, but is already much better in this regard than it was out of the box. The midrange isn't as smooth as the HD 650's yet, but offers a better texturing and liveliness. The spatial presentation is good with both, with the K 701 having the edge when it comes to the width and the HD 650 when it comes to the depth. -- This after six hours.

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #47 of 431
I received my K701 today too and initial impressions are very positive in my portable iPod/Hornet setup.

I can understand the tendency to play these headphones loud, but so far I think they sound fine at low volume.

More to come.

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #48 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
...with the K 701 having the edge when it comes to the width and the HD 650 when it comes to the depth. -- This after six hours.

LOL, i thought the exact opposite!

I think K701 are too bright for me anyway. It's kinda 'light' and maybe it can be tamed a little more with burn'in. I hate brightness, this is why i love the Senns.

I've tried some rap music...no way you can beat HD-650 about bass response, so intense, this is my sound...
580smile.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #49 of 431
Thanks for the impressions JaZZ, do you still have the Aria prototype? If you do would you mind giving a short comparison between the K701 and HD650?

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #50 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-xenos
Yes, I have absolutely the same impression.
I compared the HD650s and K701s so often, with three different kinds of headphone amps,
but I really can't imagine how someone using approriate amplification could not notice the bigger soundstage and more precise positioning of the K701s.

I have the 701 for little time, and I have had for so much time the 650. Besides I don't have any interest, I am a simple impassioned and for me the 701 is to a very superior level to the 650.

Patu, the fan boy is andrea / canarino that the troll in www.videohifi.com in wich constantly publicizing the 650: him was expels.

Patu, yours sibilant are a defect of your cd player or of yours amplifier: THE 701 IS REVELATOR!

Xenos, for me, the really fan boy, are you and friends (for sennheiser 650, of course..)

S.

Jan 7, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #51 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by green84061
Thanks for the impressions JaZZ, do you still have the Aria prototype? If you do would you mind giving a short comparison between the K701 and HD650?

I was using the Aria prototype, as it's my main amp to date. But keep in mind that those are what the thread title sais: first impressions. I expect the K 701 to change quite a bit.

Jan 7, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #52 of 431
Yeah you are right you should wait for them to change really seeing as a fair amount of people say they need 300 hours to bloom I am getting quite anxious to get my aria so its more of me not having patience, cant wait to hear more (not first) impressions from everyone.
icon10.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #53 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradino
Patu, yours sibilant are a defect of your cd player or of yours amplifier: THE 701 IS REVELATOR!

Like I haven't said it myself about million times already? What makes it mysterious is that I haven't had sibilance with any other headphones I've tried with this combination. Not even SA5000 which are generally slightly brighter than K701.

But anyway, I can't take your comments seriously anymore.

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #54 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradino
I have the 701 for little time, and I have had for so much time the 650. Besides I don't have any interest, I am a simple impassioned and for me the 701 is to a very superior level to the 650.

Patu, the fan boy is andrea / canarino that the troll in www.videohifi.com in wich constantly publicizing the 650: him was expels.

Xenos, for me, the really fan boy, are you and friends (for sennheiser 650, of course..)

S.

Jesus Christ, you've spent almost more time trashing Andrea and Canarino than you have wildly supporting the AKG K701.

No one's attacking it and yet you feel the need to defend it without cause or question.

And the drama importation is way, way uncool - you need to cut that out, the moderators have already warned you about that.

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #56 of 431
K701 and/or HD650 may be in my future somewhere, although frankly I'm wildly happy with DT880/K501 combo, with my inexpensive gear. Senn clamping force really bothers me a lot these days, I can hardly bring myself to even wear the HD580.

Both HD650/K701 sound to me like excellent headphones, with the edge going to personal preference. I wonder, with two systems (each tuned carefully to the particular headphone)... bet they would be on approximately equal footing. This is a guess of course, not having heard them myself... JaZZ, what do you think?

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #57 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
K701 and/or HD650 may be in my future somewhere, although frankly I'm wildly happy with DT880/K501 combo, with my inexpensive gear. Senn clamping force really bothers me a lot these days, I can hardly bring myself to even wear the HD580.

Both HD650/K701 sound to me like excellent headphones, with the edge going to personal preference. I wonder, with two systems (each tuned carefully to the particular headphone)... bet they would be on approximately equal footing. This is a guess of course, not having heard them myself... JaZZ, what do you think?

The HD650 is a bit tight on the noggin, no doubt about it. On the relative Senn-o-scale of comfort, I'd say:

0 (HD280 Pro) --- 5 (HD650) --- 7 (HD580/600) --- 10 (HD595) --- 13 (Audio Technica A900 cameo!)

That's not to say that they don't become more comfortable over time as everything wears a bit to your head. I don't find mine uncomfortable even for long listening, but it's a steady pressure.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #58 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
The HD650 is a bit tight on the noggin, no doubt about it. On the relative Senn-o-scale of comfort, I'd say:

0 (HD280 Pro) --- 5 (HD650) --- 7 (HD580/600) --- 10 (HD595) --- 13 (Audio Technica A900 cameo!)

That's not to say that they don't become more comfortable over time as everything wears a bit to your head. I don't find mine uncomfortable even for long listening, but it's a steady pressure.

I expect HD650 is more or less identical in clamping force to the HD580/600 (someone correct me if I'm wrong)... if so, as a matter of comparison to the DT880 it's like mafia torture, believe me. Much of this stuff is relative though, so perhaps I could get used to it again over time.

As it stands, I can't bring myself to wear Senns after becoming accustomed to the comfort of the DT880 and K501. It actually feels like my face is turning white and draining of blood, that's how big the difference is.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #59 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
I think if you really like your HD-650 you don't need K701 and vice versa. Both seem to crave for power, i think the K701 needs even more juice than HD-650.

I don't beleive that's true! I will be using the K701, and HD650 for totally different musical situations. Some older recorded CD's, lack the sparkle in the upper end, and the darker HD650 can use a break, so that's where the K701's come in. They work beautifully together!
600smile.gif

I am glad they sound different, now I can use both!
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #60 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I expect HD650 is more or less identical to the HD580/600 (which I've had experience with)... if so, as a matter of comparison to the DT880 it's like a gentle grip vs. mafia torture, believe me. Much of this stuff is relative though, so perhaps I could get used to it again over time. As it stands, I can't bring myself to do it after becoming accustomed to the comfort of the DT880 and K501.

You can expect it all you'd like, but that doesn't make it so I'm afraid. It's notably tighter than the aforementioned two.

Edit: And I wish it weren't, honest! Though it really does improve with break-in...

See what I did there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back