Finding Meaning in Lyrics and Music
Feb 24, 2008 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Forsaken Sound

Head-Fier
Last week, I got into an argument with my roommate. He held that music is just a form of entertainment and nothing more, saying that he ignored the lyrics and everything without looking further into the music. He thought that if the lyrics made him sad or something that the lyrics should be just ignored. Since it was an argument, I held the opposite viewpoint that it is foolish to not listen the lyrics and to find out what the song means and about who wrote it. So, I guess that it comes down to what music means to everyone. Hence, I am curious as to what people's opinions are on this topic. Do you listen the lyrics? If so, do you try to find meaning in them and research them? If not, how come?

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 14
Case by case basis. As I rule I only feel like reading and studying lyrics only if the music itself is good. And more often than not the I am disappointed by the banality of what is written: even self-styled "singer-songwriters" are fully capable of embarrassing themselves.

Extremely poor lyrics (e.g. word salads: meaningless free associations pretending to be enigmatic, cerebral high art) completely ruin a song for me.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 14
I think your roommate has a lot to learn about music. Most people that don't care to listen and know the words, or delve into the music don't know music. They think of it as entertainment, and usually they listen to **** music, because it is just for entertainment. People who really like music look for more than that, and can actually understand the music and judge its quality.
In short those that just look for entertainment buy that type of music. Hence they miss nothing, because their music has nothing deeper.
Then there are those of us who actually like music, and research it more, because the music we like actually has meaning.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forsaken Sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last week, I got into an argument with my roommate. He held that music is just a form of entertainment and nothing more, saying that he ignored the lyrics and everything without looking further into the music. He thought that if the lyrics made him sad or something that the lyrics should be just ignored. Since it was an argument, I held the opposite viewpoint that it is foolish to not listen the lyrics and to find out what the song means and about who wrote it. So, I guess that it comes down to what music means to everyone. Hence, I am curious as to what people's opinions are on this topic. Do you listen the lyrics? If so, do you try to find meaning in them and research them? If not, how come?

I used to pretty much only listen to the chorus and get a basic and general gist of the song. You do get the energy behind the music/lyrics. I feel that is what most people do. I also feel that the deeper you go down the rabbit hole, the more the red pill seems like a viable option. What I mean is that you start to see the reality behind the scenes. You start to realize a lot of music is recorded badly, has stupid lyrics, and only a bass beat to appeal to the masses (which are concordantly stupid). However, the blue pill keeps you safe. Ignorance is bliss.

What you gotta learn to do is argue effectively. Read: debate. You very well could have easily won.

Tyler

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylernol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to pretty much only listen to the chorus and get a basic and general gist of the song. You do get the energy behind the music/lyrics. I feel that is what most people do. I also feel that the deeper you go down the rabbit hole, the more the red pill seems like a viable option. What I mean is that you start to see the reality behind the scenes. You start to realize a lot of music is recorded badly, has stupid lyrics, and only a bass beat to appeal to the masses (which are concordantly stupid). However, the blue pill keeps you safe. Ignorance is bliss.

What you gotta learn to do is argue effectively. Read: debate. You very well could have easily won.

Tyler

It was not so much a matter of winning here as it was for him to understand my point. I gave him point by point reasons why his view was not intelligent nor wise. He basically has put his subconscious at the mercy of people who could be telling him to go do horrible things. Also, he has practically agreed to their viewpoints because he will listen just to the beat and the energy of the music without any understanding on his part. I have never seen anyone so actively be proud of ignorance and foolishness in my life! If he likes being blissful and seems to hate knowledge (at least certain kinds of it), then I must wonder why he is in college. I am concerned about him to say the least. I think that if you critically listen, you actually might find something new in life and learn, even if you do not agree with the artist's message. I just guess that lazy listening and self-apathy has taken over the United States a bit too much of late...

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 14
What I've learned over time is people will take what they want from music.

My favorite example is "Can't Stop" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

We're talking about a song that was basically Anthony Kiedis bulls**ting while John Frusciante played a really catchy guitar riff. That's it. But god forbid I tell any of my friends that; I know people who treat the last line ("this life is more than just a read through") like the ********* gospel.

In my opinion, it's a good song, regardless of the meaning, but people will place whatever value they want on it.

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 14
yeah, I think that is the point. I personally like to listen to lyrics. There have been some songs that have gotten me through some tough times because the lyrical content resonated with what I was feeling. I would say it is good when music is vague enough to have perhaps two or three semantic interpretations, it usually becomes undefined if it has more or endless interpretations. But then there are those people who are female that listen to misogynist rap music and don't think twice. I guess they do like being treated like a "Ho".

