Finished SOHA: Now for the problems...
Jan 16, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #31 of 51
the 60 is 63.5, the -12 is -12 exactly, and the -12.6 is -12.53.

Are these good readings?

Jan 16, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #32 of 51
one of them doesnt want to go lower than 41.8 but the other one is now at 41.7. is that decent?

EDIT: you're right! It is ridiculously loud!
One more thing, the hum is almost gone, now it only hums when its not plugged into anything and a little when i touch the nob.
There is also a TINY bit of static in the background when nothing is playing. (this is probably the hum)

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #33 of 51
Other than that, the sound quality is really great. Just the very very slight hum/noise/static and it gets pretty noisy when i turn up the amp to full volume with nothing playing. What could I do to fix this?
The sound is MUCH better than my Creek. More full, more separated, more detailed.

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #35 of 51
I tried twisting it as much as i could but i was unable to get any lower.
Is this bad for the amp/ dangerous?

EDIT: one is 40.0 and the other fluctuates between 40.1

Good?

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried twisting it as much as i could but i was unable to get any lower.
Is this bad for the amp/ dangerous?

EDIT: one is 40.0 and the other fluctuates between 40.1

Good?

That's pretty much on the spot.
Give the amp a bit to warm up and see if the measurements change.

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #37 of 51
ive been kinda out of the loop for the past couple of days and I wanted to know whats going on with that db board for the soha?
Is it being produced?

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

ive been kinda out of the loop for the past couple of days and I wanted to know whats going on with that db board for the soha?
Is it being produced?

Highly likely. Steinchen mentioned that he may have 3 different discrete buffers produced. Check out the HeadWize interest check.
By the way, there are recommended parts changes if you're planning to implement the DB's into your SOHA. I'm holding back on documenting it because the DBs is not in production yet and there may still be more recommendations for SOHA parts, etc etc.

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #40 of 51
sweet!
generally how do opamps and db's compare?
What are the pros and cons of both? Will I need to modify my board at all?

Jan 16, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #41 of 51
Here is my final setup.
Does it look safe enough to keep it running?
Ive got the fuse in. Should I be worried about anything catching on fire or some freaky crap happening?

DSC00046.jpg

I want to leave it on so it breaks in but i dont want something bad to happen if its unstable.
BTW, I am waiting for an IEC from fallenangel so I will pretty up the wires going into the trafo once that arrives.
Are there any things I should consider doing to the board to further improve quality?
opamp rolling? tube rolling?
ive got the OPA2134PA and JJ ECC82 tube.
Anything I can do to make it better or different? Something deeper would be interesting. How does the tube change with the burnin.

EDIT: What are peoples favorite tubes for this amp?

Jan 16, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #42 of 51
I am currently using Electroharmonix 12AU7/ECC82 and OPA2227 for the time being with my DT770/80. That combination is definately less bassy, a little bit more airy and bright than OPA2132 and JJ. Therefore matches with the 770.

I will try the twin OPA551 and JJ when I get the DT880/-03 within next few week. And of course, I will get the buffers from steinchen when they are published.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #43 of 51
does my amp look safe enough to operate then?
Anything glaringly obvious that needs to be done?

Jan 16, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

does my amp look safe enough to operate then?
Anything glaringly obvious that needs to be done?

Case the devil or at least all the things that are touched and can be touched with AC. For a cheap solution, buy a plastic cookie/kitchen containers/boxes or anything your imagination could come up with.

Casing will protect you and your family, your amp from physical damage, contacts being shorted and even protect from distortions. E.g. with a good kick or by stuffs flying around the RCAs could touch the fuse or the transformer and you can say good bye to your source and your amp.

Of course, if you are sure and willing to take the risks, you can use just like it is now.

Jan 16, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #45 of 51
I am very interested in getting a case for it. What would you guys recommend for this amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back