Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #4,082 of 6,244
based on the comments here it would make more sense for me to get the xenon instead of the radon if I already have a monarch mark 2 and the ie600.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #4,083 of 6,244
So, I've had ~6 hours of collective listening time with Rn6 exclusively with the red module. So far finding the best sound / fit with the Azla Crystals and AET07 which is also the same case with my Neon 4. Source is Shanling M9 on medium gain.

Some off the cuff, stream of thought type notes below. I'm by no means an expert level Head-Fi'er and haven't heard a ton of TOTL stuff so I can't offer this and that comparisons and my descriptions will be a bit "basic bitch" so forgive me in advance.

On the whole, Rn6 has somewhat surprised me in it's presentation. They are quite a bit more "neutral" than I had anticipated them being. Neutral in relative terms as they are not a traditional neutral but certainly more so than how I remember hearing Xe6 and much less bass oriented than say the Nio. This isn't a "reference" tuning as there's a clear, almost omni present subbass foundation which I hear across most of the genres I've tried thus far in my library. This is still a warm IEM in my opinion. I'm primarily a metal and prog rock listener but have jumped to jazz fusion / funk a bunch as well.

I'm finding Rn6 to be very versatile across my library. I don't find any major faults or wonkiness jumping from jazz fusion (Metheny, Carlton) funk/soul (Menahan Street Band) to metal (Horrendous, Haken, and much heavier/scarier stuff) to alt rock (Mac Demarco, Drugdealer). There's plenty of punchy bass on tap but it stays in it's lane for the most part allowing mids and treble room to breath and on occasion shine above. Acoustic instruments come across as natural, with realistic timbre and weight. No bloat or bleed from bass to mids and I've yet to come across a cymbal crash that has caused me to wince from too much sizzle. Drum kicks punch and decay so satisfyingly. Guitar strums and riffs crunch and solos soar like they do live and have an almost visible texture to them as the strings reverberate. I don't listen to much music with female vocals but male vocals come across front and center in the mix with not a hint of thinness or bloat. A perfectly balanced weight and they stand tall amongst the bass and treble.

I hear a nice, spacious soundstage that presents in an oval shaped field spanning far left and right but not overly deep front to back. Pans are very satisfying and I can pinpoint instrument location with ease. I absolutely lost myself listening to Menahan Street Band's self titled album. The horns are downright intoxicating and every detail, hum, reverberation and nuance in the recording can be heard. Imaging is probably the best I've personally heard to date in my limited Head-Fi experience.

I think I'll stick with M9 as my source as I feel DX312 will be a bit too flat for how I want to hear Rn6. M9 is a relatively colored, powerful and punchy DAP in it's presentation across all of my IEMs and I want that addition with Rn6. I'll try it but my guess is I'll find better synergy with M9.

Planning to swap from red to gold modules later this afternoon to see what the other end of the isolation spectrum sounds like. I'll try to provide some impressions with the gold module later this weekend once I've had a chance to spend some time with it.

If you can't tell from my notes above, I am really liking these and am having a hard time taking them out of my ears. To me, that's the best indicator of a set that I'll get along with and so far Rn6 keeps pulling me deeper and deeper into my library and various genres (and away from work tasks :sweat_smile:). Anyways, enough rambling for now...

1679668111201.png

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #4,084 of 6,244

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #4,085 of 6,244
So I bought the red modules for my Xe6. They're not doing it for me - they just sound wrong? Makes the mids/treble sound too neutral relative to the bass. Silver makes it way more coherent. Tried cable rolling (OTL and FTS), but with any cable, I'm not a fan of red.
I like that they pull back the mids a bit. 🤭

If you don’t like them you can likely easily pass them along to someone else.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #4,086 of 6,244
So, I've had ~6 hours of collective listening time with Rn6 exclusively with the red module. So far finding the best sound / fit with the Azla Crystals and AET07 which is also the same case with my Neon 4. Source is Shanling M9 on medium gain.

Some off the cuff, stream of thought type notes below. I'm by no means an expert level Head-Fi'er and haven't heard a ton of TOTL stuff so I can't offer this and that comparisons and my descriptions will be a bit "basic bitch" so forgive me in advance.

On the whole, Rn6 has somewhat surprised me in it's presentation. They are quite a bit more "neutral" than I had anticipated them being. Neutral in relative terms as they are not a traditional neutral but certainly more so than how I remember hearing Xe6 and much less bass oriented than say the Nio. This isn't a "reference" tuning as there's a clear, almost omni present subbass foundation which I hear across most of the genres I've tried thus far in my library. This is still a warm IEM in my opinion. I'm primarily a metal and prog rock listener but have jumped to jazz fusion / funk a bunch as well.

