Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Nov 27, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,336 of 6,244
How would those that have heard the VxV compare it to the likes of the U12t (albeit possibly an unfair comparison at half it’s retail price)?

Nov 28, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #1,337 of 6,244
The VxVs are perfect for EDC 👌
186D9A56-4E79-4D1D-BDE8-C23073E098F4.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,338 of 6,244
How would those that have heard the VxV compare it to the likes of the U12t (albeit possibly an unfair comparison at half it’s retail price)?

You would be in for a big treat! Those are amazingly natural and well tuned. And it has a real DD sound so if your missing that on u12t then you have it here and with absolutely great tuning, all details and textures are all present and done so that you can feel it differently from track to track.

It also has a good mid presences, so there is no voices being to far back or forward.
Treble is also very well made no peakyness and no harshness.

I personally would pick 5x5 any time over any pair of headphones, they are that good. I even prefer them over the tia trio. But I still love my noirs and I think they win in edm, I feel noirs are the edm masters while the 5x5 is a more natural sounding iem than the noirs.
As the 5x5 has a more open sound perception, it has this little touch of personality of its own. Its open vivid natural and vocals arent thin they are very pleasant.
I highly recommend pure silver cables it elevates the experience even further. Go with fiio lc 4.4 D it works amazingly

Tiger :leopard: :feet:

Nov 28, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #1,339 of 6,244
Interesting you mention this comparison. The backstory about the 5x5 in development is that our target msrp was a bit higher. Once tuning was confirmed there was a slight miscommunication with project perfection (distributor). They had a lower price target but we ultimately released it at $999. The components are of the highest quality (BA’s from top brands). They might punch a bit above their weight as some may have already observed. 🙂

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Dec 3, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #1,340 of 6,244
You would be in for a big treat! Those are amazingly natural and well tuned. And it has a real DD sound so if your missing that on u12t then you have it here and with absolutely great tuning, all details and textures are all present and done so that you can feel it differently from track to track.

It also has a good mid presences, so there is no voices being to far back or forward.
Treble is also very well made no peakyness and no harshness.

I personally would pick 5x5 any time over any pair of headphones, they are that good. I even prefer them over the tia trio. But I still love my noirs and I think they win in edm, I feel noirs are the edm masters while the 5x5 is a more natural sounding iem than the noirs.
As the 5x5 has a more open sound perception, it has this little touch of personality of its own. Its open vivid natural and vocals arent thin they are very pleasant.
I highly recommend pure silver cables it elevates the experience even further. Go with fiio lc 4.4 D it works amazingly

Tiger :leopard: :feet:
Tigers going nuts for something other than Noir is always welcome. Having owned the LC4.4 D I found it rather thin compared to other silver cables, and I'd recommend other ones.

Shipped the M4 to FiR last Thursday, arrived there Tuesday, Bogdan notified me the grills were fixed and it would be sent back today. FiR is joining my list of companies where I am super impressed by their customer service

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #1,341 of 6,244
How is this VxV compared with same price range ier-M9, Andromeda 2020, I would expect its DD
will beat them on bass, and how about treble and mid.
Then, how about with pricier Solaris 2020?

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #1,342 of 6,244
How is this VxV compared with same price range ier-M9, Andromeda 2020, I would expect its DD
will beat them on bass, and how about treble and mid.
Then, how about with pricier Solaris 2020?

I covered Andro '20, Solaris '20, and RAI Penta in comparison with VxV here.

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #1,343 of 6,244
I covered Andro '20, Solaris '20, and RAI Penta in comparison with VxV here.
doesn't really give me any "feel" for the iem
a bit surprised to see a comparison with W60 there, for me these are flat boring, with low technicalities and are no match to most of the modern ones around 1k$
and yet this comparison makes it sound like 5x5 and W60 are more or less on the same level

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #1,344 of 6,244
doesn't really give me any "feel" for the iem
a bit surprised to see a comparison with W60 there, for me these are flat boring, with low technicalities and are no match to most of the modern ones around 1k$
and yet this comparison makes it sound like 5x5 and W60 are more or less on the same level

W60 was thrown into the mix cause it is around the same price and I was asked specifically by a number of people who wanted to know if it worth the upgrade or on the same level. And also, if you noticed, in the reply you quoted me I didn't even mention W60. Yes, they are old and past their prime, but it was a short comparison specific to basic sound/FR, again, just for a benefit of those who requested it.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #1,345 of 6,244
W60 was thrown into the mix cause it is around the same price and I was asked specifically by a number of people who wanted to know if it worth the upgrade or on the same level.
That's fine, i got it, but did you answer their question though? It is worth to upgrade from W60 to 5x5?
Because when i read " W60 bass goes deeper" and " 5×5 has a little less rumble", this tells me absolutely nothing, especially about their respective "level" of sound.

