Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Mar 13, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #2,446 of 6,349
In a comparison between XE6 and Isabellae, what are the convergences and divergences?
Posted this yesterday on other threads.

5D3FDF10-2240-460C-AD92-7B57C15EDCFC.jpeg

Did an AB listening test between Isabellae and XE6 with track Indigo from Katherine Priddy. This track is acoustic, guitar and vocal, very sweet sounding vocals, there is a Cello down low and some bells occasionally up top. The song feels like a folk song though introspective and personal. There is indeed something special about her voice, this is her first release I may have much more to look forward to.
The album in general tells a story from first to last track that leaves me feeling very rested and calm.

Did I prefer one set over the other, yes the Isabellae, it is just so cohesive and the voice so well represented. The voice on the XE6 was equally well represented the extra amount of bass energy brought the Cello to the fore early in the track giving that instrument considerably more weight, in addition the single Estat accentuated the bells and vocal accents. Once again I do not feel the vocals lost anything they just had to exist within more of everything else. The difference comes down to energy for me with the Isabellae more in line with the feeling of the track. Both sets did this song differently and amazingly well and for me reaffirm my thought that these two are right now my favorite partners.

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #2,447 of 6,349
One from today.

AB92BC3A-3DD5-470D-B082-2D9F834F64BE.jpeg

Today I am testing one of my favorite pair ups the Thummim played with the aid of the Cayin C9 amplifier fed by the Lotoo PAW6000 using it’s true line out with the C9 set to low gain, class A, with the Korg NuTube preamp set to on.

I am also using a track that I have the most affection for on this set up, Bill Evans Gloria’s Step Take II off of the album Sunday At The Village Vanguard.

The Thummim with this setup I have not been able to top, for this track the added heft given to the acoustic bass allows me to feel very close to the playing and the instrument. The conversation between Bill and Scott is one of the most beautiful I have ever heard, this was a live event in 1963 when I was not yet born, this recording amazes me, every time and has done so now for over 40 years.

I thought maybe the XE6 my newest addition could meet the Thummim head on with this.
I am struck by how close these two IEMs actually perform on this track. It is actually difficult to hear a difference. With the XE6 the difference I hear is the piano and bass are closer to having the same presence, and the wonderful wire brush drum work has more definition and slightly more sparkle. Do I like one over the other it is so close, still for this track the Thummim keeps it’s crown.

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #2,448 of 6,349
XE6 is like combining the Thummim and the Isabellae strengths in a way.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #2,449 of 6,349

Did an AB listening test between Isabellae and XE6 with track Indigo from Katherine Priddy. This track is acoustic, guitar and vocal, very sweet sounding vocals, there is a Cello down low and some bells occasionally up top. The song feels like a folk song though introspective and personal. There is indeed something special about her voice, this is her first release I may have much more to look forward to.
The album in general tells a story from first to last track that leaves me feeling very rested and calm.

Did I prefer one set over the other, yes the Isabellae, it is just so cohesive and the voice so well represented. The voice on the XE6 was equally well represented the extra amount of bass energy brought the Cello to the fore early in the track giving that instrument considerably more weight, in addition the single Estat accentuated the bells and vocal accents. Once again I do not feel the vocals lost anything they just had to exist within more of everything else. The difference comes down to energy for me with the Isabellae more in line with the feeling of the track. Both sets did this song differently and amazingly well and for me reaffirm my thought that these two are right now my favorite partners.
A beautiful compliment to Isabellae, given the price difference between the two. Then obviously the personal satisfaction goes beyond the economic discourse, but I believe that beyond that Isabellae sounds good at every level, regardless of the price.

Mar 13, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #2,450 of 6,349

Nice music and comparison as always. I checked the track (although I don't have Isa anymore), and I can understand this impression. I think Xe6 brings forward the instruments so vividly, and perhaps to the point of overshadow the vocal just a touch. It seems too intimate for this particular music if you prefer to be immersed and floating in the musical space. Xe6 is great for active listening - I know I won't fall asleep with this one :sweat_smile: With Traillii, I can probably close my eyes and float through the album.

