Finding some new (budget) headphones...
Mar 25, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #16 of 20
Careful about the Xcape available on ebay right now... it's the V2, and according to people in the Xcape V2 thread, they don't sound the same (congested to some degree, even), and build quality seems disappointing.

A shame, really, I was sort of eyeing them, and the V1 was reported to be an awesome earphone.  Can't be found easily now, except maybe used.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #17 of 20
I will say that I am not against iem's, and do use a couple of pairs of lower end ones (Senn cx300 and similarly priced sonys), so I am not against the idea of a better quality pair should the quality be a lot better than similarly priced over-ears.

At the same time, comparing the two styles I have I can hear a difference in the sonic style between having the larger speakers sitting at a short distance versus a tiny speaker right in your ear - is this more a problem between the particular models I have and will even out at the higher quality ranges?

I was passing a local place and found a few sets of headphones in budget the clerk recommended as being good - Sony v500's and the AKG K430, no idea if they are any good or even comparable to iem's...

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #18 of 20
Not sure if you have seen this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-72-portable-headphones-reviewed-monster-beats-studio-added-03-22

And after reading loads and loads of threads on here the only low budget headphones I was thinking about getting was JVC RX700 at 28 pounds but they are well big, CAL! at 50 pounds and second hand Shure 440 below 50 pounds.  I found a bunch of people that absolutely think they are the best value for money at their price.

Then only recently found out about Superlux 668B at £35.  Those are the only ones I can recommend really.  I know lots of people love Sony which suppose to have good bass but you do need to research the model as there are some proper duds.  AKG is good with K701 but I can't remember how good K430s are but only they weren't considered the best for their price.

Basically, best for their price are those four above.

Or there is a UK meet in London next Sat and come down to try out some gear.  At the end of the day, you can read as much as you like or get recommended but best is to hear it for yourself.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #19 of 20

I would love to come down, but living at the opposite end of the country does prove a problem...

I will investigate your recommendations and the other thread though.
Quote:
Not sure if you have seen this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-72-portable-headphones-reviewed-monster-beats-studio-added-03-22

And after reading loads and loads of threads on here the only low budget headphones I was thinking about getting was JVC RX700 at 28 pounds but they are well big, CAL! at 50 pounds and second hand Shure 440 below 50 pounds.  I found a bunch of people that absolutely think they are the best value for money at their price.

Then only recently found out about Superlux 668B at £35.  Those are the only ones I can recommend really.  I know lots of people love Sony which suppose to have good bass but you do need to research the model as there are some proper duds.  AKG is good with K701 but I can't remember how good K430s are but only they weren't considered the best for their price.

Basically, best for their price are those four above.

Or there is a UK meet in London next Sat and come down to try out some gear.  At the end of the day, you can read as much as you like or get recommended but best is to hear it for yourself.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #20 of 20

In regards to the mdr-v500dj and the akg k430, The v500dj is inferior in sound quality and construction to the V6, and uncomfortable to boot. Honestly, having tried various Sony headphones, the first rung on the ladder is the V6 or maybe the V700. Anything cheaper just kind of disappoints.

As for the k430, it is a nice balanced sounding portable, about the same size as the px-200 (though I prefer it's bass oriented cousin the k518le). I'd still push the V6 if you want the most "wow, these sound much better" reaction. The k430 would be more of a side-grade.

I will say that I am not against iem's, and do use a couple of pairs of lower end ones (Senn cx300 and similarly priced sonys), so I am not against the idea of a better quality pair should the quality be a lot better than similarly priced over-ears.

At the same time, comparing the two styles I have I can hear a difference in the sonic style between having the larger speakers sitting at a short distance versus a tiny speaker right in your ear - is this more a problem between the particular models I have and will even out at the higher quality ranges?

I was passing a local place and found a few sets of headphones in budget the clerk recommended as being good - Sony v500's and the AKG K430, no idea if they are any good or even comparable to iem's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back