Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jul 6, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #4,681 of 6,228
Rn6 cable is quite impressive.

It took a cable at ~66% of the Rn6 MRSP to get me to swap it out.
I love the feel and look of the stock cable, however mine arrived with bent pins out of the box. While it works, it can't be seated flush on the shells; there is some pin exposed on both IEMs. So I'm on the hunt for something else...

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #4,682 of 6,228
IMG_1368.jpeg

Amazing work from Fir!

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #4,684 of 6,228
Been tip-rolling my RN6, if anyone is interested...

-Stock Foam: Comfortable. Decent isolation, boosted bass, slightly thicker mids, highs rolled off slightly

-Comply Foam: Comfortable enough. Better isolation, slightly boosted bass, mids lack air, highs are less holographic

-Symbio Hybrid Foam/Silicon: Very comfortable. Better isolation. Balanced throughout. Deep bass with excellent timbre, airy mids, liquid crystalline highs. Best sound.

-Spinfit Silicon: Comfortable. Poor isolation. Reduced bass. Flat mids with nice airiness. Crystalline highs.

-JVC Spiral Dots Silicon: Best comfort. Better isolation. Balanced throughout. Deep bass with excellent timbre, airy mids, liquid crystalline highs. Best sound.

So far my favorites are the Spiral Dots silicon and the Symbio silicon-wrapped foam hybrids. They offer essentially identical isolation and sound, however the Spiral Dots take the lead due to slightly better comfort.
I've been surprised by how much I like the Symbio hybrid foam/silicone tips. They're comfortable, give enough insertion depth to allow contact between the inner part of the shell where the Kinetic DD port is and my concha and present a nicely balanced sound signature with deep reach bass. Only negative for me is that they back out of my ear if I'm moving around a lot.

Also like the Spiral Dot++ but I keep going back to Acoustune AET07. They strike the best balance of fit/grip, comfort and sound signature for me.
I love the feel and look of the stock cable, however mine arrived with bent pins out of the box. While it works, it can't be seated flush on the shells; there is some pin exposed on both IEMs. So I'm on the hunt for something else...
Same deal here. I've seen pictures of others RN6's that also look the same. Hasn't bothered me enough to cable swap. Really pleased with the stock cable both from a build and tonality standpoint.

Here's how mine look. It's the same on both sides.

1688736787928.png

Having just spent a week with UM Mentor I'm now back to RN6 and I have to say these two IEMs go to toe to toe for me personally. Both yield a highly enjoyable, TOTL sound but with quite a different spin on their presentations. My TLDR takeaway is that Mentor offers a warmer, darker presentation with a more spacious, 3D soundstage. RN6 sounds more balanced to my ear, with a cleaner presentation on the whole. RN6 pulls more detail, air (and bite) in the treble region and a more tactile, realistic, deeper reaching bass presentation.

I prefer RN6 bass by a fair margin. I found myself greatly preferring Mentor's BA + BCD bass presentation over that of all BA sets. Even so, IMO there's no substitute for a DD on the low end and FiR's open port Kinetic DD is just so incredibly textured and satisfying. No contest here for my tastes.

I do really like the 3D staging, imaging and layering on Mentor. I find the imaging on RN6 to be right on par with Mentor but the stage is flatter on RN6. Plenty of width but not as much height or depth. Not a bad thing, just different. I never get a "closed in" feel with RN6 but Mentor is certainly unique in it's staging presentation.

Anyways, rookie rambling aside, happy to have RN6 back in my ears and thoroughly enjoying them. Nice to have personal confirmation that they play in the upper echelons with the likes of Mentor.

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #4,685 of 6,228
That's normal. The pins aren't bent, they just don't sit flush.

Jul 7, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #4,686 of 6,228

Unless my IEM has the recessed 2-pin design, pretty much all of my IEMs from UM, FiR, VE, EE – the IEM pins didn't arrive or aren't flush with the shell, which is normal. My XE6 are the only IEMs where almost all of my cables are flush with the shell since I've cable rolled them the most. 🤭

I'd just remove and reseat the pins.

Here's my RN6 with stock and EA Cleo II OCTA after rolling since delivery. There's still a minor gap which is nothing to be concerned about.

IMG_2090.JPG
IMG_2094.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #4,687 of 6,228
I picked this for my RN6, it's different from everything I have looks like ice blocks with a hint of slate...

1688745473591.png

Edit : Oh my this will be my 14th CIEM since I went custom in 2017...

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #4,688 of 6,228
Jul 8, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #4,690 of 6,228
If USPS does its thing, I will be joining this club today! Very excited for the Xe6 to take a lot of my summer time!

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #4,691 of 6,228
Obsidian looks the closest to the stock Rn6 faceplates. Sadly someone else already did that on their custom and I wanted mine to be unique

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #4,692 of 6,228
Thanks USPS, and thanks to the brother here that parted with these!
20230708_124007.jpg

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #4,694 of 6,228
Thanks USPS, and thanks to the brother here that parted with these! 20230708_124007.jpg
Welcome to the Fir club.
The golden one is the number one!

IMG_3454.jpeg

Jul 8, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #4,695 of 6,228

Users who are viewing this thread

Back