Firefox 3.5...
Jul 3, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #46 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3.5 deleted all my bookmarks when I installed it. I had to restore from a backup. Anyone else have this problem?

Mine didn't when I upgraded from 3.0 to 3.5.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #48 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3.5 deleted all my bookmarks when I installed it. I had to restore from a backup. Anyone else have this problem?

My bookmarks are untouched when I upgraded to 3.5. And all add-ons work just fine.

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #51 of 90
Nice to see that Firefox 3.5 is out.
Gave it a try, but like 3.0 (and earlier) it will not replace Camino as my favorite browser.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #52 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see that Firefox 3.5 is out.
Gave it a try, but like 3.0 (and earlier) it will not replace Camino as my favorite browser.

I just tried Camino, and it feels like an older, slimmed down version of Firefox. Just out of curiosity, what makes it your favorite browser?

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #53 of 90
Ubuntu upgraded FF to 3.5 for me and I haven't really noticed any difference except memory usage seems abnormally high.

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #54 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just tried Camino, and it feels like an older, slimmed down version of Firefox. Just out of curiosity, what makes it your favorite browser?

Yes, it is older in the fact that the initial release came out in 2002, while Firefox first came out in 2004.
Camino use Aqua UI (not XUL) and have tighter integration to the OS than Firefox. Like full address book, services, keychain, ... support. Hence Camino feels more polished and integrated than Firefox.

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #55 of 90
Here, I'll give you all someone to whip on ... me. I use IE7. Why? Simple: Less is best. I've used other browsers but as a computer engineer, I got tired of always fighting with some bug or flaw. To keep windows as stable as possible, I install as little as possible. Let the abuse proceed.

Jul 5, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #57 of 90
Running Vista SP2, Firefox 3.5 and no silly plug-ins. Firefox is eating 95MB RAM with 8 tabs, all sites have nice images and whatnot.
Very reasonable, yes?

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #58 of 90
I've had my fair share of fancy new Firefoxes. My desktop got the new one (time to find a good version that won't auto-update!), but I'm keeping it away from anything else for a couple weeks.

I can't stand other browsers for too long [size=xx-small](ABP+NoSscript+Firebug+RDR+Session Manager+great UI defaults=awesomeness; and faster than slimmer browsers lacking them, since ad sites tend to be deathly slow)[/size], but the Mozilla guys get a bit anxious to release, sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firefox 3.5 seems slower for me compared to Firefox 3.0. Granted I'm using W7 RC and only have 2gb of RAM, but it just seems a bit choppy compared to the previous iteration.

Arch Linux 64-bit with 8GB RAM, and I concur. It seems to be doing a lot of hard drive access (I have no swap file).

P.S. it appears there are new fsync bugs (that fsync is run too much), that were fixed for the 3.0 release, but they aren't affecting everyone.

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #59 of 90
I'm using Cometbird which is based on 3.0.11 Firefox because I have noticed a few bugs in FF 3.5 now and Cometbird is faster too. All FF plugins work in Cometbird too.

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #60 of 90
Skimmed though the first page so a lot of the post was TL;DR but,

My 4gb of ram are laughing at all of you.
tongue.gif

Anyway, I actually had to re-install windows yesterday and apparently I was running firerox 3 instead of 3.5, 3.5 had some stability issues when I was using meebo (lol new partition without trillian) and crashed a few times. I don't give a snot how much ram a application uses but if it's unstable I'm not gonna be quite fond of it.

That being said it hasn't crashed after that so meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back