Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Apr 9, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #6,196 of 6,223
The splitter/battery just adds too much bulk to what is supposed to be a portable system for me.

So it seems to leave these options:

1) Get rid of the iphone for an android phone. This is tough as i really like the Iphone.
2) Get rid of the RU7 for a dongle that provides its own power. The sound on the RU7 is fantastic in a small lightweight form. Are there devices sounding as good, just as small and powers itself?
3) Sell the e12 and go back to the Shure SE846.
4) Live with the low gain DSD64 settings on the RU7.
Realistically 2 or 4.
4 is disappointing but you can re-coup with classifieds/reddit (r/AVExchange) sales and go the (2) route.

Easy recommendations:
BTR7*
Q15*
L&P W4
GO Bar (pick whatever marketing you want lol. Original/Gold/Samurai steel or whatever)
Go Blu*
(*has Bluetooth & self-powered)

There are too many dongles and self-powered portable options to count/list. Heck, even a used mojo or mojo2 can be had under 500. I got my Mojo 2 almost brand new because the original owner couldn't be bothered to learn how the colored menu works $250 off🤣 This was when it was at its original 750 MSRP (it's 650 now).

PS: There's also a handful of Wi-Fi/BT enabled DAP's these days around 500 and used DAPs to be had. But if you're sticking with your phone (like I do) and that price point, the BTR7/Go Blu are the closest to prevent too much loss on a re-sale and source swap if you also don't want to upgrade your phone like @twister6 pointed out. If you bought your phone or paid it off I get it.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #6,197 of 6,223
The splitter/battery just adds too much bulk to what is supposed to be a portable system for me.

1) Get rid of the iphone for an android phone. This is tough as i really like the Iphone.
2) Get rid of the RU7 for a dongle that provides its own power. The sound on the RU7 is fantastic in a small lightweight form. Are there devices sounding as good, just as small and powers itself?

You are forgetting one more option :wink:

5) Upgrade 2019 model of iPhone 11 to 2023 model of iPhone 15 with usb-c where there is no current restriction.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #6,198 of 6,223
You are forgetting one more option :wink:

5) Upgrade 2019 model of iPhone 11 to 2023 model of iPhone 15 with usb-c where there is no current restriction.
I am planning on upgrading to Iphone 15 or 16 (when its out), but i thought iphones dont provide enough power? Is the problem the iphone or the lightning connection?

Easy recommendations:
BTR7*
Q15*
L&P W4
GO Bar (pick whatever marketing you want lol. Original/Gold/Samurai steel or whatever)
Go Blu*
I actually owned the Go Blu and sold it a week later, because i didn't hear a difference with or without it. I also was told bluetooth dongles restrict the quality of the source, which is why i bought the wired Cayin RU7. Aren't some of these dongles the same as the RU7 in that they aren't self powering and rely on the Iphone? I could be in the same boat.

Ive always wanted to hear what all the fuss was about with the Mojo :thinking:

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #6,199 of 6,223
I am planning on upgrading to Iphone 15 or 16 (when its out), but i thought iphones dont provide enough power? Is the problem the iphone or the lightning connection?

I actually owned the Go Blu and sold it a week later, because i didn't hear a difference with or without it. I also was told bluetooth dongles restrict the quality of the source, which is why i bought the wired Cayin RU7. Aren't some of these dongles the same as the RU7 in that they aren't self powering and rely on the Iphone? I could be in the same boat.

Ive always wanted to hear what all the fuss was about with the Mojo :thinking:
The problem is the lightning connection being limited to prevent the phone from being drained. It's a combination hardware and firmware restriction.
Of course bluetooth restricts the quality of the stream but good luck picking that out blind :wink:
It's about use case. You can use bluetooth or you can use a tethered usb connection. That's why I did the * they have bluetooth support and USB "line in" while also having on board power.

The RU7 uniquely uses too much power to upsample all to DSD while also draining power for High gain.

Edit: What did you mean with or without it? In relation to what?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #6,200 of 6,223

Option 5, buy the Ddhifi Mf 07S. I use my Ru7 always on dsd128

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #6,201 of 6,223

I’ve had no end of issues with my iphone13 and any dongle or DAC that isn’t the Apple one. Just way too many compromises with a now dead technology, being Lightning.

I will fix this problem later this year when the new iPhone is released, but one device I really liked is the HiBy R3 II. You can hotspot it to any iPhone to use AirPlay instead of Apple’s gimped Bluetooth, it’s got a 4.4mm jack, it’s tiny and disappears in any pocket, and most importantly it sounds great at its very reasonable price point.

The only drawback is the extra button mashing you need to do to hotspot it, but once that’s going it works great with no messy cables or wires except the one that came with your E12.

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #6,202 of 6,223
Got the e10 Custom. The fit is excellent btw.

1712706639379.png

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #6,204 of 6,223
1)The problem is the lightning connection being limited to prevent the phone from being drained. It's a combination hardware and firmware restriction.

