Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 6, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #3,481 of 6,234
New owner of a custom KR5. Still hanging onto my Sony IER-Z1R (for now) but, oh my, what a difference in weight. (Perhaps custom KR5s are even lighter than the universals?) Yes, I know the Z1Rs are known, in part, for their heft and that it's not a fair comparison, but I continue to be shocked as I move from one to the other. The KR5s, coupled with a Plussound X-series 2-wire cable, fairly disappear when inserted. (I'm not at all impressed with Fir's stock Scorpion cable --to stiff for my taste.)

Speaking of cables, and because of the KR5's coherence, I'm looking forward to seeing if I can discern sound differences switching cables (still undecided on the whole matter). Using copper right now, but my SPC and GPC await.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #3,482 of 6,234
In universal form, KR5 weighs about 7g each. Unless you requested a metal shell, I assume your customs will be significantly lighter - 4g, perhaps?

I've tried using my universal KR5 with Nightjar Mira in 2-wire and 4-wire forms. There was (to me) a discernible improvement in instrument separation, stage depth and stage width. Mira is an expensive cable but it made a significant difference to my ears.

Have fun testing!

Jan 6, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #3,483 of 6,234
In universal form, KR5 weighs about 7g each. Unless you requested a metal shell, I assume your customs will be significantly lighter - 4g, perhaps?

I've tried using my universal KR5 with Nightjar Mira in 2-wire and 4-wire forms. There was (to me) a discernible improvement in instrument separation, stage depth and stage width. Mira is an expensive cable but it made a significant difference to my ears.

Have fun testing!
All acrylic. I've read, as you say -- although not widely, that increasing the cable wire count can increase instrument separation and staging. As my three cables (copper, SPC, GPC) are all 2-wire, I'll likely find more subtle differences, if any (?). Should there be a standout cable, then going to 4- or 6-wire might be a next step, and I'm glad that option exists. To get even more instrument separation and staging from the KR5 would be something, indeed. But it will be fun to try and discern materials differences for now -- thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #3,484 of 6,234
All acrylic. I've read, as you say -- although not widely, that increasing the cable wire count can increase instrument separation and staging. As my three cables (copper, SPC, GPC) are all 2-wire, I'll likely find more subtle differences, if any (?). Should there be a standout cable, then going to 4- or 6-wire might be a next step, and I'm glad that option exists. To get even more instrument separation and staging from the KR5 would be something, indeed. But it will be fun to try and discern materials differences for now -- thanks.
I'm pretty new to the whole cable rabbit hole so am trying to stay away from the edge! I generally get more pleasure messing around with different amps and DACs as I can discern more significant differences. I've tried some limited cable swapping with KR5 and do discern differences. With that in mind, I have a "relatively" inexpensive 8-wire pure silver cable in transit, which I'm excited to try. From speaking to a few cable makers, pure silver seems a potentially interesting solution with KR5, at least for my music and tastes.

I do think it's worth experimenting as all the FiR IEMs seem to respond well to cable changes. Definitely fun, as you say.

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #3,486 of 6,234
Jan 6, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #3,487 of 6,234

Have fun testing!
I'm pretty new to the whole cable rabbit hole so am trying to stay away from the edge! I generally get more pleasure messing around with different amps and DACs as I can discern more significant differences. I've tried some limited cable swapping with KR5 and do discern differences. With that in mind, I have a "relatively" inexpensive 8-wire pure silver cable in transit, which I'm excited to try. From speaking to a few cable makers, pure silver seems a potentially interesting solution with KR5, at least for my music and tastes.

I do think it's worth experimenting as all the FiR IEMs seem to respond well to cable changes. Definitely fun, as you say.
Would love to hear your impressions with the 8-wire silver cable on the KR5. As you know, many give no credence to cable rolling (and I'm still agnostic) but I can see how you'd be encouraged after hearing results going from 2- to 4-wire. I hadn't made any serious cable comparisons with previous IEMs, but the clarity of the KR5 has me pulling cables out of the drawer to have another go.

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #3,488 of 6,234
The sub-bass on KR5 and XE6 is still immense, so I'd certainly consider both. I was just listening to this on KR5 - https://songwhip.com/sabrina-claudio/put-on-repeat - and the sub-bass was excellent. FATfreq Maestro SE is worth a look at a lower price-point.
And which one would you say has the leaner midbass (that’s my weird preference, lots of subbass, less midbass)?

And thanks for the answer.

Jan 6, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #3,489 of 6,234
And which one would you say has the leaner midbass (that’s my weird preference, lots of subbass, less midbass)?

Sure thing. I'd say KR5 has leaner midbass but it's not lean by any means. It doesn't sound like it graphs though, that's for sure. Are you able to try the FiR range? Personally, I found the XE6 just too warm and rich, but I know there are many who love it.

There's a nice, albeit short, review of KR5 here:
https://eliseaudio.com/blogs/impressions-and-reviews/fir-audio-kr5-big-bang

Jan 6, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #3,490 of 6,234
Would love to hear your impressions with the 8-wire silver cable on the KR5. As you know, many give no credence to cable rolling (and I'm still agnostic) but I can see how you'd be encouraged after hearing results going from 2- to 4-wire. I hadn't made any serious cable comparisons with previous IEMs, but the clarity of the KR5 has me pulling cables out of the drawer to have another go.
I'm equally agnostic about cables, perhaps because me ears aren't attuned well enough to the sometimes subtle differences offered. I've used three different cables with KR5 in the last couple of weeks and ended up back with the stock cable again. I perceive differences then lose them again - it feels like chasing vapour at times. I'm hopeful the silver cable I have on order will provide a different perspective. If I still perceive little difference, I'll just stick with the one that looks and feels the best!

Jan 6, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #3,491 of 6,234

Honestly if sub bass emphasis is what you're after I really don't think any of the Frontier series are the right choice. I love them but they're just not sub bass heavy IEMs. You can find better options for sub bass focus at lesser cost outside of the Frontier series.

Jan 6, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #3,492 of 6,234
Honestly if sub bass emphasis is what you're after I really don't think any of the Frontier series are the right choice. I love them but they're just not sub bass heavy IEMs. You can find better options for sub bass focus at lesser cost outside of the Frontier series.
You have far more extensive knowledge with different IEMs than I do, evo. What would you look at instead? Something like Maestro SE?

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #3,493 of 6,234
You have far more extensive knowledge with different IEMs than I do, evo. What would you look at instead? Something like Maestro SE?

Hah I mean there’s a lot of sub bassy IEMs out there! That’s definitely one of them but the amount of options is huge.

i think the frontier IEMs have excellent sub bass, they just aren’t sub bass focused to me which seems what he wants? The Kr5 gets closest to that but even then I find it hard to consider it a sub bass focused IEM because it’s still very healthy in mid bass too.

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #3,494 of 6,234

Kr5 has less midbass and it’s literally not even close.

Xe6 probably has the most midbass of any iem ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back