Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Aug 3, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #4,846 of 6,233
I compared the Xe6 to both the "multiverse mentor" and the "jewel". ..
Edit** forgot to mention that these are my top three musical favorites so far. Over past ones I listened to like the Traillie & others.
They also are in category of larger soundstage IEMs.

The Xe6 was right in between both, in
terms of technicalities and musicality, with the "mentor" being a bit more lean and aggressive (reference type) in comparison, while the jewel was on other end, being a bit more laid back in dynamics and so beautiful but less involving than the other two.

The Xe6 in comparison, retained the positive traits of both, being more organic and effortless (like jewel) and equally exciting and involving as the "Mentor" while not as "aggressive" as the Mentor was slightly more in forwardness or dynamics.

In soundstage, the jewel is larger because the whole image is placed a bit further, while the Multiverse Mentor showed a larger soundstage by being deeper in image.
The Xe6 was in between, having both distance and deepness, which sounded most correct to my ears.

In comparison I found the Xe6 equally musical as the others, while retaining a cohesive balance to its extremely palpable kinetic subbass.

There was a track I played which had some rare deep subbass rumble ( * ), and I was shocked that while the mentor remained very revealing, it did not portray the lowest sub bass with as much impact as the other two.

I really glad I settled on the Xe6.
Although the other two have their own strengths and musicality, I feel this one sits between them on many aspects and so more flexible.

Hopefully later on in future I can test the Ra6, but I realized by trying these others, that I don't need a more analytical sounding IEM, when the Xe6 does it all, while I am using the RED modules...
awesome little review I also like the xe6 was wondering your favorite synergy with cables and amps with them

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #4,847 of 6,233
Yes, you're actually right, I misspoke. What I mean is, with normal IEM there is not the problem of someone hearing what I hear when they are next to me or in the same room. With the Xe6 universal what the sound leakage in that sense pretty clear. What about with the universal? So what if someone was standing next to it and I was listening to music? Would he still hear something?
Right, no the custom is silent for anyone nearby, the kinetic bass port is jammed right up against your ear and all the extra material of the custom creates a perfect seal.

I use mine commuting so even if there was a little sound leaking out, 🤷‍♂️

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #4,848 of 6,233
Right, no the custom is silent for anyone nearby, the kinetic bass port is jammed right up against your ear and all the extra material of the custom creates a perfect seal.

I'm using Xe6 with the red module and my snoring partner says she can hear it.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #4,849 of 6,233

Yes, Xe6 universal in my opinion is a nightmare with sound leaking.
I am using them in bed and my gf is hearing what songs I am listening to - with normal volume levels :frowning2:

But regarding this issue Xe6 are the best sounding IEMs money could get to my ears.
And the best for metal - especially regarding current awful, sterile digital production, they add 'analog' flavor.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #4,850 of 6,233
Yes, Xe6 universal in my opinion is a nightmare with sound leaking.
I am using them in bed and my gf is hearing what songs I am listening to - with normal volume levels :frowning2:

But regarding this issue Xe6 are the best sounding IEMs money could get to my ears.
And the best for metal - especially regarding current awful, sterile digital production, they add 'analog' flavor.
Couldn't agree more. But yeah, not the best for bedtime.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #4,851 of 6,233
That's good as it should help stop her snoring 😅

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #4,852 of 6,233

Another confirmation, thank you, I am now convinced!

You surely mean the universal? There I also had problems.

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #4,853 of 6,233
I also like the xe6 was wondering your favorite synergy with cables
My favourite cable with Xe6 is Effect Audio's Code 23. Extends both ends in a way that I like and the stage seems wider too. In terms of tips, I find the SednaEarfit Xelastec the best.

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #4,855 of 6,233
My favourite cable with Xe6 is Effect Audio's Code 23. Extends both ends in a way that I like and the stage seems wider too. In terms of tips, I find the SednaEarfit Xelastec the best.
Sound wise I would agree, but ergonomic wise Code23 is an emphatic No for me. Earhooks are so stiff they twist universals out of my ear with a slight movement of my head, and I’d be afraid to use with CIEM because of the torque they impart on the 2-pin connector.

EA’s Cadmus 8w and Eros S are just about as good sonically and orders of magnitude better ergonomically I’m finding.

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #4,856 of 6,233
Sound wise I would agree, but ergonomic wise Code23 is an emphatic No for me. Earhooks are so stiff they twist universals out of my ear with a slight movement of my head, and I’d be afraid to use with CIEM because of the torque they impart on the 2-pin connector.

EA’s Cadmus 8w and Eros S are just about as good sonically and orders of magnitude better ergonomically I’m finding.
I have neither the Cadmus nor the Eros but I have no doubt either will do well with Xe6. I have to agree with you about the Code 23 ergo and my bad for not disclosing this. I usually do and I invariably get someone telling me that they are ok with the ergo! For me, I only ever use the Xe6 in a desktop environment and so the ergo (or lack of) is within control!