I'm finding Rn6 to be very versatile across my library. I don't find any major faults or wonkiness jumping from jazz fusion (Metheny, Carlton) funk/soul (Menahan Street Band) to metal (Horrendous, Haken, and much heavier/scarier stuff) to alt rock (Mac Demarco, Drugdealer). There's plenty of punchy bass on tap but it stays in it's lane for the most part allowing mids and treble room to breath and on occasion shine above. Acoustic instruments come across as natural, with realistic timbre and weight. No bloat or bleed from bass to mids and I've yet to come across a cymbal crash that has caused me to wince from too much sizzle. Drum kicks punch and decay so satisfyingly. Guitar strums and riffs crunch and solos soar like they do live and have an almost visible texture to them as the strings reverberate. I don't listen to much music with female vocals but male vocals come across front and center in the mix with not a hint of thinness or bloat. A perfectly balanced weight and they stand tall amongst the bass and treble.

I hear a nice, spacious soundstage that presents in an oval shaped field spanning far left and right but not overly deep front to back. Pans are very satisfying and I can pinpoint instrument location with ease. I absolutely lost myself listening to Menahan Street Band's self titled album. The horns are downright intoxicating and every detail, hum, reverberation and nuance in the recording can be heard. Imaging is probably the best I've personally heard to date in my limited Head-Fi experience.

I think I'll stick with M9 as my source as I feel DX312 will be a bit too flat for how I want to hear Rn6. M9 is a relatively colored, powerful and punchy DAP in it's presentation across all of my IEMs and I want that addition with Rn6. I'll try it but my guess is I'll find better synergy with M9.

Planning to swap from red to gold modules later this afternoon to see what the other end of the isolation spectrum sounds like. I'll try to provide some impressions with the gold module later this weekend once I've had a chance to spend some time with it.

If you can't tell from my notes above, I am really liking these and am having a hard time taking them out of my ears. To me, that's the best indicator of a set that I'll get along with and so far Rn6 keeps pulling me deeper and deeper into my library and various genres (and away from work tasks :sweat_smile:). Anyways, enough rambling for now...

How would you compare 64 Audio's Nio to Fir Audio's Rn6? I ordered the Rn6 a few days ago due to wanting better bass slam and technicalities as well as wanting better details and layering in the mids and highs. I'm hoping Rn6 is a like hybrid sound of the Nio and U12t (I haven't heard the U12t but do own the original U12 post-ADEL branding and the Nio). It's probably going to be another week until my set of Rn6 arrives but not sure if I would want to open it when it arrives as for a similar price I could get 20% off a Focal Stellia (Focal sale currently on multiple retailers) and maybe buy the new 64 Audio U4s for a gym beater pair. I do like the sound of Audeze LCD2-Fazor (2016), Focal Radiance, and Grado Hemp so I'm hoping Rn6 fits this similar sound signature. You seem to have a similar preference in headphone and iem sound signatures so I would like to hear/read your thoughts more. Thank you!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #4,087 of 6,244
Joined the Fir club today. I bought the last XE6 that Andrew had. No more coming. Is there a better cable than stock?

Mar 24, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #4,088 of 6,244
Joined the Fir club today. I bought the last XE6 that Andrew had. No more coming. Is there a better cable than stock?

I think the stock cable for XE6 is excellent, but I do also like Chiron 4 wire on it if you want to lean up the lower end and brighten the upper mids. It works well, but I do not find it necessary as I enjoy the warmth overload XE6 brings.

Mar 24, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #4,089 of 6,244
How would you compare 64 Audio's Nio to Fir Audio's Rn6? I ordered the Rn6 a few days ago due to wanting better bass slam and technicalities as well as wanting better details and layering in the mids and highs. I'm hoping Rn6 is a like hybrid sound of the Nio and U12t (I haven't heard the U12t but do own the original U12 post-ADEL branding and the Nio).
Well, I think the Rn6 will give you what you’re after here.

