Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jul 25, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #1,606 of 6,234
I'm now looking to step up again and wonder if M5 might be a good choice.
I'd definitely recommend trying them yourself, many reviews i watched and read contradicted each other, and it was hard for me to even get the general impression of the sound.
I've also read this thread from the beginning recently, strange how some people who praised M5 as the best iem ever a year or two ago don't care for it now and don't rate it very high anymore :thinking: But that's head-fi for you, we are happy with what we have only for the briefest moment.

Fir's european distributor, Dune Blue could probably help with demo. Also, last time i've asked, "Headphone Auditions" in Amsterdam had a demo that they could ship.

Jul 25, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #1,607 of 6,234
I'd definitely recommend trying them yourself, many reviews i watched and read contradicted each other, and it was hard for me to even get the general impression of the sound.
I've also read this thread from the beginning recently, strange how some people who praised M5 as the best iem ever a year or two ago don't care for it now and don't rate it very high anymore :thinking: But that's head-fi for you, we are happy with what we have only for the briefest moment.

Fir's european distributor, Dune Blue could probably help with demo. Also, last time i've asked, "Headphone Auditions" in Amsterdam had a demo that they could ship.

Brilliant, thank you - I will definitely try and see if I can audition first, too much of a gamble for that sort of money.

Yeah funny how the threads are incredibly busy and drift to an occasional post, I've seen it with a few now in my short time on Head-Fi.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #1,608 of 6,234
FiR Audio VxV an apocryphal apocalyptic journey

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fir-audio-vxv.24782/review/26418/

7A5ED097-ED02-41E2-86CA-EC61B1514FF9.jpeg

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #1,609 of 6,234
Hey folks, I originally was going to get the M4 customs after auditioning m3 and m4, but I got some extra cash I can spend, so I’m leaning towards M5 atm. I am traveling soon so I couldn’t get a chance to audition the M5, and was wondering if going from M4 to M5 would be a direct upgrade? And also was curious if anybody noticed a big difference b/w scorpion SPC and scorpion-C cable?

I’m currently reading a lot of reviews of M5 and, well I could only find people praising it as one of THE BEST iem so I was wondering what y’all think.

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,610 of 6,234
Hey folks, I originally was going to get the M4 customs after auditioning m3 and m4, but I got some extra cash I can spend, so I’m leaning towards M5 atm. I am traveling soon so I couldn’t get a chance to audition the M5, and was wondering if going from M4 to M5 would be a direct upgrade? And also was curious if anybody noticed a big difference b/w scorpion SPC and scorpion-C cable?

I’m currently reading a lot of reviews of M5 and, well I could only find people praising it as one of THE BEST iem so I was wondering what y’all think.

Thanks!
they do sound pretty different, the m5 has a much bigger bass. Its really up to your preference as they are both top tier.

Aug 4, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #1,611 of 6,234

Thanks!

Its a nice IEM. Very clean, coherent and very good separation. Snares seem to be a bit upfront which i love. Note value might be slightly north of neutral. Bass is tight but this set does not sound warm. My main driver is the EE LX for reference. I may be spoiled.

If you are sensitive to that 6k peak they can be very energetic. I find low volume the M5 still sounds pretty incredible. I currently have these guys and im receiving the MEST today. I'm trying to find something to compliment my LX.

I cant say if the m5 is the best iem ive heard. I think the LX is but overall technicalities the M5 has the LX beat. I still have a few iems to knock off the list (Odin, The Bird). The m5, is definitley a top-tier iem, though.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #1,612 of 6,234
Its a nice IEM. Very clean, coherent and very good separation. Snares seem to be a bit upfront which i love. Note value might be slightly north of neutral. Bass is tight but this set does not sound warm. My main driver is the EE LX for reference. I may be spoiled.

If you are sensitive to that 6k peak they can be very energetic. I find low volume the M5 still sounds pretty incredible. I currently have these guys and im receiving the MEST today. I'm trying to find something to compliment my LX.

I cant say if the m5 is the best iem ive heard. I think the LX is but overall technicalities the M5 has the LX beat. I still have a few iems to knock off the list (Odin, The Bird). The m5, is definitley a top-tier iem, though.

Interested to hear your impressions of MEST vs M5 when you have had time to listen and compare. I own MEST MKII and considering another multi-driver of some description, M5 on the list. Is it MEST MKII you have on the way?

Aug 4, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #1,615 of 6,234
Cheers, enjoy the new arrival!

Thank you!

Ok. I dont need too long to make an assessment. I squeezed some time in as my workload is super hectic starting in about an hour.

