Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Aug 16, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #3,031 of 6,338
Ok, so you don't think it's something wrong with the set? Just checking since it's an expensive iem and hopefully it's all in shape!

I'll try and play with the atom modules tomorrow and test further.

I mean I guess I don’t know without hearing it but I wouldn’t say so. The XE6 bass blends well into the sound versus being separated like a typical bass head set.

This graph should help show what I mean.. you can see the KR5 really blunts the upper mid and low treble harmonics. That alone will make the lower end of the KR5 stick out more.

E55F5F23-59BC-469D-A61D-882C9ABE144B.jpeg

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,032 of 6,338
I was told that Xe6 is excellent in Rock too......

This is my goal too :) Listening for fun to a lot of genres - mostly metal, alternative, rock on a something smaller than LCD-XC.
Picking mine Xe6 this thursday.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #3,033 of 6,338
I mean I guess I don’t know without hearing it but I wouldn’t say so. The XE6 bass blends well into the sound versus being separated like a typical bass head set.

This graph should help show what I mean.. you can see the KR5 really blunts the upper mid and low treble harmonics. That alone will make the lower end of the KR5 stick out more.

E55F5F23-59BC-469D-A61D-882C9ABE144B.jpeg
Copy that, thanks for the graph! Have written to Andrew just in case though!

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #3,035 of 6,338
Listening for pleasure? What's that sound like? :wink::upside_down:
Like having a goosebumps listening to Darkthrone - through Xe6, I hope :wink:

Aug 16, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #3,036 of 6,338
Quick question for people who have heard KR5 and XE6.

I own both, but what I have noticed is that the XE6 has far less subbass and also midbass than the KR5. My KR5 hits way way more harder than XE6.

From the impressions I have read so far, XE6 should have the better bass, but my unit seems otherwise. Have tested both same cable, tips, source.

Could it be a faulty driver?
Sounds like a faulty driver to me.

Overall XE6 should be much more warm compared to Kr5

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #3,037 of 6,338
Quick question for people who have heard KR5 and XE6.

I own both, but what I have noticed is that the XE6 has far less subbass and also midbass than the KR5. My KR5 hits way way more harder than XE6.

From the impressions I have read so far, XE6 should have the better bass, but my unit seems otherwise. Have tested both same cable, tips, source.

Could it be a faulty driver?
Are you saying your xe6 has less midbass than your kr5?

If so, something is very wrong.

I'll add that I agree with most of what @aaf evo said...but yeah...if your xe6 has less midbass than kr5, something is definitely going on.

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #3,038 of 6,338
Sounds like a faulty driver to me.

Overall XE6 should be much more warm compared to Kr5

Are you saying your xe6 has less midbass than your kr5?

If so, something is very wrong.

I'll add that I agree with most of what @aaf evo said...but yeah...if your xe6 has less midbass than kr5, something is definitely going on.
Yep, the midbass is quite less on XE6 than KR5. Also its not at all warm sounding to me at all. I have mentioned this in this thread from the day I got my sets, and I assumed that's how it supposed to sound, although I was confused why would everyone say XE6 is a warm sounding iem and mine is absolutely not!

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #3,039 of 6,338
Yep, the midbass is quite less on XE6 than KR5. Also its not at all warm sounding to me at all. I have mentioned this in this thread from the day I got my sets, and I assumed that's how it supposed to sound, although I was confused why would everyone say XE6 is a warm sounding iem and mine is absolutely not!
Your description reminds a phase cancellation issue. If tips and cable are the same for both it is probably something inside - wiring, drivers.

Aug 17, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #3,041 of 6,338

Hmmm yeah, XE6 and not warm don’t make sense to me. I’d try get it replaced if possible? :)

Aug 17, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #3,042 of 6,338

You should contact Fir or your reseller, if that's possible.
I actually myself have an issue with faulty driver in xe6, but in high frequiences.

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #3,043 of 6,338
Has anyone ever tried these tips on xenon 6?

-1763288170-292184275.jpg

NiceHCK

It's been a month since I try different tips (I have about thirty) and each time I come back to this one. I also use the Azla max and spiral dot+ which I like too. but these tips open up the soundstage in a way i've never heard with the xenon 6s. i'm really impressed.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #3,044 of 6,338
You should contact Fir or your reseller, if that's possible.
I actually myself have an issue with faulty driver in xe6, but in high frequiences.
Yep contacted Andrew, seems the team is at a compaby retreat till 19th Aug, but he's happy to take it and check it for me.

Did some more tests with different module and eartips but same result. The bass on KR5 reaches extremely deep where as on XE6 it sounds like a bit like my Dunu Luna, where you know bass is present but the body is 60% reduced.

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #3,045 of 6,338
tbf, Kr5 does reach deeper overall relationally in sub bass (not mid-bass), but Xe6 should have more bass presence in general due to the lower mid bass hump and everything below 800k being cranked up a bit. On proper working units I noticed only a slight difference between the sub-bass, with Kr5 being slightly ahead, but not ahead in bass levels overall.

Either way it's good to get it looked at, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back