Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
May 5, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #1,486 of 6,538
I am not so sure what to expect from the VxV anymore and I hope my decision to order blindly was the right one. Anyway I am exited!
As usual, it depends a lot on what you compare them with, and what tonality you prefer.
For me it was a similar story to what Crinacle writes:
crin_VxV.png

It felt like a very decent technical level, but a tuning that i didn't quite liked, and that sounded harsh with some of my music.
I actually regret a little not spending more time playing with EQ, but at the time i had them, i think there were no FR graphs available yet, so i wouldn't know what to do anyway :)
If i had them now, i would try something like this

May 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,487 of 6,538
My understanding is it's not the most detailed or resolving IEM, even in comparison to others in its price range, but offers a more musical listening experience. I also don't remember reading that it offered a particularly wide stage, definitely not one as wide as Solaris. I won't be getting mine for at least a month, but I'll definitely be going over the reviews/impressions again.

Cool, did you also order on Drop? :beerchug: Me, I will have to wait for about a month, too!

Actually most reviews state that VxV`s soundstage is quite large, due to the Atom module! This is actually one of the reasons why I bought it! And not only one reviewer wrote its soundstage is larger than Solaris (Twister6, who is very well respected, was one of them)!
Just one other review said the sound stage is not large (see the quote) which kind of confused me....

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #1,488 of 6,538
It seema everything is right. Reading all those I think of this. This is not a flagship yet you have all the technicalities of a flagship.

It offers wide and large soundstage but with not as a big treble extension of a flagship.
Yes it is true the VxV dont has a bright treble, but it doesn't limit it to show the extensions. They simply wont be presented the same way like a fourté would. Cause the fourté treble or the M5 is far stronger and more technical.

Thw VxV offers an extremely well packed package with abilities to perform in each territory of the frequencies yet it is not pushed to the limit to be the ultimate beat like a flagship would. But it still all there !

You should worried less as you will understand VxV is a very unique affordable iem that has big scaling potential and will also sound different according to your cable and eartips selection.

I reassure you the purchase is pretty much safe as a bunker during nuclear war LoL.

Let us know how it goes once you receive yours 😎
Please run them a good 100hours of burn at least to let the DD burn in to open their true nature 😛🙂
Thanks for your words that made me even more curious! :dt880smile: Well, actually my favourite IEM is the Oriolus Mk2. It is also mid centric and people say its treble extension is not its strongest point. But I never had any issue with it and would pick it over many so called flagships with higher resolution, simply because the tonality of the Oriolus is so much more of my taste and also because to my ears IEMs with too high resolution can sound unnatural (maybe I should use the term "hyper realistic"). So with this preferences I thought the VxV might be something for me, even though its tonality seems to be a slightly different take on mid centric than Oriolus. Also, I love well rounded and well thought product design as a "whole package" - and the VxV leaves exactly that impression on me. And you also seem to confirm that! :)

Might sound almost philosophical, but I feel the term "Flagship" has become a very difficult and relative one in the IEM world recently.
Only a few years ago 1000 Dollar IEMs were called Flagships, now they are called "Midfi" because prices have gone up so drastically. But I feel just the price does not define a Flagship. Because you also have IEMs like that Monarch for 700 Dollar that seem to be technically up there (EST driver with crazy resolution) with much more expensive phones. And there are 4000 Dollar IEMs, like the Thummin that get criticized a lot for its bass bleed, for example. So I am actually not so sure anymore what a Flagship is.

Anyway, thanks again for your impressions and for sure I will write here about my ones! :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #1,489 of 6,538
As usual, it depends a lot on what you compare them with, and what tonality you prefer.
For me it was a similar story to what Crinacle writes:

It felt like a very decent technical level, but a tuning that i didn't quite liked, and that sounded harsh with some of my music.
I actually regret a little not spending more time playing with EQ, but at the time i had them, i think there were no FR graphs available yet, so i wouldn't know what to do anyway :)
If i had them now, i would try something like this
Yes, I agree with you - so often it is about personal preferences in our hobby! :smile_phones: By the way, I was wondering what Crin meant with "interested colored take on a neutral reference signature"? Isn`t this a kind of oxymoron? Also, what is the meaning of "interested" here? Does he mean "interesting" (I am not a native English speaker)?