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #2,451 of 6,349
One of the best pairings I've experienced with the Kr5: the Lotoo PAW S2, incredible value and Imo the signature of the S2 complements the Kr5 near perfectly

IMG-7067.jpg

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #2,453 of 6,349
Is that the Eletech Iliad? How are the they with the Kr5 and Xe6?
I absolutely love it with the Kr5, since it makes it a bit more V-shaped and exciting in terms of signature. It didn't work as well with the Xe6, as any bass boost on the 6 just doesn't work for me

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #2,454 of 6,349

Using track Archaic Peace Strategies from a recording by Mike Keneally & Metropole Orkest from an album The Universe Will Provide. A short piece at 2:60. Starting with an intro by orchestra, strings winds brass piano bells that at 49 seconds turns bombastic with full electric fusion rock only to once again change at 1:03 to jazz influenced trumpet and again at 1:30 to late 70s electric guitar lead, the orchestra bleeds through again and again at a furious level, at around 2:24 music slows down again to orchestra only and then ends. Leaving me feeling out of breath.

I choose this piece because I wanted to do a comparison between Traillii and XE6, since I am finding the XE6 a general purpose driver and have long felt that way about Traillii it seemed like something I would want to know. My thought was this music could test for speed, detail, clarity, timbre, separation, and space all in the same brief track. And an added bonus with the fusion part I could more clearly hear the bass driver difference between XE6’s DD + kinetic port and Traillii’s excellent Bass BA drivers.

Hearing this track on the Traillii creates for me the base line, with Traillii everything through all the changes stays detailed wide and clear with timbre that allowed all instruments to sound to me as they should. Micro and macro details all present. Changing over to XE6 and space was still there the drivers bass solution was paying off, the track had much more energy, bass ratcheted up to 12 on the fusion section. In the intro section the piano sounded crisp, the percussion presented clearly with nice timbre and detail. Strings throughout the piece never lost their presence. If Traillii had an energy level of 9-10 XE6 had one of 11-12, this to me was the main if not predicted take away difference.

Did I prefer one over the other, no, different enough and both appealing. It is going to depend on mood and what I am doing as to which set I would want to listen with.

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #2,455 of 6,349
I absolutely love it with the Kr5, since it makes it a bit more V-shaped and exciting in terms of signature. It didn't work as well with the Xe6, as any bass boost on the 6 just doesn't work for me
The XE6 for me does not need any more bass, perfect level for me. The details indicate all three options are using the same bass, the bass must be tuned differently?
I only tried the KR5 for a few hours so I do not know, I did not listen to see if the bass was the same or very similar was just trying to see if I liked the sound of the KR5 as much as the XE6.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #2,456 of 6,349
The XE6 for me does not need any more bass, perfect level for me. The details indicate all three options are using the same bass, the bass must be tuned differently?
I only tried the KR5 for a few hours so I do not know, I did not listen to see if the bass was the same or very similar was just trying to see if I liked the sound of the KR5 as much as the XE6.
Very different quantities of bass Imo. Kr5 is the closest to neutral, Xe6 is the bassiest and Ne4 is the golden middle, where the warm is apparent but not as overpowering

Mar 16, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #2,457 of 6,349
For the DD driver and the kinetic bass port, is the DD facing the port and firing outwards from there, or is the DD facing into the shell and firing into the shell?
Also, has anybody tried plugging/sealing the kinetic bass port and seeing how it changes the tuning 🤔

Mar 16, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #2,458 of 6,349
For the DD driver and the kinetic bass port, is the DD facing the port and firing outwards from there, or is the DD facing into the shell and firing into the shell?
Into the shell. It's the back of the DD that you see by the port.

Mar 16, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #2,460 of 6,349
Also, has anybody tried plugging/sealing the kinetic bass port and seeing how it changes the tuning 🤔

I tried sealing the port with thick vinyl sticker and it does reduce the deeper subbass some. I think it could respond to various dampers if you want to tune the bass this way. Comfort might be compromised though since it's on the inside part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back