Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Apr 9, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #4,306 of 6,538
Got my Rn6. They're fantastic. For context, I own, or have owned, Odyssey, Xe6, Ragnar, Ronin.

Some initial thoughts:

- They're SUPER comfortable. So small & light. It's a nice change from all the massive tri-brids out there (e.g. I was using the Odyssey for a while). I appreciate the metal construction, so that I don't need to worry about them cracking open if I happen to drop them.
- The Symbio tips are great (it's my first time using them). And I'm generally super picky about tips.
- I was surprised at how different they are to the Xe6. The Rn6 do really work with any genre. My Xe6 is still worth keeping around for when I want over-the-top bass and warm lush mids. But the Rn6 will certainly get more listening time.
- This is the first time ever that I can see myself using a stock cable. Sure it's not on par with the multi-kilobuck cables, but even as someone that normally uses multi-kilobuck cables, I can very much enjoy these.
- While the stock cable is extremely competent, the Rn6 do scale up VERY well if you slap something like a Yatono 8w or Orpheus onto it. Yatono, OTL an FTS are all good pairings.
- I really love Fir's open-back-type soundstage. Clearly a key part of the Fir magic. I think of everything I've owned/tried (and even though the soundstage on Ragnar & Ronin is probably at least as wide, maybe even wider for Ragnar), Fir probably does the best job of making my ears think I'm not wearing IEMs.
- Kinetic bass is great. It provides power and impact without being overwhelming (whereas I found the Odyssey BCD bass, for example, too much for extended listening). Rn6 bass impact is obviously a bit behind Xe6, but it's a good balance for most genres.
- Treble is detailed and crisp, just as I like it. Can almost be a tad too much depending on tips, cables and atom module. But it's just right with the proper combo.
- I can see the appeal of the red module, but personally I think I lean more towards silver or black.
- I'm curious about what customs would be like; though I'm fortunate to be blessed with universal ears, and have zero issues with the fit.

Overall, Rn6 is the best "fun" all-rounder that I've heard. I'd call it a mild v-shape tuning, and it's a really lovely combo of impactful sub-bass, clear clean mids and detailed treble (with nothing at all fatiguing about the treble).

Ronin and Mentor have a less colored, more reference-type sound, and certain aspects of the technicalities might edge ahead (e.g. the Ronin has an amazingly natural timbre). But Rn6 provides a bit more of the fun factor, if you don't mind a little bit (not a lot) of coloration, and straying a little bit from "reference". I also feel that the small/light size, metal construction, subtle look and solid/light stock cable might make it better suited as a daily driver; I'd feel less odd going for a walk with the Rn6 than with some other IEMs.

These are extremely well-tuned, very well-priced, and I could happily live with these as my only IEM. Kudos to Fir.
Big agree with all these points. Couldn't have phrased it better. They hit all my happy points coherently, and that's something I've never really been able to say out of the box.

I personally struggled with fit for the symbio tips, but am really curious about trying pentaconn coreir with these.

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #4,307 of 6,538
I personally struggled with fit for the symbio tips, but am really curious about trying pentaconn coreir with these.
I'm right there with you. I think it's the foam part, foam tips never have agreed with me tbh. Spiral Dots are my favorite so far for the Rn6.

Apr 10, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #4,308 of 6,538
Joining the custom Rn6 squad. Hype me up y'all while I wait.

Apr 10, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #4,310 of 6,538
Apr 10, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #4,312 of 6,538
Curious if xe6 and rn6 shares the exact same drivers.
If so, does that mean that eq'ing xe6 (using autoeq/parametric) able to give a similar sound to rn6?
Would like to know your thoughts since you have both!
EQ and filtering the bass physically give you different results. As Venting plays with all the rest of the frequencies as well as sound stage. This is why we are huge believers in Atom Venting and are doubling down on it going forward.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Apr 11, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #4,313 of 6,538
My daughter's daycare is closed through Thursday, so I'm not getting nearly as much listening time as I'd like, but the other night afforded me another opportunity. I've been putting the radons through their paces on a few jazz tracks. Artificially mixed, bass-heavy stuff like Billie Eilish, they just sound, well, odd (that's what the xenons are for, after all), but for natural instrument tracks like this...well, there's no other way to put it: they're breathtaking. It's very rare when an earphone can render me speechless (the Legend Evos did it with Eilish’s "listen before i go"), but the radons very much did it with this one:

