Finding music we like...
Jan 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #16 of 38
I'm always out for CDs. I prefer the shops or fairs, otherwise google, allmusicguide checking out shops and asking around work. Ebay is great for finding CDs that are hard to find in Europe.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the recommendations I've gotten from my friend have been:

Jerry Douglas et. al.: Skip, Hop & Wobble
Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um
Jaco Pastorius: Punk Jazz the Jaco Pastorius Anthology
The Subdudes: The Subdudes
Leftover Salmon: Euphoria
Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus
Return To Forever: The Anthology
Roy Buchanan: Sweet Dreams The Anthology
Stevie Vaughan: In The Beginning (early recording but the feel of live bar room music is just so good)
Poi Dog Pondering: 7

He's also recommended David Grisman, but I discovered that's a little too much mandolin for me. So that recommendation let me down. Other than that he's been spot on for music that I'd find interesting and like.

Thanks. I've got some list'nin to do.

For your brave and fearless commitment to the furthering of musical enjoyment for the Head-Fi community, I Knight thee The Earl of Sandwich
Edward_Montagu.jpeg

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #18 of 38
I use Spotify and my new hobby is hunting down new music. Music Map is brilliant and various bands are now downloading for listening.
k701smile.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #19 of 38
I may be a bit old school, but my favorite source are reviewers. There are several I track, plus a couple of my favorite online review sites have samples embedded right there - easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Of course, the myriad of other available sources still play a part.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #20 of 38
This would make a good game. For example, I got from Gucci Mane to Yes in 4 clicks. Just choose an artist far from something you know and see how quickly you can get to another chosen artist.

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Internet radio stations are also another good way, as are actual radiomstations if you have any that play decent music...

Try wpkn.org - they're pretty eclectic, and what they play is usually interesting.

- Ed

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #22 of 38
Few years ago I was in bus that was waiting for more passangers to come on board.
Guy standing near me was listening to iPod with white buds so that I could hear 30% of his music. It was something that impressed me more than anything: violin combined with nice epic guitar riffs... It was a strange combination of classical music and rock. I regret that I did not ask him... I have not found the band yet...

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAndre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Few years ago I was in bus that was waiting for more passangers to come on board.
Guy standing near me was listening to iPod with white buds so that I could hear 30% of his music. It was something that impressed me more than anything: violin combined with nice epic guitar riffs... It was a strange combination of classical music and rock. I regret that I did not ask him... I have not found the band yet...

sad...i was halfway through your post and already planning on asking who it was
frown.gif
though resolution 15 is a metal band that uses violins instead of guitars, but i dont like the singer

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Apocalyptica?

There's tons of bands like this though, it's hardly anything special really.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

It's King Crimson isn't it? Well, it should be anyway. On the other hand, symphonic stuff has been done to death in metal, so you can have fun rummaging through that.

Jan 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #28 of 38
I tried Appocaliptica and Epic. They are quite close but it is not what I heard...
It could be that I heard 30% and imagined the other 70% myself...

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

I tried Appocaliptica and Epic. They are quite close but it is not what I heard...
It could be that I heard 30% and imagined the other 70% myself...

Summoning
Bal-Sagoth
Ne Obliviscaris
Haggard
Hollenthon
Septic Flesh
Sigh
Virgin Black
Tvangeste
Magini Animi Viri

Not sure about violin but all these bands uses some form of classical instruments.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #30 of 38
Thats pretty cool, its similar to another system that I have seen elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back