M5
So, what i really like about the M5 is how upfront the mids are. Im a former drummer and the drums are my main focus when listening to music. I listen to Hard Rock all the way up to Death Metal. The crack of the snare is almost as intoxicating as the bass of the LX, for me. However, the M5 would probably excel in electronic music or this is my assumption as that 5k peak is pretty harsh, to my ears.

Another thing that i love about the M5 and this may be the 5k gain... is how it renders toms. The way the tom rings out in the beginning of Taproot's - Wherever I stand is so vivid and awesome. Powerful and impactful. The only other iem that really shook my panties was the Erlkonig; such power and definition on tom hits.

MEST OG
What i really like about the MEST is that treble. The amount of air between hi-hat strikes and the details its capturing is top-level. One of the best treble implementations ive heard. I only have a few TOTL left on my list and some of those being: Odin, Bird, UM Fusang and some more obscure iems like Rhapsidio (sp?).

TIT 4 TAT

--The M5 has more bass than the OG MEST.
--Stage is pretty equal
--MEST seems to do bass lines deeper and more realistic, which is odd considering; M5 sounds a little sterile here.
--The MEST does have the lift around 6k but you do not hear that energy as much as the M5s 5k.
--"piercing" cymbal strikes depending on recording (Living Colour - Ignorance Is Bliss)
--M5 has a bit of veiling, possibly due to the 5k peak.
--The MEST has better articulation and power in cymbals, whereas the M5 is softer but still detailed.
--M5 excels in mid-ranged instruments (especially toms).

VERDICT
I have not listened to the MK2 but id imagine with the elevated bass and more prominent mids - you might have a very similar sounding iem in the M5. Unless, some of the tangibles of the M5 are appealing; i would move onto the next iem. MEST/MEST MKII is a really good offering for the price.

I've attached some of the files i used for listening/critical listening and that were bolded above:

https://tinyurl.com/yc78ymx6

Aug 5, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #1,616 of 6,234
Thank you!

Ok. I dont need too long to make an assessment. I squeezed some time in as my workload is super hectic starting in about an hour.

M5
So, what i really like about the M5 is how upfront the mids are. Im a former drummer and the drums are my main focus when listening to music. I listen to Hard Rock all the way up to Death Metal. The crack of the snare is almost as intoxicating as the bass of the LX, for me. However, the M5 would probably excel in electronic music or this is my assumption as that 5k peak is pretty harsh, to my ears.

Another thing that i love about the M5 and this may be the 5k gain... is how it renders toms. The way the tom rings out in the beginning of Taproot's - Wherever I stand is so vivid and awesome. Powerful and impactful. The only other iem that really shook my panties was the Erlkonig; such power and definition on tom hits.

MEST OG
What i really like about the MEST is that treble. The amount of air between hi-hat strikes and the details its capturing is top-level. One of the best treble implementations ive heard. I only have a few TOTL left on my list and some of those being: Odin, Bird, UM Fusang and some more obscure iems like Rhapsidio (sp?).

TIT 4 TAT

--The M5 has more bass than the OG MEST.
--Stage is pretty equal
--MEST seems to do bass lines deeper and more realistic, which is odd considering; M5 sounds a little sterile here.
--The MEST does have the lift around 6k but you do not hear that energy as much as the M5s 5k.
--"piercing" cymbal strikes depending on recording (Living Colour - Ignorance Is Bliss)
--M5 has a bit of veiling, possibly due to the 5k peak.
--The MEST has better articulation and power in cymbals, whereas the M5 is softer but still detailed.
--M5 excels in mid-ranged instruments (especially toms).

VERDICT
I have not listened to the MK2 but id imagine with the elevated bass and more prominent mids - you might have a very similar sounding iem in the M5. Unless, some of the tangibles of the M5 are appealing; i would move onto the next iem. MEST/MEST MKII is a really good offering for the price.

I've attached some of the files i used for listening/critical listening and that were bolded above:

https://tinyurl.com/yc78ymx6

That's really helpful, thank you - your conclusion aligns with a review I read in terms of similarities between the two. I'll strike M5 off the list!

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Aug 5, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #1,617 of 6,234
That's really helpful, thank you - your conclusion aligns with a review I read in terms of similarities between the two. I'll strike M5 off the list!

Thanks again, much appreciated!

My pleasure. Glad it was helpful. Can't go wrong with either. The only real conflict is do you like your treble tasty and airy like the mest or do you like your mids upfront like the M5? I think im going to get rid of the M5. Otherwise, they are a very similar offering. Yes, there are some small nuances but unless you sit and A/B back and forth - you ain't missing much on either set over the other.

Good luck on your next lusting of purchase. :)

Aug 8, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,620 of 6,234

Users who are viewing this thread

Back