Rn6 has a cleaner presentation on the whole compared to Nio. Not sure which modules you tend to use but I only use M15 and M20 with my Nio as MX is much too bass light for my tastes. Rn6 has a more defined and tactile bass response than Nio to my ears. Nio bass is big, room filling and often times a bit wooly and slow. I love it with some rock, EDM and rap/hip hop but it’s a bit over the top and too much for genres that have fast bass hits in quick succession. Where Nio will blur that type of bass together, Rn6 is nimble and punchier. Because of the way the bass is presented, Rn6 comes across as more detailed, with more present mids and with much more top end extension. It’s also a more spacious soundstage with a greater sense of separation between instruments. Vocals are much more forward on Rn6 than they are with Nio.
It's probably going to be another week until my set of Rn6 arrives but not sure if I would want to open it when it arrives as for a similar price I could get 20% off a Focal Stellia (Focal sale currently on multiple retailers) and maybe buy the new 64 Audio U4s for a gym beater pair. I do like the sound of Audeze LCD2-Fazor (2016), Focal Radiance, and Grado Hemp so I'm hoping Rn6 fits this similar sound signature. You seem to have a similar preference in headphone and iem sound signatures so I would like to hear/read your thoughts more. Thank you!
Rn6 bass, at least with the red module, is closer to that if the LCD-2’s snappy, immediate, planar bass than the Nio’s bigger, night club like bass IMO.

Haven’t heard U12T or any of the other headphones you mention so can’t comment on those in comparison.

Hope this helps. Still early days with Rn6 and I haven’t fully wrapped my head around them yet so to speak so take that as you will.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #4,090 of 6,244

I think the stock cable for XE6 is excellent, but I do also like Chiron 4 wire on it if you want to lean up the lower end and brighten the upper mids. It works well, but I do not find it necessary as I enjoy the warmth overload XE6 brings.

I agree with Aaf that Xe6 stock Scorpion-C is excellent. If you want to expand the soundstage, maintain Xe6's signature and don't mind a thick cable – EA Code 23 is exceptional for $600 ($679 Pentconn 4.44) – it's been my favorite pairing so far.

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #4,091 of 6,244
Well, I think the Rn6 will give you what you’re after here.

Rn6 has a cleaner presentation on the whole compared to Nio. Not sure which modules you tend to use but I only use M15 and M20 with my Nio as MX is much too bass light for my tastes. Rn6 has a more defined and tactile bass response than Nio to my ears. Nio bass is big, room filling and often times a bit wooly and slow. I love it with some rock, EDM and rap/hip hop but it’s a bit over the top and too much for genres that have fast bass hits in quick succession. Where Nio will blur that type of bass together, Rn6 is nimble and punchier. Because of the way the bass is presented, Rn6 comes across as more detailed, with more present mids and with much more top end extension. It’s also a more spacious soundstage with a greater sense of separation between instruments. Vocals are much more forward on Rn6 than they are with Nio.

Rn6 bass, at least with the red module, is closer to that if the LCD-2’s snappy, immediate, planar bass than the Nio’s bigger, night club like bass IMO.

Haven’t heard U12T or any of the other headphones you mention so can’t comment on those in comparison.

Hope this helps. Still early days with Rn6 and I haven’t fully wrapped my head around them yet so to speak so take that as you will.
Thank you for responding back! ☺️ I bought the Fir Atom XL modules to use with the Nio since I found, at first listen, the Nio to sound too bloated in lower mids with M15 module. The N15 helped clean the lower-mids bass bleed enough to keep that module currently in use. But then again, I just add more mid-bass and upper-bass emphasis through my DAP's eq. Gotta love JetEffect eq on the Cowon P2 MK2. Hopefully, the kinetic bass, right ATOM XS module, and EQ will get me what I'm looking for in Rn6. Partially got this IEM because I had heard all Frontier series (Ne4, Kr5, and Xe6) were all "bassier than the Nio" from Minidisc's Frontier Series YouTube review. I was tempted to get Sony's IER-Z1R iem, Unique Melody's Mest, or Empire Ears's Odin but felt that all might be either too big or not have a good enough pressure relief system to keep me wearing IEMs for extended periods of time.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #4,092 of 6,244
Thank you for responding back! ☺️ I bought the Fir Atom XL modules to use with the Nio since I found, at first listen, the Nio to sound too bloated in lower mids with M15 module. The N15 helped clean the lower-mids bass bleed enough to keep that module currently in use. But then again, I just add more mid-bass and upper-bass emphasis through my DAP's eq. Gotta love JetEffect eq on the Cowon P2 MK2. Hopefully, the kinetic bass, right ATOM XS module, and EQ will get me what I'm looking for in Rn6. Partially got this IEM because I had heard all Frontier series (Ne4, Kr5, and Xe6) were all "bassier than the Nio" from Minidisc's Frontier Series YouTube review. I was tempted to get Sony's IER-Z1R iem, Unique Melody's Mest, or Empire Ears's Odin but felt that all might be either too big or not have a good enough pressure relief system to keep me wearing IEMs for extended periods of time.
Nice. I’ve not tried any of the other available modules beyond the 3 that come with Nio as stock. I know many like the FiR 0 red module which supposedly slots in between M15 and MX.

