Firefox 3.5...
Jul 15, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #76 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone answer this? When one tab crashes, do they all crash still?

I already answered to this. When one tab crashes, usually the whole browser crashes and you have to close it through the task manage. Sometimes it closes by itself though. This is very rare nowadays.

When you restart the browser it asks you if you want it to restore the previous session or to start with blank page.

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #79 of 90
Quote:

Can someone answer this? When one tab crashes, do they all crash still?

Yes. As most other browsers, besides Google Chrome and Stainless.

Quote:

Well that stinks. I dont know why they can't fix it so when one tab craps out, only that tab closes.

Feel free to supply the needed source code changes (patch). It is an open-source project you know...

I think you can start here:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Content_Processes
Answers and Questions » Blog Archive » Electrolysis: Making Mozilla Faster and More Stable Using Multiple Processes

Jul 18, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #81 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I downloaded upgrade 3.5.1. I don't see any difference. Has anyone else here downloaded 3.5.1?

Probably because the changes are under-the-hood.
From the 3.5.1 Release Notes:
  1. Several security issues.
  2. Several stability issues.
  3. An issue that was making Firefox take a long time to load on some Windows systems.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #82 of 90
I tried it on the Windows side of my notebook (P3 1,13GHz, 384MB RAM), and it took 20+ minutes to load my last session (~250 tabs, 3.0.11 takes ~5 minutes), and is unusable the whole time. Then, once done, it's changing memory use constantly, so it's very slow (swap thrashing), then once that settles down, the toolbar buttons disappear, and only the initially focused tab in each window will display images...and it's slow and choppy on top of that, even w/o HDD use. Tried copying my session into a clean profile to check, and got even worse results (no ABP or Noscript to help out).

I'm confident they'll sort things out, but I'm going back to 3.0.11, at least for a few dot-revisions.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #83 of 90
I am using Firefox 3.5.1
Before when I was using 3.5, I would often get a "Server not found" message and it would take a refresh or 2 for the page to show up, but since 3.5.1, it has not happened. I do notice that 3.5.x is quicker than previous versions on my machine.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #84 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried it on the Windows side of my notebook (P3 1,13GHz, 384MB RAM), and it took 20+ minutes to load my last session (~250 tabs, 3.0.11 takes ~5 minutes)

Tell me this is a typo. 250 tabs?

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #86 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me this is a typo. 250 tabs?

No typo. Since Tab Mix Plus was the only way to do it, I've basically not had to worry about it (the integrated session saving is far superior in terms of reliability). I keep enough separate windows up, and all works fine. [size=xx-small]Except in FF 3.5.[/size] Like email, I start it after login, and don't shut it down. I use the Session Manager extension, so I can pop open FF for something quick, without losing what I had, as well, should the need arise.

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #87 of 90
What? just open windows as you need them. Sheesh

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #88 of 90
Upgraded to 3.5.1 but still experiencing the same frequent errors with loading pages. When it does load, yes, it is noticeably faster but most of the time, pages are not loading.

Downgraded back to previous version again, sigh
frown.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #89 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? just open windows as you need them. Sheesh

Why bother? I can have a ongoing session, crash-proof within about 30 seconds. If I see an interesting link, I can open it, and get back to it later, without cluttering up bookmarks or anything, which is much more of a hassle. Patterns in favicons make it easy enough to keep track of individual windows. If Firefox breaks by using its own features, it's not my problem to fix by taking advantage of them less.

For all intents and purposes, I can basically treat FF like it never shuts down. One more step towards the way computers should have been operating for at least the last decade (if it weren't for HDDs being slow, hibernation would be a good step in that direction, too).

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #90 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No typo. Since Tab Mix Plus was the only way to do it, I've basically not had to worry about it (the integrated session saving is far superior in terms of reliability). I keep enough separate windows up, and all works fine. [size=xx-small]Except in FF 3.5.[/size] Like email, I start it after login, and don't shut it down. I use the Session Manager extension, so I can pop open FF for something quick, without losing what I had, as well, should the need arise.

Tabmix plus is the best add-on for Firefox after Adblock+. I'm still waiting for the update. I found an alternative with far less options but it works for now. You should try it also. It's called Tab Mix Lite CE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back