Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Mar 21, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #6,106 of 6,230
Mar 21, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #6,107 of 6,230
Hugo TT2 is on my list to try, but how it compares to Mojo2? (personaly I rather dislike Mojo2, not worth the hype).
Still on the hunt for one unit doing everything well to my taste.

My best setup with Xe6 so far is Gryphon as DAC > bal 4.4 to XLR > Violectric V280 > ddHifi XLR4.4 adapter to LL Venom > Xe6 - warm, detailed, classy.
I'd go the other way :wink: Mojo2 is much more worth it than a Hugo 2. The TT2 is another animal.
I actually passed on the Gryphon for a Mojo2 but I thought for a long while before making that choice.

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #6,109 of 6,230
TT2 and Mojo2 are on different levels.
Mojo2 is inferior even to the Hugo2 (which I had for a long while, before the TT2) which sounds sub-par against the TT2.
If I could only find a one unit which sounds like the chain I mentioned - Gryphon DAC (with its X-Bass+Presence which is very useful sometimes, as a lot of music I am listening to is not on the highest recording level) with Violectric V280 rich and punchy sound :)

Tried a lot, had high hopes in iFi NEOiDSD2, but Gryphon+V280 is much better.
Also some Bursons - the same.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #6,110 of 6,230
Mojo2 is inferior even to the Hugo2 (which I had for a long while, before the TT2) which sounds sub-par against the TT2.
500 vs 2500. I'd hope so.

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #6,111 of 6,230
I have the Dave with m scaler had it for years, mostly use it with speakers as I find it’s overkill with most IEMs. Was never a huge fan of the Mojo or Hugo, the TT2 I felt was the true start of Chord sound signature. Not that either are bad, far from it just far off from the Dave while TT2 with m scaler is pretty impressive. Might not have bought the Dave if the TT2 was around, but the Dave at nearly a decade old is still great.

Liked the RN6 enough to get it in a custom, my favorite FIR.

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #6,113 of 6,230
Is it safe to assume that no two sets, all else being equal i.e. cable, tips, source, modules, ear anatomy - will not sound the same?

I ask because I recently had my Rn6 replaced for a new set however I’m finding it’s a fair bit brighter and theres less bass than the previous set. Also, the kinetic bass isn’t as apparent, that physical sensation. I’m running the same source, tips, cable and modules.

I’m sure Fir driver match between L/R channel and there’s probably a target curve just not sure +/- how many db.
Hi Kozwoz,

Did burn in process change anything?
I have new set as well now and I am finding what you discovered a while ago.
There is a lot of energy above 10k taking over the sound, meaning only normal listening volume is possible or bit louder but.... than I need to eq minus all above 12khz.
Is there burn in process for earphones as for speakers (in speakers it is about rubber to settle) ?
From my experience in home audio, listing at home and my friends very good systems, and what I hear now is more like studio monitor, bright and reveling , rather than high fidelity audio. Like I said, there too much energy in higher frequencies taking over the whole presentation.
I wonder if this has something to do with silver cable or A&K SE300. Will test it under Mytek Brooklyn, but waiting for 6.35/4mm adapter.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #6,114 of 6,230
Hi Kozwoz,

There is a lot of energy above 10k taking over the sound, meaning only normal listening volume is possible or bit louder but.... than I need to eq minus all above 12khz.
Is there burn in process for earphones as for speakers (in speakers it is about rubber to settle) ?
From my experience in hifi home audio, listing at home and my friends very good systems, and what I hear now is more like studio monitor, bright and reveling , rather than high fidelity audio. Like I said, there too much energy in higher frequencies taking over the whole presentation.
I wonder if this has something to do with silver cable or A&K SE300. Will test it under Mytek Brooklyn, but waiting for 6.35/4mm adapter.

If you’re listening to RN6 out of the box, it’ll be equipped with Red ATOM XS module. Swap in Black to see if that helps or even drop in Silver.

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #6,115 of 6,230
Hi Kozwoz,

From my experience in home audio, listing at home and my friends very good systems, and what I hear now is more like studio monitor, bright and reveling , rather than high fidelity audio. Like I said, there too much energy in higher frequencies taking over the whole presentation.

If you’re listening to RN6 out of the box, it’ll be equipped with Red ATOM XS module. Swap in Black to see if that helps or even drop in Silver.
Exactly that, and YES, there is a burn in! Wait and see.

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #6,116 of 6,230
Tried all of them. Silver most accurate, but Gold probably my favorite. But it does not solve over brightness.

Exactly that, and YES, there is a burn in! Wait and see.
Ok, will leave them to play without listening. Thanks!

In the meantime.
I took Mytek out of the wardrobe, diy furutech power cable with gold connectors, supra usb, and I reminded myself how good humble hd650 can sound when powered properly.

20240321_205438.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #6,117 of 6,230
Tried all of them. Silver most accurate, but Gold probably my favorite. But it does not solve over brightness.

Ok, will leave them to play without listening. Thanks!

In the meantime.
I took Mytek out of the wardrobe, diy furutech power cable with gold connectors, supra usb, and I reminded myself how good humble hd650 can sound when powered properly.

20240321_205438.jpg
I'm also undecided, but between Black and Silver. Maybe I like Silver more because of the thicker notes and coloration. Yellow is too much of a good thing for me. And black is perhaps too... thin for me? I think the Rn6 is borderline in terms of the size of the note. But please don't get me wrong: I love the Rn6!

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #6,118 of 6,230
I'm also undecided, but between Black and Silver. Maybe I like Silver more because of the thicker notes and coloration. Yellow is too much of a good thing for me. And black is perhaps too... thin for me? I think the Rn6 is borderline in terms of the size of the note. But please don't get me wrong: I love the Rn6!
I'm almost the opposite x'D.
I adore the red module, but when my Evo's were out for repair I mostly listened with the black to add some warmth back in. Silver would do it for me if I didn't have a bass set. But now that I got the Evo's back, straight back to red for the contrast in signatures.

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #6,119 of 6,230
I have to make my mind quickly as after Lasik surgery I can not see well from 20cm down, and this is required when you drop the filter, to know which side is for the tool.
Luckily we have phones with cameras those days, but.... takes too much time and it is prone to loosing/damaging the filter or earphone little hole :sweat: But it is good to have options like this. I also like that earphone is so small and comfortable thanks to it. Fells also solid thanks to aluminum shell.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #6,120 of 6,230
I'm almost the opposite x'D.
I adore the red module, but when my Evo's were out for repair I mostly listened with the black to add some warmth back in. Silver would do it for me if I didn't have a bass set. But now that I got the Evo's back, straight back to red for the contrast in signatures.
I have to make my mind quickly as after Lasik surgery I can not see well from 20cm down, and this is required when you drop the filter, to know which side is for the tool.
Luckily we have phones with cameras those days, but.... takes too much time and it is prone to loosing/damaging the filter or earphone little hole :sweat: But it is good to have options like this. I also like that earphone is so small and comfortable thanks to it. Fells also solid thanks to aluminum shell.

Yes, that really is the advantage of having a great IEM like the RN6! The option with the filters is simply brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back