Interesting that Minidisc finds the Frontier series IEMs as being bassier than Nio. Maybe XE6 i can see but I find Nio to be bassier than Neon 4 by a fair margin but I think it’s more so a difference in how the bass is presented. Neon 4 is solidly midbass focused and is punchier than Nio. But I find Nio to be bassier than Neon 4 on the whole. I find Nio bassier than Rn6, too, at least with red module installed. Xe6 I’d say is about on par with Nio but again it’s presented more as midbass where I hear Nio to have both elevated sub and mid bass (more the former to my ears).

Mar 24, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #4,093 of 6,244
I’ve tried it with FT, FTS and OTL. Earlier in this thread I said I preferred it with FTS. But now that I’ve had the Xe6 a little longer and adjusted to the warmth, I’ve decided I prefer the OTL.

They’re both solid options. The key difference between FTS and OTL is whether you want warmer/lusher, analog, slightly recessed mids, or cleaner neutral mids (I guess a little bit like whether you prefer the silver atom or the red atom..). And I find the OTL’s mids sit better for me for bassy IEMs like the Xe6, Evo and Odyssey.

OTL’s bass is also a little bit better than FTS, not in terms of quantity but in terms of texture. And of course the aesthetics of the OTL + Xe6 are fantastic! (brown + gold)

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #4,094 of 6,244
334016156_768401381559866_3803680051549140059_n.jpg

My first Fir Audio IEM ever, the Xenon 6, is a basshead dream come true...and not that much of a guilty pleasure too since we aren't in muddy fest at all....
We are in densely layered and lush musicality with a rumble focus like no other.
I was sceptikal about the benefit of Kinetic bass driver....and well, i'm bluffed...this is like having one sub wooffer at each side of your head, yet, without the resonance bleed inherent to single driver. Sub bass line and especially rumble is super well layered and rounded, vibrant, rich, dense, heavy...it physical and intellectual at same time, in the sens the definition of lower pitched not are well articulate, not mixing in each other resonance or blur....this is so unique bass rendering and not sounding artificial are all...thats what bluff me.
Im rarely satisfy by bass performance due to the struggle of IEM ot deliver good separation between kick and sub bass-rumble...one tending to ''eat'' or dominate other one...in this case, we have both meaty presence and hefty impact, chunky natural way.
Its sligthly similar bass to Unique Melody Mext, but more boosted and well define in roundness, and better articulated in sub bass region.
Sure, their some trade off in term of background cleanliness due to vast bass headroom, but again, it's not in a muddy or messy way, and tend in fact to suck you up in holographic richness.

yumyumyum!

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #4,095 of 6,244
Apologies in advance – this isn't a review :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Follow-up to my quick impressions after 36 hours of exclusive listening with Rn6 and 1 hour of Rn6 / Xe6 comparative listening. Posting consists of this novice Head-Fier's not so critical listening notes of both UIEMs using an Oriolus-RAOSOUND Audio Selector.

Bonus, I did cable roll CODE 23 with Rn6 and found it even more detailed and a bit "sizzly" in the highs. For Cooler's who know me, I love cables but Rn6's exclusive is f'ing exceptional and don't feel the urge to or recommend cable rolling. And another bonus, it's also f'ing guud with Xe6 where it's comparable to Xe6 paired with Code 23. I'll cable roll Rn6 when I get discharged sometime next week.

Is Rn6 better than Xe6? Nah, I think of both as co-flagships. Rn6 is Xe6's opposite twin retuned to a neutrally warm signature with excellent clarity, technicals, more sub-bass and leaner mid-bass. Both IEMs are very versatile across my music collection where Rn6 has me rediscovering my favorite tracks and playlists.

I haven’t had the opportunity to audition the latest TOTL IEMs from UM, Noble, Campfire, etc and looking forward to my other Watercooler mates to post their impressions and thoughts. Shout out and thanks to @Garney for our conversations.

If you’re blind buying and seeking a neutrally warm IEM with exceptional range across your music collection, I’d recommend giving FiR’s Rn6 a listen.

