Firestone Fireye 1?
Aug 8, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #16 of 26
Hmm... I have just had another look at the Fireye 1, and a crazy thought just struck me...

It would appear that it's USB connection, is not a USB connection at all, but rather, just a socket for its charger!

So it would appear to not be serviceable as an external sound card at all?

Have I reached the correct lines which you have already been thinking on?

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #17 of 26
I think you already find the answer to your own questions.

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

The Fireye 1 is a super small headphone amp that's perfect for boosting volume and vastly improving the sound quality of any portable player or computer. Gives you the needed power boost to drive high end headphones and hear over loud background noise.

It's amazing how the obvious always gets overlooked (!)

However, the Fireye II does have a volume control and USB connectivity.

2 different products for 2 different uses.
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #19 of 26
Well, Fireye II doesn't even has an analog input (line-in), which means it purely functions like an USB DAC for your PC. Consider NuForce Icon Mobile (as both an USB DAC and a portable amp with line-in) is $99, no wonder Fireye I ($77) and II ($97) don't get much attention.

Fire Stone used to have pretty innovative products, but now it seems they are sliding down hill. I guess losing David Lin as their chief designer really hurts the company.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 26
I only require USB computer audio functionality, so the Fireye II looks ideal for me.

Also, it is less than half the price of the iBasso D2 Boa, which is a big plus for me. I imagine that any perceivable difference in 'sound quality' would be negligible at most.

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #21 of 26
I must say, by way of update, that I purchased the Fireye II some months ago, and I am absolutely delighted with it. It drives my Shure SE420s like nothing else I have ever experienced before, and I am delighted with the performance!

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #22 of 26
I have experience with both the FEI and FEII - each have draw backs, but for the prices now (55-77$), they are very good products. and the FEII works as a digital pre amp as well which most amps in the price range do not. I wish both units did not hiss, and could drive low ohm balanced armatures well, but they do a very good job (very good) for the price and are built better than a lot of the competition. That said, I agree with ClieOS at elast about the fireye 1 which is... lacking.

Fireye I
Fireye II

Dec 27, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #24 of 26
Well, I am accutely aware of hiss, a fact which among certain people has become rather a joke, but the Shure SE420 may also not be as sensitive as my earphones. My wife, too, noticed the hiss. It isn't as bad as the Fireye I, and is quite tolerable. Considering its excellent price, decent output performance and the fact that it can be used as a pre-amp, it is a killer device for the price, certainly blowing my mind.

Dec 27, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #25 of 26
If you are using earphones such as the Shure SE530s, or similar, then I can indeed understand that you may experienced a distinct hiss with practically any input device. The SE530s are of such notoriously low impedance that a hiss can hardly be avoided.

Perhaps this is the problem which you report?

Do you find this hiss with other input devices?

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #26 of 26
With all of my earphones, yes, I detect hiss, but all are sensitive; a couple more so than the SE530. The FEII does not hiss with my headphones nor is it intrusive at all with phones such as the v-Jays or Zino. I think it is an amazing product for the price and for the features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back