Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Mar 31, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #2,551 of 6,349
Anyone outside of the US has gotten their FiR orders? I’ve ordered the XE6 through my dealer mid February and was told I’d get them by mid March but up until now there’s no clarity on when I’d get mine. FiR told the dealer/distributor that they have some difficulties in sourcing the packaging and won’t ship the IEMs until they got it sorted. At this rate I might just cancel the XE6 and get something else instead. Very disappointed.

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #2,553 of 6,349
Thoroughly enjoying the PWA No.5 cable paired with the Neon 4. Compared to the stock pure copper cable, I hear even more midbass weight/emphasis and a touch of added warmth to the upper mids. Overall a slightly more euphonic, natural timbre across the FR without much blunting in the treble.

1648738326591.png

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #2,554 of 6,349
I took a closer look at my cosmetic issue after remembering I have a jeweler's loupe. It seems like there's a lacquer or something on the underside of the plate that caused larger than usual bubbling to appear, and that's why they're visible in the light.

1.jpg

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #2,555 of 6,349
My NE4 has 4-5 minuscule spots on what seems to be the underside of the glass, as if there's a missing coating. It shows on certain angles of light. The left almost has some kinda particle. I'm wondering if I'm being a bit nitpicky. I'm probably going to send an email about it, but it's still weird.

I adore the sound, though.

Edit: I sent both FiR and MusicTeck emails about it since I just got them. I think it could be helpful for the build process.

I took a closer look at my cosmetic issue after remembering I have a jeweler's loupe. It seems like there's a lacquer or something on the underside of the plate that caused larger than usual bubbling to appear, and that's why they're visible in the light.

1.jpg

Did FiR respond to you yet? I'm sure they'd be happy to fix this for you, even if it is a nitpick, knowing the quality of their customer service.

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #2,556 of 6,349
Did FiR respond to you yet? I'm sure they'd be happy to fix this for you, even if it is a nitpick, knowing the quality of their customer service.

I contacted MusicTeck last night and I'm just awaiting a response from FiR. The easiest solution would probably just be an exchange since I only just got them in the last couple days. I'm hoping it won't be a problem. Andrew has been super prompt and helpful so I can't recommend MusicTeck enough.

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #2,557 of 6,349
I contacted MusicTeck last night and I'm just awaiting a response from FiR. The easiest solution would probably just be an exchange since I only just got them in the last couple days. I'm hoping it won't be a problem. Andrew has been super prompt and helpful so I can't recommend MusicTeck enough.

Andrew and Musicteck are great as well! Glad you've enjoyed working with them, they're highly recommended in my book too.

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #2,559 of 6,349
FiR's response might be slower than usual because of the Ukraine conflict. The Belonozhko family is from Ukraine after all.

Just got confirmation that this was likely either not noticed during QC or the issue somehow arose after and that they'd "certainly" replace them for me.

Fantastic customer service!

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #2,562 of 6,349
I must be an oddball, I actually preferred NE4 over XE6… 🤷‍♀️ I can’t wait for my customised one to arrive…

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #2,563 of 6,349
I must be an oddball, I actually preferred NE4 over XE6… 🤷‍♀️ I can’t wait for my customised one to arrive…

You're not - I managed to demo both yesterday and NE4 tuning suited me much better. The mid bass was too much on the XE6 for me, triggered some pain. I also prefer more sub bass to mid bass so they didn't quite hit the spot for me.

The NE4 was excellent balance. Yes treble was a bit smooth, but great extension which I find is more important to me.

The Frontier Series is pretty darn great.

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #2,564 of 6,349
Looking forward to seeing your custom design! The Neon 4 seems to be the decided “all-arounder” of the Frontier series.
You're not - I managed to demo both yesterday and NE4 tuning suited me much better. The mid bass was too much on the XE6 for me, triggered some pain. I also prefer more sub bass to mid bass so they didn't quite hit the spot for me.

The NE4 was excellent balance. Yes treble was a bit smooth, but great extension which I find is more important to me.

The Frontier Series is pretty darn great.
Neon 4 treble is quite smooth. Good for hours of fatigued free listening and I agree that it is well extended, but it is lacking that unique, ethereal like quality and air you get with the XE6 from the estats.

The more I listen, the more I hear the benefits of using both an open port kinetic DD and an open BA for the bass. Visceral tactility, depth and “oomph” from the DD coupled with the speed and precision of the BA. It’s excellent.

I think FiR killed it with the Frontier series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back