Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
May 23, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #301 of 1,423
I've been considering the Chord 2Qute DAC

May 23, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #302 of 1,423
It's a bit odd. Try this review  http://headfonics.com/2015/01/the-flow-by-aurender/

At $1300 I'm x-ing it off my list.  Thanks for pointing it out though, it is an refreshingly different take on a DAC/AMP transportable product. 

For half the price I'd go with the Arcam, the Cordero, or any of several others before the Flow.  I can see liking it though.

May 23, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #303 of 1,423

I picked up a Teac UD301 with the $100 rebate ENDING UP AT $300, and having all of the features people have been asking for, including balanced output and it plays pretty much everything short of DXD... I had to give it a try. I read that a few people have lingering problems with Teac based upon equipment they made years ago. I too had less than stellar experiences with Teac gear, but that was 30 plus years ago. I am happy to say that this unit is not in the same class with that gear!  Someone also said he heard one that sounded muddy.. but failed to mention source and speakers/headphones used for the assessment. My assessment does not agree with this at all. Well I can possibly see that assessment applying to the headphone output. More on that below.

Keep in mind that this unit was listed at $700 initially. Bottom line is that I like it. I guess that we will see how it matches with the LC. I have had a set of HE 560 for a few months now. I originally had issues with their sound signature. I played with different DACs and did a few mods. I found that using them with most of my SS gear just did not make me happy. I found that they did the best with hybrid amps with softer more mellow tubes. Since I got the Teac, I found that I can use several of my SS amps with the 560 and be quite happy with the sound. This may indicate to some that the Teac is more mellow, but I think it is the absence of the ESS glare (most of the "better" DACs that I use are Sabre based) that helps the 560. I do not find the Teac at all muddy. When used with any of several amps, it just sounds good to me. No mud. no veil... just nice detailed clean sound. There is a thread here in which it gets some real good reviews as well Here

I think the only thing this is not that is on most people's list, is that it is not small. The build quality is quite good and it is a good looking unit. My only problem with it is that the volume knob is cheap feeling plastic. The action  is nice and smooth though and it is free of channel imbalance  with any headphones I have driven with it.

The headphone output is only adequate. I used it for my AKG K7xx phones and it only drives the reasonably at close to max volume. It also does not sound that great. If one only used the headphone out to audition the Teac, I can see where they might say the unit sounds a bit muddy or at least not that transparent.

In any case, it seems to me that someone not wanting to spend a bunch of money on a DAC, but still want to have what I feel is a quite competent DAC, may want to give this one a try. There is not much to lose at the current price point!

May 24, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #304 of 1,423
  Hello gents. Nice to see another thread. :)

I've noticed some posts about connectors/cables from sources with RSA outputs or TRRS outputs. There is something you all need to know and there is a fix for it.

So, I'm not very smart. It's OK, I made my peace with it long ago. :)

Therefore, despite reading it multiple times, I have essentially no idea what Dr. Cavalli wrote above. All I know is that it might affect my system. 

In preparation for my LC, I had this plug made to connect my AK120II to my LC. It's 2.5TRRS to XLR. 

Is this going to be significantly sub-optimal? Should I get another one made at WyWires? 

Thanks!

May 24, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #305 of 1,423
I am also thinking about dedicated DACs, but I'm not sure yet. Has anyone tried the Chord Qute EX? 

I was thinking about the Gungir, but that thing is massive. 

I'm also wondering how much real sound difference there would be compared to using the DAC in my AK120II. I'll be listening to the system on Alpha Primes and Ethers. 

Thanks for any input. 

May 25, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #306 of 1,423
I am also thinking about dedicated DACs, but I'm not sure yet. Has anyone tried the Chord Qute EX? 

I was thinking about the Gungir, but that thing is massive. 

I'm also wondering how much real sound difference there would be compared to using the DAC in my AK120II. I'll be listening to the system on Alpha Primes and Ethers. 

Thanks for any input. 

If you're looking into Chord then forgo the EX and just get the 2Qute. The 2Qute is the updated model of the EX. Its basically a Hugo without the amp shoehorned into a Chordette chassis.

May 25, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #307 of 1,423
If you're looking into Chord then forgo the EX and just get the 2Qute. The 2Qute is the updated model of the EX. Its basically a Hugo without the amp shoehorned into a Chordette chassis.

At $1800 and most of the price of the Hugo, the 2Qute is waaay 2Expensive. 

I'm still most interested to see if I can use those interconnects I posted a photo of. I'd like to save up for a really nice DAC (the Hegel HD12 looks particularly yummy), but right now I'd like to use my AK120II if possible. 