Sadly I think most people commoditize music to the point of it being vague, meaningless, and or background noise. The little pops and clicks that numb the cold apathy of life. Well music has enriched my life quite a bit. I think this new horrible trend is evidenced in two ways. Pop music that has little to no meaning at all, and he boom in sales of in ceiling speakers which provide no imaging or emotion to listening to music at all. I am guessing if you go into a lot of suburban homes you will hear really crappy music on really crappy speakers playing in the background with really apathetic people playing pool, or doing what even ****** bag ex frat boys do with their "Bros". Most people like their music like they like their spekears out of the way and hidden so you cannot see it. I think Steven Wilson said it best in the song "The Sound of Muzak" when he said,

"Hear the sound of music
Drifting in the aisles
Elevator prozac
Stretching on for miles

The music of the future
Will not entertain
It's only meant to repress
And neutralize your brain

Soul gets squeezed out
Edges get blunt
Demographic
Gives what you want

Now the sound of music
Comes in silver pills
Engineered to suit you
Building cheaper thrills

The music of rebellion
Makes you wanna rage
But it's made by millionaires
Who are nearly twice your age

One of the wonders of the world is going down
It's going down I know
It's one of the blunders of the world that no-one cares
No-one cares enough"

I don't think I know what I would have done had I not discovered porcupine tree. I really like their LYRICS.

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 14
I find myself listening more and more to music without lyrics, as I get pulled further in to classical and jazz. In a way, I like that there are no words to distract.

I find the same with foreign music, sung in a language I don't understand.

Pop and rock mostly have throwaway lyrics, anyhow. Some of it is worth paying attention to, but most of it isn't. If you want words to chew on, it's better to get a good novel or a book of poetry.

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find myself listening more and more to music without lyrics, as I get pulled further in to classical and jazz. In a way, I like that there are no words to distract.

Pop and rock mostly have throwaway lyrics, anyhow. Some of it is worth paying attention to, but most of it isn't. If you want words to chew on, it's better to get a good novel or a book of poetry.

But that's kind of marginalizing music as a whole. I think music can be one of the best ways to convey a message, I mean, I don't think there are a lot of teenagers who are that politically active, but when they hear an Anti-Flag record, things suddenly click.

By the same token, there's definitely a place for songs that are really lame as far as their message is concerned; there's room in my collection for Weezer and Louis XIV right next to my Sabbath and Rage Against the Machine.

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just curious, so what do you do with the music when there are no lyrics? Do you try to look for the historical context and information about the composer/artist? Or do you let it go without any research into what you are listening to? I know that some people fall into the former camp while others fall into the latter camp. It is a matter of personal preference in a way at this point, but I think that a little knowledge about what "acoustic" music you listen to will never really hurt you.

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 14
Lyrics can be a great part of the music if they fit your tastes. I think of lyrics as being another layer in the music, just as any instrument is a layer in the music. I can't imagine listening to some artists without focusing on the lyrics though - Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Tom Waits. Their lyrics make the music support a story. Kind of like how music fits into a soundtrack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by in_utero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I've learned over time is people will take what they want from music.

My favorite example is "Can't Stop" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

We're talking about a song that was basically Anthony Kiedis bulls**ting while John Frusciante played a really catchy guitar riff. That's it. But god forbid I tell any of my friends that; I know people who treat the last line ("this life is more than just a read through") like the ********* gospel.

In my opinion, it's a good song, regardless of the meaning, but people will place whatever value they want on it.

I get the same reaction when I try to give my opinion of the lyrics from 'Scar Tissue'. Great song and I like Anthony Kiedis as a singer but his lyrics aren't that great.

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forsaken Sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, so what do you do with the music when there are no lyrics? Do you try to look for the historical context and information about the composer/artist? Or do you let it go without any research into what you are listening to? I know that some people fall into the former camp while others fall into the latter camp. It is a matter of personal preference in a way at this point, but I think that a little knowledge about what "acoustic" music you listen to will never really hurt you.

I think some people I know say the same that lyrics don't matter. Lyric is a good way for me to identify with the musician and understanding the the art or whatever they are trying to potray. Sometime I might even disgree with what the artist is saying, but if the writing is good then it is an argument/statement made in good literal form so I am open minded for listening. Genre like neofolk are heavily based on lyrics. Some music is entirely based on the vocal or composed of one singer, opera, chants. I think it just show another side of the artist that they can be good writers, bad lyrics probably would turn me down.

For non-lyrical music I just have to use my imagination and form imagries. So it will be hard for me to listen to music that I can't form anything out of, but I have been told there are music that tries to not be influences by emotions. I do like to read artist's interviews and there are probably some that I disagree with in some degree, but I just try to take it more objectively and leave it up to the music itself, because I think good music is simply good music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back