Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 15, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #5,656 of 6,233
Hi, I just wanted to briefly let you know that the bass inbalance between right and lef iem I was concered about and thought it was due to Atomx modules was misjudged. When I tried Azla Sedna Fit size L instead of ML or other eartips the issue is gone.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #5,657 of 6,233
Hi, I just wanted to briefly let you know that the bass inbalance between right and lef iem I was concered about and thought it was due to Atomx modules was misjudged. When I tried Azla Sedna Fit size L instead of ML or other eartips the issue is gone.
It was just a matter of seal then.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #5,658 of 6,233
Hey all. I'm still having health issues, and struggling with work stability and life in general. I have barely been active on Head-Fi, but just wanted to pop my head in and once again offer thanks @bogdan belonozhko for a fantastic product. The rn6 are just so, so, so good. Makes me happy every time I get a listen in.

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #5,660 of 6,233
Hey all. I'm still having health issues, and struggling with work stability and life in general. I have barely been active on Head-Fi, but just wanted to pop my head in and once again offer thanks @bogdan belonozhko for a fantastic product. The rn6 are just so, so, so good. Makes me happy every time I get a listen in.
Wishing your speedy recovery and hoping things get back to normal for you. Just remember “This will pass” and keep listening Music 🎶

Dec 15, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #5,662 of 6,233
Get well soon and WUATB brother 🙏

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #5,663 of 6,233
I love my Rn6 custom. Recently used it for about 5h straight on a flight, I'm so glad I took the leap with it!

Hope things improve for you @CodenameBK201
Is the custom version much better than uni ? Especially related to the kinetic bass ? I love my uni version, but I can sense the fit is not 100% and was hesitating about going custom on this one. I was wondering how the kinetic bass would work on a custom pair as it is completely "stuck" against the ear.

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #5,665 of 6,233
Is the custom version much better than uni ? Especially related to the kinetic bass ? I love my uni version, but I can sense the fit is not 100% and was hesitating about going custom on this one. I was wondering how the kinetic bass would work on a custom pair as it is completely "stuck" against the ear.
At the risk of repeating myself, I'll just quote myself:

My recent comparison was with Uni Xe6 vs my CIEM, but here's what I wrote a couple weeks ago based on testing out both side-by-side for a few weeks. I suspect you'd experience similar with Rn6:

"I was also very interested to a/b the universal Xe6 vs my custom, and for this I did use the stock cable on both to take that variable out of the equation. Of course, these are probably 90% the same as each other, but that last 10% or so is pretty important I believe. With the custom you get much better isolation, a perfect fit, and the kind of long-term comfort that you can listen for hours on end with zero fatigue. Another lifestyle difference with the custom is that the ATOM modules are much easier to deal with. But the biggest difference I heard was that the CIEM is much more coherent than the universal. This is probably down to the difference in fit between them, and the perfect seal that you get with the custom. I had never thought coherence was an "issue" with the universal Xe6, but going back and forth it was more obvious which notes were being produced with the kinetic bass driver down low vs the BAs/estat up high on the universal; whereas with the CIEM the entire frequency response curve felt much more seamless and presented together as a complete whole."

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere, if you're at all committed long-term to the sound-signature of one of the Frontiers, CIEM is a total no-brainer. You're adventure with tips, getting the uni sat just right in your ear canals is of course not at all a thing with the CIEM.
If you think you're not getting a perfect fit with the Universal Rn6, well you can be assured you will get 100% perfect fit with the CIEM version. FiR are among the very best in the business when it comes to CIEMs, there's a good reason so many professionals use them.

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #5,666 of 6,233

If you think you're not getting a perfect fit with the Universal Rn6, well you can be assured you will get 100% perfect fit with the CIEM version. FiR are among the very best in the business when it comes to CIEMs, there's a good reason so many professionals use them.
Thanks for this, I completely missed your message ! Would you know if they need a fresh print ? I have one from 3 years ago but don’t know if it needs an update

Dec 16, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #5,667 of 6,233

Thanks for sharing this hard-to-come-by experience/comparison between the universals/customs for the XE6. 👍🏻

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #5,668 of 6,233
Thanks for this, I completely missed your message ! Would you know if they need a fresh print ? I have one from 3 years ago but don’t know if it needs an update
Depends if your current custom fits. I made my first custom 3 years ago and every one used the same impression, still fits like a glove.

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #5,669 of 6,233

I had a wild ride with the Azla Crystals last night going between M and M/S. The M/S are a deeper fit (but once you get skin oil/sweat w/e on the tips they slide out) and I found the difference to be between space and detail. The deeper fit is detail on steroids while the good fit with the same exact tip created some more space to the same exact passages in tracks. I can only imagine the CIEM's to be more on par with the M/S fit for me which is wild. While not a night and day difference its definitely a difference I'm not sure I know which version of the experience I prefer.

Edit: also with the deeper fit, the kinetic bass is more immersive. with the good fit, the quantity of bass doesn't necessarily change but the feel and the texture is just not quite the same. To think, the difference is millimeters (or less).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #5,670 of 6,233
Best to check with FiR directly if the impressions you have can be used for a new CIEM from them. They publish a handy guide here, might get you started:
https://www.firaudio.com/how_to_order

If it was me, I’d probably get fresh impressions. Ear shhape can change as you age, so considering the not insubstantial investment in a Frontier IEM, why not just get new modules done…

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back