Aug 4, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #4,857 of 6,233
awesome little review I also like the xe6 was wondering your favorite synergy with cables and amps with them
No amp. Just RS8 dap.
Get a similar top dap that doesn't need an amp.

Cables are more personal choice. They account for around 2-3% of the sound quality. The stock cable is already a good cable, so to improve you would have to go for a good one that has a consensus for being good.

I have owned all copper and all silver, and both did well. The worst ones for me were the silver plated. It's hard to find one that's really good. Most silver plated give an excited sound, but also some confusion in image coherence. Mixed wires is better than plated. Gold either plated or mixed did not do anything wrong either.

I recently sold my nice, flexible silver "Cleopatra" cable (excellent cable), and replaced it with the big thick Liquid "Venom" cable, as I am not using it outside portably, but instead at home.

This is one of the most transparent cables I ever heard, similar to the excellent PW Audio cable types, like the one that comes with the Oriolus Traillii.

The cable segment is full of countless cables to try. The problem is that there are many cables that are utterly soft, flexible, and beautiful, having just the looks, instead of having the transparency.

No matter how esoteric and fancy a cable is, not many have the top transparency. So it's going to be a challenge and personal choice.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #4,858 of 6,233

No amp. Just RS8 dap.
Get a similar top dap that doesn't need an amp.

Cables are more personal choice. They account for around 2-3% of the sound quality. The stock cable is already a good cable, so to improve you would have to go for a good one that has a consensus for being good.

I have owned all copper and all silver, and both did well. The worst ones for me were the silver plated. It's hard to find one that's really good. Most silver plated give an excited sound, but also some confusion in image coherence. Mixed wires is better than plated. Gold either plated or mixed did not do anything wrong either.

I recently sold my nice, flexible silver "Cleopatra" cable (excellent cable), and replaced it with the big thick Liquid "Venom" cable, as I am not using it outside portably, but instead at home.

This is one of the most transparent cables I ever heard, similar to the excellent PW Audio cable types, like the one that comes with the Oriolus Traillii.

The cable segment is full of countless cables to try. The problem is that there are many cables that are utterly soft, flexible, and beautiful, having just the looks, instead of having the transparency.

No matter how esoteric and fancy a cable is, not many have the top transparency. So it's going to be a challenge and personal choice.
That a cable brings an improvement of 2-3% or, as others say, 5-10% I personally cannot claim. I certainly cannot quantify such an improvement. Therefore, I can not understand first of all, to what extent one can talk about percentage here. What I can say for sure, however, is that it is my personal feeling cables produce a greater improvement than common more or less equivalent DACs or DAPs. In general, I feel the improvement between a stock cable (Jewel, for example) and First Times is HUGE! Not only that, with cables I notice changes not only on a technical level, but also quite strongly in tuning. In this respect, cables are not only about improvement, but also about change at the same time. Of course, this implies the use of "good" (about 2000 USD) cables. It may be that inexpensive cables are different or more or less the same. I find it very interesting to find through cables the synergy adequate for themselves. If only they were cheaper...

By the way, I certainly wouldn't call The Bird's stock cable or maybe PWAudio‘s „transparent“, on the contrary!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #4,859 of 6,233
By the way, I certainly wouldn't call The Bird's stock cable or maybe PWAudio‘s „transparent“, on the contrary!
Correct. Im not specifying properly. I'm not talking about the aspects of the cable, but how real the music comes thru. Clarity&realism , not "transparency", which would imply a neutrality or no change.

The variance of people noticing cable changes (most noticeable in IEMs, IMO) can vary much because of the setup, notably between the source & the specific IEM. Probably most of the sensitivity (of noticing) are attributed to this, and the specifics of what it is, are due to cable.

IMO, this why there so much variation of perceptions, so it's good idea to get the "common consensus" over a group, on what the attributes are for any specific cable. The common consensus is usually the main attributes of any product.

On a similar topic,
Not many are able to hear a majority of top IEMs, so I would suggest to check the "cooler" thread, to hear comments on those that have many experiences.

I feel lucky to have heard many top IEMs, (and enough for me) to be quite certain in settling on the Xe6, although there will always be a preference, even at the top level.

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #4,860 of 6,233
In general, I feel the improvement between a stock cable (Jewel, for example) and First Times is HUGE
I agree . Many stock cables not optimal , even that stock jewel cable. That PW "First Times" cable on the traillii is an exception as it is top notch and has top notch realism as other PW cables, but all PW cables are an expensive purchase separately.

I found stock Xe6 cable to be above many cables. It's going to be an expensive route to surpass the stock cable.

I like my liquid links Venom cable because it's not as expensive, and also resells at good price, because many don't like thicker iem cables as optimal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back