If I use those interconnects will something break? Will the sound be severely degraded? Will the sound be ever-so-slightly-off from optimum? Will the universe implode? Gotta know!

May 25, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #308 of 1,423
I'm getting the Hugo this month or early next month and I hope to get my hands on this Cavalli one day... one day...

May 25, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #310 of 1,423
May 26, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #311 of 1,423
To those asking about the Aurender FLOW, I heard it t CanJam and I quite liked it.  It's expensive, but you can't think of it as just a DAC since it can hold a mSATA hard drive inside and act as a DAC or a DAP or just storage.  Sonically, I thought it was the smoothest Sabre implementation I've heard since the NFB-28.  It sounded very good.  It was small, portable, classy and had lots of functionality.  I was really hoping to win one in the SHaG since I wasn't ready to spend $1200 (show price) on a DAP.

So yeah, I think it's definitely something to keep in mind if you're looking for great transportable sound.  I don't know if it has a line out, though, so I'm not sure how well it would do as a DAC only.

If you want something that sounds like it, but is much bigger and cheaper, the NFB-28 is a good value.  Of course it's a DAC+Amp so it's a waste with the LC, so maybe the DAC only version, which is the NFB-1.

May 26, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #312 of 1,423
  To those asking about the Aurender FLOW, I heard it t CanJam and I quite liked it.  It's expensive, but you can't think of it as just a DAC since it can hold a mSATA hard drive inside and act as a DAC or a DAP or just storage.  Sonically, I thought it was the smoothest Sabre implementation I've heard since the NFB-28.  It sounded very good.  It was small, portable, classy and had lots of functionality.  I was really hoping to win one in the SHaG since I wasn't ready to spend $1200 (show price) on a DAP.

So yeah, I think it's definitely something to keep in mind if you're looking for great transportable sound.  I don't know if it has a line out, though, so I'm not sure how well it would do as a DAC only.

If you want something that sounds like it, but is much bigger and cheaper, the NFB-28 is a good value.  Of course it's a DAC+Amp so it's a waste with the LC, so maybe the DAC only version, which is the NFB-1.

I was thinking how this would be like a budget Hugo, so comparing that way seems not too bad.  But yes twice as much for the DAC (actually DAC/Amp/mass storage).

It does have 3 line out functions (variable, 2V, 5V), so that's a huge plus in my book.  But the cabling would be a bit odd, coming out of the front of the Flow, to the back of the LC.  But the upside there is one of the many included adapters is a 1/4" stereo to RCA.  So all one would need is a decent pair of RCA interconnects....

May 26, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #313 of 1,423

I was thinking how this would be like a budget Hugo, so comparing that way seems not too bad.  But yes twice as much for the DAC (actually DAC/Amp/mass storage).

It does have 3 line out functions (variable, 2V, 5V), so that's a huge plus in my book.  But the cabling would be a bit odd, coming out of the front of the Flow, to the back of the LC.  But the upside there is one of the many included adapters is a 1/4" stereo to RCA.  So all one would need is a decent pair of RCA interconnects....

The advantage of the Hugo over the FLOW is the DAC (tho that's definitely a YMMV thing), the size and the connectivity.  The advantage of the FLOW is the price, the built-in storage and the aesthetics (again, YMMV).

For half the price, I think the FLOW is the obvious choice over the Hugo.  It's still a pretty penny, though, so not the obvious choice in general, just compared to the Hugo.  It's good to hear it has a line out, as that means it'll work quite well with the LC.  

To be clear, I really liked the FLOW a lot.  I think it's a great choice for anyone willing to spend that much and who isn't concerned about balanced.

May 26, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #314 of 1,423

So, I'm not very smart. It's OK, I made my peace with it long ago. :)

Therefore, despite reading it multiple times, I have essentially no idea what Dr. Cavalli wrote above. All I know is that it might affect my system. 

In preparation for my LC, I had this plug made to connect my AK120II to my LC. It's 2.5TRRS to XLR. 

Is this going to be significantly sub-optimal? Should I get another one made at WyWires? 

Thanks!

Zachawry, this arrangement may or may not work. My guess is no. While it will transmit the balanced signals it won't allow the two units to establish ground. You can fix this pretty easily, I think, depending on what other outputs are available on the source. Are there any others?

May 26, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #315 of 1,423

Zachawry, this arrangement may or may not work. My guess is no. While it will transmit the balanced signals it won't allow the two units to establish ground. You can fix this pretty easily, I think, depending on what other outputs are available on the source. Are there any others?

Thanks for the reply! 

Yes, there is a 3.5 mm jack right next to the 2.5 mm jack. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back