2) Edit: What did you mean with or without it? In relation to what?
1) are you saying that buying a newer USB-C iphone could eliminate the issue?
2) i just meant i didnt hear a difference between using the GO vs when not using it at all. I could not hear a difference.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #6,205 of 6,223
1) are you saying that buying a newer USB-C iphone could eliminate the issue?
2) i just meant i didnt hear a difference between using the GO vs when not using it at all. I could not hear a difference.
1) Yes I and others have pointed this out. Apparently there's an expensive DDhifi cable that works with your situation you may want to give a go.
2) This binary doesn't work 🤣 Using the ifi Go Blu vs not plugged in to anything? Plugged into the RU7? an Apple dongle? It has to be relative to another source. If you can not hear a difference than that means you aren't going to be too miffed about source swapping? You couldn't hear a difference between bluetooth and wired? Throw me a bone here.

What we are all saying is your transducers are not the problem and you shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. The DDHifi cable linked above in post 6,200 looks like your first stop before more expensive source swaps or phone upgrades.

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #6,206 of 6,223

Or just get a DAP instead. Like HiBy R6 Pro 2 or Shanling M6 Ultra or an iBasso DX260.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #6,207 of 6,223
Or just get a DAP instead. Like HiBy R6 Pro 2 or Shanling M6 Ultra or an iBasso DX260.
I figured the ballpark was 300 and under with a reach below 500 at this point in time 😅 those are all great options below 1k

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #6,208 of 6,223
Would love to hear others impressions of similar TOTL comparisons with FiR flagships. Not sure how much better anything could get from here.
I got to hear xe6 Jewel and Trailli side by side for some time.

I had no many dubts which one was more likely to win on me and be the keeper .. But I would probably have all them in my collection : if I could afford it. Also I've always been more into a one-solution or one setup only for music listening , rather then multiple chains and rotations.

- Jewel displayed more resolution and a unique mids-front vibe , still very smooth , signature ; but a peak too hot : fatiguing for me for long listenings . Very different then xe6 .

- Trailli had a weird upper mids/ lower highs emphasys that I couldn't completely digest , not fatiguing in this case but it didn't make some of my fav tunes a great display ; apart from this they were more even and safe then Jewel , more pleasurable for long listenings , ..a bit less resolution for my perception . Quite very different then xe6 still but not as much as Jewel.

- Xe6 have a much better timbral attitude then Jewel ( fazed /vibrancy in mids) and a minorly still generally better timbral attitude then Trailli ( very good timbral attitude even if different bite on timbers, yet quite delicate and airier then xe6 , but not as widespreadly correct to all instruments and voices as xe6 ) ; xe6 has the less fatiguing sound , xe6 is the the more eq-friend of all 3 as to not show sibilances nor shouty on peaks or no bass clipping and alikes etc , on any eq I tried , sure I can't say the same for the other 2's ; and xe6 adds natural body thickness and presence to notes (or instruments ), in physical way , a thing that the other two sets quite lack - but they similarly lack a BCD tech , or kinetic bass : which might be even better , or so people who tried both usually say.
Xe6 set is much more behaved and resolved then both in bass section ( more resolution , more analogue , more range and control , much more info down there ..and much more upfront too ; sure better p.r.a.t then both ) ; I would say naturally extended in highs : minus the extra resolution perception and vibrancy then Jewel , and minus the airier well behaved clarity of Trailli.

It is more fastly engaging then both : Jewel were aiming at reference with a lyric/romantic spice , Trailli at reference in a western and slightly more bold fashion , very finely tunely behaved ( therefore one of the most referenced iem ever..)

Xe6 set needs 'a bit more' ear and brain burnin-in to their particular ( raw? full? ) signature, sure I wouldn't dare calling them refined and finely tuned at first , sure mids do not come up hot or front at your attention , but then they are the more analogue sounding , the most timbral excellent , the more bass behaved , more easily engaging and less easily fatiguing for me too

Xe6 is fairly ( or maybe boldly ) different then both Jewel and Trailli
While these twos can speak more a same fine language and fashion among them, xe6 is quite a different beast.
Beast in my alley , an elephant in someone else room - can be ; different species ,and I can't tell that one is better and superior then others when judging in absolute terms .
My bias is clear. I am rather happy with it. As usual , to each his own.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #6,209 of 6,223
1) Yes I and others have pointed this out. Apparently there's an expensive DDhifi cable that works with your situation you may want to give a go.
2) This binary doesn't work 🤣 Using the ifi Go Blu vs not plugged in to anything? Plugged into the RU7? an Apple dongle? It has to be relative to another source. If you can not hear a difference than that means you aren't going to be too miffed about source swapping? You couldn't hear a difference between bluetooth and wired? Throw me a bone here.

What we are all saying is your transducers are not the problem and you shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. The DDHifi cable linked above in post 6,200 looks like your first stop before more expensive source swaps or phone upgrades.
Shure SE846 wired into apple dongle to Iphone 11 (Qobuz), sounded the same to my ears as SE846 plugged into the Go Blu connected via bluetooth to the Iphone 11 (Qobuz). So i sold it and purchased the RU7. I heard a difference using the RU7 and was satisfied. Upgraded to e12 and here we are :)

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #6,210 of 6,223
The e10 Custom really responds well to more powerful sources and amps. The staging opens up substantially too.

I used the iFi Zen Signature Set, and it gets along quite well with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back