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #1,346 of 6,244
That's fine, i got it, but did you answer their question though? It is worth to upgrade from W60 to 5x5?
Because when i read " W60 bass goes deeper" and " 5×5 has a little less rumble", this tells me absolutely nothing, especially about their respective "level" of sound.

Not sure if you are trolling or being for real, man. This is what I wrote about a difference between W60 and 5x5:

5×5 vs Westone W60 – 5×5 soundstage is wider in this comparison. W60 bass goes deeper with more sub-bass rumble and a little stronger mid-bass punch, while 5×5 has a little less rumble and overall bass being less elevated. W60 mids are thicker, warmer, more colored, while 5×5 has more transparent (less colored) mids/vocals with better retrieval of details. Also, W60 treble is smoother and with less sparkle, while 5×5 treble has more sparkle and airiness.

The analysis based on a common FR chart for those who are interested in sound difference.

FreqChart.JPG

Thousands of people views/read the review, nobody got upset, and those who asked me the question were satisfied with a reply.

Is 5x5 an upgrade to W60? In my book it is because I like more clarity, more transparency, and less coloring in mids. For others, who might want deeper bass (more sub-bass rumble), more mid-bass impact, and thicker mids/vocals with more laidback feeling, they will stick to their W60. Some prefer W60 not because of the sound but because Westone shells are tiny and you can fall asleep with them in your ears with a head on the pillow.

Not sure if you own or owned W60 and considering 5x5 is an upgrade, but hopefully I answered your question and if you have more, pinged me off line.

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #1,347 of 6,244
Not trolling, just trying to place these iems in my mind above and beyond some others i have experience with, based on opinions of those who tried them.
I'm not saying that every one should do it now after Crinacle, but what i like to see is something like his tier system, and some indication of technical proficiency.
Because when i read a comparison like yours, it sounds very general to me, like everything is on a similar level, and there are only minor differences in tuning and FR.
But i don't want to turn it into a personal attack, and apologize if it sounded like one.

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #1,348 of 6,244
Not trolling, just trying to place these iems in my mind above and beyond some others i have experience with, based on opinions of those who tried them.
I'm not saying that every one should do it now after Crinacle, but what i like to see is something like his tier system, and some indication of technical proficiency.
Because when i read a comparison like yours, it sounds very general to me, like everything is on a similar level, and there are only minor differences in tuning and FR.
But i don't want to turn it into a personal attack, and apologize if it sounded like one.

I hear ya, and one of the reasons why I tried to stay away from tier system or star rating or scoring for years since i started to review because it is the biggest pain in the arse that brings only the headache. The more you review the harder it gets to maintain the updated rating list, and then you also have to remove older IEMs due to their irrelevance. Plus, 5 star rating of iem 3 years ago will not be the same compared to new iems released now, yet people will say "hey, you gave this iem 5 stars a few years ago, and another iem 4 stars 6 months ago, so the older iem must be better". Well, you know what I mean. But like I always say, there are different reviews, different review styles, and different info you get from each review, plus some reviews are more opinion pieces based on the reviewer personal preference rather than a neutral dry description so you make up your own mind if this is the right one for you. Can't make the decision based on reading just one, need to "collect them all" so you can paint the full picture of the product. Cheers!

Dec 6, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,349 of 6,244
The best way to choose hp/iem is to compare real thing in person, but that is not likely
availabe for everyone, so we search around for various reviews opinion to dig needed information.
thanks to all reviewers who post reviews to help us.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,350 of 6,244
I hear ya, and one of the reasons why I tried to stay away from tier system or star rating or scoring for years since i started to review because it is the biggest pain in the arse that brings only the headache. The more you review the harder it gets to maintain the updated rating list, and then you also have to remove older IEMs due to their irrelevance. Plus, 5 star rating of iem 3 years ago will not be the same compared to new iems released now, yet people will say "hey, you gave this iem 5 stars a few years ago, and another iem 4 stars 6 months ago, so the older iem must be better". Well, you know what I mean. But like I always say, there are different reviews, different review styles, and different info you get from each review, plus some reviews are more opinion pieces based on the reviewer personal preference rather than a neutral dry description so you make up your own mind if this is the right one for you. Can't make the decision based on reading just one, need to "collect them all" so you can paint the full picture of the product. Cheers!
...not to mention how do you handle ratings in different price classes? When compared to others in its price class, IEM A might perform well above it's peers and deserve four stars. But when compared to top tier IEMs it may only rate two stars. Do you use an "absolute" scale, or a relative scale which you then have to explain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back