Finding music we like...
Jan 14, 2010 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

TheAndre

100+ Head-Fier
I was trying to google a method for finding a music that I might like without connecting wires to my brain
smily_headphones1.gif

As a result I found this:

Music-Map - The tourist map of music

I kind of like the way it works.

What do you think?

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 38
I use last.fm for finding new bands, generally.

EDIT: But this is pretty cool, I must say...

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 38
I usually use sputnikmusic, rateyourmusic and what.cd. Generaly I find that searching by genre usually works better even if you have to try harder to find truly similar artists. Problem with just looking by similar artist is that some of the similar bands are either cheap knock-offs, are terrible or are more there by popular association than actual melodic similarity.

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 38
I've found a lot of great music through recommendations here.
smily_headphones1.gif
Head-Fi'ers are a great resource!

I also like to pull up favorite bands on Amazon and see what it recommends as well as what is recommended through customer reviews. I've found a lot of music that way.

Internet radio stations are also another good way, as are actual radiomstations if you have any that play decent music.

If you're into the more, er, "academic" genres, then you can pick up books on jazz, classical, blues, roots, that are pretty exhaustive and can lead you
to a lot of different artists and composers.

Jan 14, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 38
I've always found Pandora a great resource. Easy enough to check out which album a particular song came from, and see what the rest of that artist's music sounds like. I've found my favorite electronica artists through Pandora
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #9 of 38
The music-map is interesting but has come up with some odd relations. For example I typed in "Bela Fleck" and it had both Lawrence Welk and Barbra Streisand floating around as somehow related. Odd.

My favorite music recommendation service is a friend I know who is knowledgeable about music and has a bit of an eclectic taste in music. He's never steered me wrong and I've discovered some interesting music.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
......My favorite music recommendation service is a friend I know who is knowledgeable about music and has a bit of an eclectic taste in music. He's never steered me wrong and I've discovered some interesting music.

So Ham, cut loose with some intel . . .
Share with us a couple of your latest favs . . .

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 38
Anytime I used Last.fm to find something similar to Dream Theater I got useless results like Circus Maximus e.t.c...

I had to find manually (with the help of friends and forums) real things like Rush ....

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 38
Looks cool, and potential useful. Thanks for sharing!

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Ham, cut loose with some intel . . .
Share with us a couple of your latest favs . . .

Some of the recommendations I've gotten from my friend have been:

Jerry Douglas et. al.: Skip, Hop & Wobble
Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um
Jaco Pastorius: Punk Jazz the Jaco Pastorius Anthology
The Subdudes: The Subdudes
Leftover Salmon: Euphoria
Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus
Return To Forever: The Anthology
Roy Buchanan: Sweet Dreams The Anthology
Stevie Vaughan: In The Beginning (early recording but the feel of live bar room music is just so good)
Poi Dog Pondering: 7

He's also recommended David Grisman, but I discovered that's a little too much mandolin for me. So that recommendation let me down. Other than that he's been spot on for music that I'd find interesting and like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back