Lord help me for whatever the last of the frontier series is later this year. I need to plan now on how I'm going to convince my wife to grab me another set (p.s. @bogdan belonozhko , if you happen to sell a product for convincing significant others to buy more of your earphones, I'm ready for it :p )

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #4,314 of 6,538
Called Fir yesterday trying to buy the cable for the Rn6. No go. You only get one if you buy an Rn6. Ordered a set of their adaptors.

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #4,315 of 6,538
Apr 11, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #4,316 of 6,538
There you go for my detailed review of the Fir Audio Xenon 6.
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, i love them so SO much. but it doesnt mean it will be perfect for everyone...and its important to either be sure of what kind of soundsignature to expect or even better, give them a listen before giving the suitcase with 4K bucks in it.

Pros:
-amazing bass performance
-kinetic DD rumble, grunt, resonance and vibrancy
-sub and mid bass layering
-physical bass sensition
-plenty of lower mids (warm and thick)
-smooth cohesive balanced W shape
-engaging dynamic rendering
-natural and densely rich timbre
-supremely enjoyable male and female vocal (wide and thick)
-excellent tone-timbre for sax, piano, cello, contrabass, violin
-warm but not dark mids
-wide and tall holographic spatiality
-snappy EST highs
-velvelty treble
-fun, engaging yet versatile and life like musicality

Cons: -
not end word in term of technical performance
-not the best bass separation and definition (lack of texture)
-a hint foggy mid range (softed definition edge, surely due to open BA design)
-not very clean treble (again open BA design)
-EST tend to pick background noise
-EST tend to stole the show of other micro details or percussions
-EST go faster and add a sens of speed that not always match slower DD and BA presentation
-the IEM sensitivity isn't stated (and seem high)
-my car doesn't worth 4K$ so i can't sell it to buy those

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fir-audio-xenon-6.25722/reviews#review-30574

12037120.jpg

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #4,317 of 6,538
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, i love them so SO much. but it doesnt mean it will be perfect for everyone...and its important to either be sure of what kind of soundsignature to expect or even better, give them a listen before giving the suitcase with 4K bucks in it.

Pros:
-physical bass sensition
-warm but not dark mids
-snappy EST highs
-velvelty treble

-EST go faster and add a sens of speed that not always match slower DD and BA presentation

12037120.jpg

Noted in your review it was exclusively gold ATOM XS, some of the cons like definition and full signature could may be alleviated by reviewing with silver, which is the default ATOM and tuning, and/or black ATOM rolling. XE6 has overall fullness to but it isn't quite as thick-n-syrupy with gold compered to other modules. Gold has been even too much for some of us bassheads, LOL.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #4,318 of 6,538

Pros:
-physical bass sensition
-warm but not dark mids
-snappy EST highs
-velvelty treble

12037120.jpg
based on what you didn't like...i'd be curious to hear your thoughts with the red module.

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #4,319 of 6,538
based on what you didn't like...i'd be curious to hear your thoughts with the red module.
Indeed. I went from silver to red and I'm enjoying the differences. I think the bass quality is better and has about the same quantity. The impact/punch seems to be about the same but it stands out a bit more because the midbass seems a bit lighter. Maybe a bit more separation too? Either way, the Xe6 still has enough bass with the red modules and I think the rest of the signature takes a bit of a step up. Overall it still sounds a bit like being in a smoky jazz lounge, except maybe that the people are smoking ultra-lights.

Apr 11, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #4,320 of 6,538
oh, i would be curious too, alas i just have this module pre install from the loan.
as well, cons aren't really affecting musical enjoyment negatively, its more about technical nit picking. and i need to force myself a little (4K oblige)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back