The Set Up:
FiR Audio Rn6 with Red ATOM XS

Exclusive Rn6 pure silver with copper shielding cable
JVC Spiral Dots++ ear tips

FiR Audio Xe6 with Silver ATOM XS
Stock Scorpion-C 8-core copper and Effect Audio's CODE 23 (Pentaconn OFC 4.4)
JVC Spiral Dots++ ear tips

HiBy RS8
Audio Settings

• Class AB
  • Turbo Mode
  • H Gain
  • No plugins or MSEB
  • DSD gain compensation +6dB
Darwin Controller
  • Low-pass antialiasing filter - Darwin Default
  • DSD Filter - Darwin Default
  • NOS - non-oversampling ON
  • Harmonic Controller - 0
  • No custom presets
Oriolus/RAOSOUND Audio Selector with Eletech Illiad 4.4–4.4 interconnect

Tonight's first track selection
Starting with Kriz's,
“Zhin Zhin (For My Wife)” from his The Journey Home album on Humania Records

Trombone Player and Session Musician Krisztian Csapo, also known as “Kriz” brings a new Stereo Pure DSD 256 album of Big Band Jazz music. The album was recorded with the Horus Analog to Digital Converter from Merging Technologies at SuperSize Recording Studios.

Solos: Hadrien Feraud, Krisztián Csapó, Gergő Borlai
Krisztián Csapó - trombone
Ádám Meggyes - trumpet
Gergő Kováts - tenor sax
Gabor Ladanyi - guitar
Áron Tálas - rhodes
Hadrien Feraud - bass
Gergő Borlai - drums

Xenon 6 with stock Scorpion-C, Volume 25
"Zhin Zhin" opens with a seductively rhythmic drum and bass duo. It's percussive and impactful with slow decay and thick full body mid-bass extending into the lower mids. The full body signature extends throughout the track where the horns and cymbals are swimming in the fullness of drums and bass especially in the early parts of the track. The drums, bass and rhodes are the stars with Xe6 and only when the drums and bass recede do the horns – trumpet, sax and Kriz's trombone solos shine. Soundstage is small and at times intimate like a jazz club around 10pm. Instruments are shallowly layer with precise positioning.

Xenon 6 with EA CODE 23, Volume 25
Big
improvement with expansive soundstage – open and spherical. Thickness is reduced, but still there, allowing the horns and cymbals to shine. Drums, bass and rhodes are more in the background with faster decay.

Radon 6 with Exclusive pure silver with copper shielding cable, Volume 30
Immersive spatial large soundstage makes the biggest impression – very much like Xe6 with CODE 23 but more airy and definition. All of the instruments are in their lane but not as recessed as Code 23. Drums are sub-bass punchy and impactful. If the drums, bass and rhodes are the stars with Xe6, the horns are the stars with Rn6. Kriz's trombones solo truly shines along with cymbals sounding more like cymbals with a satisfying splash without sizzle. Instruments come across as natural, expressive with realistic timbre and weight.

Tonight's second track selection
Aes Dana's, “Inks” from his album "Topic"

The title track "Inks" starts with shadowy atmospheric sounds of water, dense clouds engorged with drizzly rain. Waves roam on a solitary beach where hoops form drones wandering on a shoreline of lost tones. Heavy pulse spawns through the dark atmospheres, where rhythm structures turn into futuristic beats. Rhythm is fed with textural psybient tones, fauna refuses to form in organic beats and a sustained rhythm where each footstep makes microscopic sound particles leap.

TL;DR a gorgeously dark atmospheric track with clicks, glitches, deep sensual textural bass that washes over and pulls, luring you further away from safe shores.

Xenon 6 with stock Scorpion-C, Volume 25
Spatial wide and thick weighty atmospheric – like fog. Bass is impactful and slowly spreads, lingering.
Track note: 00:52, there's a series of water-like tones that traverse spatially from back to front – the tone movement sounds shallower on Xe6

Xenon 6 with EA CODE 23, Volume 25
Identical impression as earlier – improvement with expansive soundstage – open and spherical. Thickness is reduced, but still there and weighty notes. Glitches, pops, clicks are more precise and defined.

Radon 6 with Exclusive pure silver with copper shielding cable, Volume 30
Expansive, spatially layered and atmospherically spherical in all axis. 00:52 subtle water details are more apparent which was hidden in Xe6 + Scorpion-C. "Inks" sounds expansive where Rn6 immerses you in gorgeously dark atmospheric seas where quiet pauses are dark and lonely. The microscopic glitches delightfully dance pleading you to try to grasp only dissipating. Track note: 00:52, there's a series of water-like tones that traverse from back to front – the tone movement sounds delightfully spatial on Rn6, I here it traveling overhead teasing me to look up.

Xe6-Rn6 graph.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back