Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Nov 11, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #1,292 of 6,235
They not from Portland, they from Vancouver
There’s some mixed messaging on our end. Portland OR is where the roots are and in 2015 the move was made 10 miles north over the river into WA. It’s one general area so it’s close enough 😋

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Nov 18, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,294 of 6,235
That was also on my mind today. Too quiet for a new release. What does that mean?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #1,295 of 6,235
Any more FivexFive impressions out there?

I just got mine , they are at the post office I will start my listening very soon! Gotta go pick them up.

I also have a new dap hiby R8 so there will be a lot of fun

I will do a first impression and then will have to wait at least 100hours before the final verdict. As I do believe in burn in 😛

So please stay tuned
🐯🐾

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,296 of 6,235
Oh oh look at this new beautiful bunnies!

Here they are I will have some listening very soon will do more impressions later on as well. For now enjoy my mini quick unboxing 😜🐯🐾

I gotta say they look so pretty ! And really nice packaging well done and solid!

PXL_20201119_194735667.jpgPXL_20201119_194754465.jpgPXL_20201119_194918172.jpgPXL_20201119_194823796.jpg

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #1,298 of 6,235
Minimalistic

Its perfectly fine, all in one package well packed. No excessive over used materials

And you got a nice case with it! I have similar one that I paid 20$ as separate accesorie.

Nov 19, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #1,299 of 6,235
Oh oh look at this new beautiful bunnies!

Here they are I will have some listening very soon will do more impressions later on as well. For now enjoy my mini quick unboxing 😜🐯🐾

I gotta say they look so pretty ! And really nice packaging well done and solid!

PXL_20201119_194735667.jpgPXL_20201119_194754465.jpgPXL_20201119_194918172.jpgPXL_20201119_194823796.jpg

I see someone decided to go with Fir Audio M-series copper cable instead of 5x5 stock SPC cable? :wink:

firaudio_5x5-13.jpg

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #1,300 of 6,235
I see someone decided to go with Fir Audio M-series copper cable instead of 5x5 stock SPC cable? :wink:

firaudio_5x5-13.jpg

🐯😎😛🙃
I have to say it sounds very good an has a warmer tint to the sound, I find it more musical that way.

What you think of stock cable vs the whisky one 😏.

Nov 19, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,301 of 6,235
🐯😎😛🙃
I have to say it sounds very good an has a warmer tint to the sound, I find it more musical that way.

What you think of stock cable vs the whisky one 😏.

I covered this comparison in Cable Pair up section of my review :)

Nov 19, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #1,302 of 6,235
I covered this comparison in Cable Pair up section of my review :)

Seems similar experience that I am getting using the Fiio Lc 4.4D the pure silver one. It sounds more neutral and flatter a little. With the whisky the pure copper cable I find it more musical and full as sound.

This is also subjective to your dap as some may be more warmer and others brighter and lighter. So accordingly you may tune this via your cable 😎🙃

Nov 20, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #1,303 of 6,235
Some new impressions on my 5x5 after 5 hours of burn in and I have to say they do improve marginally with further more the burn in goes threw. I always do a 200hour burn in on all my gear to bring them to the sweetest spot.

With the 5x5 when they where fresh out of the box I did like them more with my whiskey full copper cable that came with them. Now more they get roded they sound better with the pure silver cable!

They show a good scalability in devices going from sony zx507 to hiby R8 make them sound way better, feel the sound to open being expansive very nice dark background, transition are quick and responsive! This is a very nice iem for edm works really good.

It does also good with vocals, they have a good tonal impression, not congested nor too dark, well reproduced. It stays slightly on the warmer side I feel it with a good touch of vividness and not too forward or staged back, really well positioned. It does adapt it self well with soundstage there is a good sense of openess and they dont sound clustrophobic as I usually say. Cause for me after living with my fourte noir I get that instant hit on me from to enclosed feeling atmospheric pressure.... Those are very open but of course not as my fourte noirs... But man they are right there pretty much perfect almost.

The treble is not piercing nor siblant, will see how it refines it self further down in the burn in process as from my experience treble is the slowest one to burn in.

Right now they have a little crisp punch but nothing beyond uncomfortable zones. Its a nice punchy treble with a slight zing, this gives fun and a more lively sound presentation.
It does work well with edm and for more audiophile type of genres it will give a more emotional and sensitive feeling.

Overall first impressions are very solid! I am very happy Fir Audio made this new turn into a whole new tuning it is not the same sound approach as the M4 and M5. For me this new 5x5 hits right into my preferences.
Blacker background, fast transitions and nuances. A very quick dynamic sound with a good twisty touch. It brings fun, liveliness and great musical sensations.

Oh and before I forget the bass is really good on the 5x5, it has a deep rumbly punch, well defined and bold. This does not reach the Noirs level but boy it has a lot of punch, bounce, it is also a quick decay, it has good bursts when its present and also can be more polyvalent toward the audiophile music.

The bass is very well defined and has a good tasty presense it is not a bass less iem, there is plenty of bass! The way its tuned it doesn't fatigue and it doe not over bloat any other frequencies. It is really a good bass with fun, details and textures. It has slam and details really there is nothing missing in the bass pretty well nailed !

And I will also finish my last note on the comfort, absolutely comfortable and 0 soar spots for me and that is a very rare one! Even the most comfortable iems eventually creates me some spot of pain, not with 5x5 ! Soo comfortable and light in the ears, really Bogdan has done a tremendous work on this so fantastic little bunnies. They definitely stand for what they say, pure comfort and easy to use for those audiophiles who really need an iem that they can ware all day and night hehe.

So far I am very happy with the littles furies and more will come so stay tuned 😎🙃

Nov 20, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #1,304 of 6,235
Having to live vicariously though y'all for a tad bit longer. My M4 is being held up by UPS....somewhere.

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #1,305 of 6,235
Having to live vicariously though y'all for a tad bit longer. My M4 is being held up by UPS....somewhere.

You bought a new universal M4? Oofff ups usually track their shipments I once had my package lost but thankfully they found it via the tracking. The sad news was that my package was in paris then prague and initially was shipped from North Carolina usa lol how the heck it got to europe we still dont know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back