Firefox 3.5...
Jul 14, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #61 of 90
Upgraded to Firefox 3.5 last night after I got back from vacation. Major problems : 3.5 kept on displaying "problems loading pages" on every other page load. I finally gave up and re-installed previous version.

I have always liked using Firefox but the upgrade to 3.5 was a bad experience for me. Am now hoping the bug fixes will solved the problems.

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #62 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upgraded to Firefox 3.5 last night after I got back from vacation. Major problems : 3.5 kept on displaying "problems loading pages" on every other page load. I finally gave up and re-installed previous version.

I have always liked using Firefox but the upgrade to 3.5 was a bad experience for me. Am now hoping the bug fixes will solved the problems.

Weird that some people have this kind of problems. I have not encountered a single problem with 3.5. All pages load like always before, just faster.

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #63 of 90
It does seem noticeably faster than 3.0.

One minor annoyance I've noticed is that 3.5 seems to have lost the "busy" feedback cursor when loading pages, etc. Is anyone else having that problem, esp. windows users? I'm trying to figure out if it's a linux thing, a GTK2 thing, a window manager thing, or what might be causing it.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #65 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One minor annoyance I've noticed is that 3.5 seems to have lost the "busy" feedback cursor when loading pages, etc. Is anyone else having that problem, esp. windows users? I'm trying to figure out if it's a linux thing, a GTK2 thing, a window manager thing, or what might be causing it.

I've noticed this and first it was very annoying. Getting used to it though. Maybe they wanted to emphasize the speed of 3.5 by removing the hourglass icon when loading pages. IMO it'd be good to have a clear indicator that the page is still loading. I use WinXP.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #66 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed this and first it was very annoying. Getting used to it though. Maybe they wanted to emphasize the speed of 3.5 by removing the hourglass icon when loading pages. IMO it'd be good to have a clear indicator that the page is still loading. I use WinXP.

Good to know - thanks! I first thought what you did - that they were trying to give the illusion of things loading faster by getting rid of the feedback. I guess it's just going to take a while to get used to it.

Btw - I also noticed that the "throbber" indicator is gone. maybe for the same reason.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #67 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to know - thanks! I first thought what you did - that they were trying to give the illusion of things loading faster by getting rid of the feedback. I guess it's just going to take a while to get used to it.

Btw - I also noticed that the "throbber" indicator is gone. maybe for the same reason.

Try the add-on "Fission". It adds a progress bar to the address box, Safari-style. I like it a lot. Basically, the address bar turns progressively blue from left to right as the page loads, and back to white when complete.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #68 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here, I'll give you all someone to whip on ... me. I use IE7. Why? Simple: Less is best. I've used other browsers but as a computer engineer, I got tired of always fighting with some bug or flaw. To keep windows as stable as possible, I install as little as possible. Let the abuse proceed.

The thing most people really hate about IE is the way in which it tends to break pages and display things incorrectly. I've developed quite a few web sites, and IE is always the only browser that seems to screw up something. I'll check a page in FF and it'll be fine, same withe safari, same with chrome, and then I'll try it in IE, and guess what? Broken. IE is the enemy of all web developers who don't work for microsoft.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #69 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the add-on "Fission". It adds a progress bar to the address box, Safari-style. I like it a lot. Basically, the address bar turns progressively blue from left to right as the page loads, and back to white when complete.

Ha, this is awesome! It's not as slick/sleek-looking as Safari's, but it's just as much fun. Now my eyes don't have to keep flicking to the bottom-right corner to see if the page really is completely done loading.

Thanks for the tip!
smile.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #70 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing most people really hate about IE is the way in which it tends to break pages and display things incorrectly. I've developed quite a few web sites, and IE is always the only browser that seems to screw up something. I'll check a page in FF and it'll be fine, same withe safari, same with chrome, and then I'll try it in IE, and guess what? Broken. IE is the enemy of all web developers who don't work for microsoft.

The sad part is that it's just as true when developing for IE. I had to work on web apps internally that only needed to work in IE 6, then later IE 7. It was easier to do any changes with FF as the initial test case (having several dev extensions operating at the same time helped a lot, too), get it all working, then fix what IE didn't like, than try IE from the start.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #71 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The solution to that is simple: develop for IE. I still have IE6 on a testing machine because it is the most screwed up. If it displays fine on IE6, only small tweaks are required to make it work on anything else. If you develop on a browser that's not utterly broken, like Opera, you'll have to do major rewrites to make it work on other browsers.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #72 of 90
Every time i've tried Firefox i've given up after not a lot of time. It just feels so ... wrong. Been using Maxthon for ages (since it was called MyIE) and it's the only browser that lets me configure it exactly as i want, with the features that i like: Tabs (at the bottom, thankyou) mouse gestures, favourites that auto hide on the sidebar and appear when the cursor is close, super drag and drop (highlight a word or web addy, drag and drop and it opens a new tab as a search result or web page) and the ability to reduce the clutter to give the most screen real estate without using F11. And it's all customizable, so almost anything can be configured as you like.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #73 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha, this is awesome! It's not as slick/sleek-looking as Safari's, but it's just as much fun. Now my eyes don't have to keep flicking to the bottom-right corner to see if the page really is completely done loading.

Thanks for the tip!
smile.gif

thanks for this! firefox is great

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #74 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I actually use an extended statusbar add-on which pops up the status bar with progress bar, load time etc. always when loading a page. It disappears when browser is iddle. It works flawlessly.

Google Chrome is definitely my 2. favorite browser ATM. I had to install it once again last week and I even used it for the whole evening. I love the sleek design and speed it offers but it just lacks customizability. You can't even change themes from options, you have to change the theme file through windows explorer.

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #75 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me, does Firefox still have the "feature" when one tab crashes the entire window crashes? So if you have 6 tabs open and one freezes up all 6 close?

Can someone answer this? When one tab crashes, do they all crash still?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back