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #1,490 of 6,538
Cool, did you also order on Drop? :beerchug: Me, I will have to wait for about a month, too!

Actually most reviews state that VxV`s soundstage is quite large, due to the Atom module! This is actually one of the reasons why I bought it! And not only one reviewer wrote its soundstage is larger than Solaris (Twister6, who is very well respected, was one of them)!
Just one other review said the sound stage is not large (see the quote) which kind of confused me....
Haha, yeah, ordered on Drop. I've been eyeing the VxV for some time, especially since I missed out when @Vitaly2017 sold his.

May 5, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #1,491 of 6,538
Haha, yeah, ordered on Drop. I've been eyeing the VxV for some time, especially since I missed out when @Vitaly2017 sold his.
Did you also order blindly or did you hear it before? And what made you choose the VxV?

May 5, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #1,492 of 6,538

Next time be quicker 😛🤣

Need to do big leaps to catch-up with a tiger 😛🐅🐾

May 5, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #1,494 of 6,538
Haha, seriously though. When I heard the story behind the VxV I became intrigued. Not sure if you're aware, but it was originally supposed to be priced higher, but due to some miscommunication with their distributor, Fir had to price it lower. This made the VxV an interesting value proposition. With the way some IEMs are priced these days I figured I'd give it a try, the discount from Drop made the decision easier.

May 5, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,495 of 6,538
May 5, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #1,496 of 6,538
Haha, seriously though. When I heard the story behind the VxV I became intrigued. Not sure if you're aware, but it was originally supposed to be priced higher, but due to some miscommunication with their distributor, Fir had to price it lower. This made the VxV an interesting value proposition. With the way some IEMs are priced these days I figured I'd give it a try, the discount from Drop made the decision easier.
Yeah, I have seen that video on Youtube, too! Could be marketing, though...:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But I want to believe it is not! And I 100% agree with you on recent IEM prices:thumbsup: Let`s see how we will like little Firry! :) What IEMs do you come from?

May 5, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #1,497 of 6,538
Yeah, I have seen that video on Youtube, too! Could be marketing, though...:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But I want to believe it is not! And I 100% agree with you on recent IEM prices:thumbsup: Let`s see how we will like little Firry! :) What IEMs do you come from?

I also sense good stuff from audeze the euclid that one too seems like an affordable near flagship good all arounder.

May 5, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #1,498 of 6,538
Interesting posts.
I always enjoy @Hanesu posts

listening to the VxV on the train this morning...

it seems to be tip dependent also. I did a bit of tip rolling until i found one that i felt bought out the best to my ears - Accoustune AET 08. (Might revisit this again).

the "interested (interesting) colored take on a neutral reference signature" Crinacle quote seems to ring true also.
- Linear with a bit of body/weight to it??

It would be good if reviews added which dap/s were used, tips, music track list if no photos of music played, volume listened to...etc as this can help with varied contrasting opinions - (i have been guilty of some of the above - but i am a lazy xxxx) - then again its all a bit of an audiophile Tower of Babble at the best of times.

@rantng post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fir...-and-impressions.910581/page-99#post-16336715

and @Vitaly2017 post below that provide a good summary.

‘Everyday carry’ i think is the VxV tag line by FiR Audio. An on the go earphone (maybe not for sitting at home in silence analytical listening) but with the level of quality of sound we expect from FiR Audio.

i am getting various levels of satisfaction this morning as i am shuffling tracks randomly on the iBasso DX300 - currently The Cardigans ‘erase and rewind’ is playing and the low end and vocals are very enjoyable.

Hybrids have come a long way towards coherency. Finding those right tracks and volume to bring out the best of both worlds (DD/BA) is a challenge.

when in doubt appeal to a higher power. In @twister6 we trust.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,499 of 6,538
I have a lot of (too many) IEMs. When I first started it was all about resolution & soundstage, but I've come to appreciate more musical & engaging IEMs. The crazy thing is I now probably average less than 1 hour of listening time each day. Most of my listening is done on late weekend nights so for the limited amount of time I spend listening I want to enjoy the music & not worry so much about hearing every last detail.

May 6, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #1,500 of 6,538
When I first started it was all about resolution & soundstage, but I've come to appreciate more musical & engaging IEMs.
Same here! :) It`s a little bit as with wine, isn`t it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back