Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jun 15, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #2,836 of 6,234
Jun 15, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #2,837 of 6,234
I have a KR5 on the way, and I need an bang-for-buck adapter to connect the included 4.4mm plug to my headphone amp, which has 4-pin XLR or 6.5mm single-ended outputs. Any suggestions for something that won't degrade the sonics?

Thanks,
Alan

Jun 15, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #2,838 of 6,234
I have a KR5 on the way, and I need an bang-for-buck adapter to connect the included 4.4mm plug to my headphone amp, which has 4-pin XLR or 6.5mm single-ended outputs. Any suggestions for something that won't degrade the sonics?

Thanks,
Alan
I've got this ddHiFi 4.4-XLR adapter that I use with my Jotunheim2, so far primarily with my IER-Z1R, and it works great.

https://www.ddhifi.eu/?product=xlr44b-xlr-4pin-to-4-4mm-balanced-adapter

Looking forward to testing out the Frontiers with this set up in a few weeks..

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #2,839 of 6,234
I already reached out about it, but I noticed yesterday that my XE6 is missing part of its left faceplate under the glass, exposing the stainless steel shell beneath. I have the worst luck. :joy:

Thankfully FiR has amazing support and I'm sure they'll end up replacing it.

XE6 Faceplate.jpeg
Haha I’ve got the same issue in a different spot.

Attachments

• F27E05A3-7AE2-44B1-982F-495FEBD7D06A.jpeg
    F27E05A3-7AE2-44B1-982F-495FEBD7D06A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 045A2F1A-1A9A-4718-9931-CC81F9EF86C5.jpeg
    045A2F1A-1A9A-4718-9931-CC81F9EF86C5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jun 20, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #2,841 of 6,234
@twister6 can you give us an update on Frontier Series reviews? Since as far as I know you are the only reviewer to receive the full lineup

Jun 20, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #2,842 of 6,234
@twister6 can you give us an update on Frontier Series reviews? Since as far as I know you are the only reviewer to receive the full lineup

I only borrowed the full lineup and already covered the design and the individual analysis and comparison in my detailed review of all three models. Now, I have XE6 with me, both uni and ciem, which have been featured in most of my reviews so far as part of pair up and comparison examples. Still planning to have a write up focusing on differences between uni and ciem models of XE6 since I get this question asked every other week :)

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #2,843 of 6,234

I only borrowed the full lineup and already covered the design and the individual analysis and comparison in my detailed review of all three models. Now, I have XE6 with me, both uni and ciem, which have been featured in most of my reviews so far as part of pair up and comparison examples. Still planning to have a write up focusing on differences between uni and ciem models of XE6 since I get this question asked every other week :)

Looking forward to seeing your comparisons - particularly on the NE4 uni vs custom because that's what I am getting!

Jun 21, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #2,844 of 6,234
I'm fortunate enough to live 20 minutes from Fir Audio. After reading all the reviews & opinions on the Xenon 6, I could no longer resist scheduling a demo in the shop. Needless to say, I fell in love with them and ordered a set of customs in identical to my M5's (matte black with my local fav NBA team logo on them - Portland Trail Blazers). Bogdan was incredibly kind and personable (as always) and offered me a discount as a local repeat customer. I can't wait to hear that kinetic bass in custom form. Fir Audio customer for life!

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #2,845 of 6,234
I'm fortunate enough to live 20 minutes from Fir Audio. After reading all the reviews & opinions on the Xenon 6, I could no longer resist scheduling a demo in the shop. Needless to say, I fell in love with them and ordered a set of customs in identical to my M5's (matte black with my local fav NBA team logo on them - Portland Trail Blazers). Bogdan was incredibly kind and personable (as always) and offered me a discount as a local repeat customer. I can't wait to hear that kinetic bass in custom form. Fir Audio customer for life!

Listening now, you’re in for a treat :)

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #2,849 of 6,234
in the waiting room with you, buddy...

Listening now, you’re in for a treat :)

stahhhhhhp!

Jun 22, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #2,850 of 6,234
Quite different signature.
U18s is more neutral.
Xe6 is warm with huge bass.
Hummm I'm a bit divided on this one

They both have a fair bit of mid-bass focus.
Both have linear and clean mids, with maybe a hint more upper mids on the Xe6, but not especially noticeable for me personally
Both have an upper treble focus.

A18S has more upper treble, Xe6 has more midbass. I'd say I like the signature of the 18S a little better, but the technical ability of the Xe6 is quite far ahead, so it's acted almost as a direct replacement for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back