Firestone Fireye 1?
Mar 23, 2009 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

userlander

Banned - aka walrus1 - aka vidranger1 - aka iggy-starnuts
Mar 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 26
There isn't a volume control on the amp. You can't really use it with line-out at all
frown.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 26
well thats pretty useless isnt it
confused.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There isn't a volume control on the amp. You can't really use it with line-out at all
frown.gif

Why not? You just use the volume control on the device as usual, and the signal is amped by the fireye, right?

would this be a better choice? iBasso I need ultra-portable is the reason I don't just get a desk amp.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 26
when you use line-out on ipod the vol. ctrl doesn't work, thus the volume ctrl on amp is impt. if you just plug in through headphone out the signal will probably be degraded as it goes through more stuff.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when you use line-out on ipod the vol. ctrl doesn't work, thus the volume ctrl on amp is impt. if you just plug in through headphone out the signal will probably be degraded as it goes through more stuff.

I see, thanks. I don't have an ipod, I just use a PCDP now. That has line out, but I've never used an amp with it, always just plugged into HP out.

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 26
Typical line-out on most players has fixed gain, which mean it is usually at maximum volume. You can't use that amp with that kind of line-out or else you will be deaf very soon. Using headphone-out is acceptable when the SQ of the headphone-out is decent, but not every player has such good quality headphone-out. Amping mediocre headphone-out is really less than ideal when there is a line-out that you just can't use it.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well thats pretty useless isnt it
confused.gif

Only iriver lineout can do
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Typical line-out on most players has fixed gain, which mean it is usually at maximum volume. You can't use that amp with that kind of line-out or else you will be deaf very soon. Using headphone-out is acceptable when the SQ of the headphone-out is decent, but not every player has such good quality headphone-out. Amping mediocre headphone-out is really less than ideal when there is a line-out that you just can't use it.

It does seem pretty useless then (unless you have an iRiver, I guess
tongue.gif
). The search for a good sub-$100 portable amp continues. thanks for the info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 26
Sansa Fuze on older firmware can do that too. Its volume is digital controlled, like the old iriver. Sandisk already disabled that function on the latest firmware.

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone ever used this amp?
Battery Headphone Amplifier - Battery Headphone Amp - Fireye 1 Micro Headphone Amplifier

I searched the forums and I didn't see even one post about it. The cute amps seem pretty popular, so I am surprised to hear nothing about Fireye. There's not even much on google. I'm wondering mostly if it's enough to drive K601s, or if there's a way to tell that from the specs.

I have had the Fireye 1 for 2 months.
I hook it up with a Sony Walkman A816 and Audio Technica ATH-ES7 cans.

I'm using the volume control on the player.

I recently also bought a Pocket Amp 2 from Gary Ali.
The Pocket Amp 2 has heavier base but the Fireye has clearer mids and highs.

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 26
Gents, I fear you may have overlooked something important, in your hasty critique of the Fireye I's lack of volume control for PC use...

Please see the comments on this page, following a review of a similar product:

iBasso D2 Boa Headphone Amplifier Comments - TrustedReviews

For iPod use, no volume control may be a problem. But for USB computer earphone use, I imagine that a volume control would be useless!

Who wants to take their hand off the mouse to tweak a volume switch, when Winamp, or VolumeMouse, can do this task more conveniently, and without degradation of sound quality!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gents, I fear you may have overlooked something important, in your hasty critique of the Fireye I's lack of volume control for PC use...

Mate, you have completely overlooked the fact that D2 Boa is an headphone amp with USB DAC (acting like an external soundcard when connected to PC), which Fireye 1 is not.

Using Fireye 1 to double amp your PC internal soundcard is what going to cause degradation of sound quality.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS
which Fireye 1 is not

Is it not??? If that is the case, then I am very glad to have had the opportunity for this to be pointed out to me!

However, please forgive me if I am wrong, but the details on what seems to be the distributor's website seems to suggest that the Fireye 1 does act as a soundcard, and does provide an analogue output to a 3.5mm jack.

So surely it must contain a DAC, in order to act an external soundcard, and turn a USB signal into an audio one?

But you say that the Fireye should be distinguished from the D2 Boa, in that the former does not contain a DAC?

Would you help me understand about this, please?
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back