finally the Threshold of discomfort and pain has been achieved (Dynaphase Sixty's)
Jun 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

voodoo do-er

100+ Head-Fier
I I just love loud stuff, witch is not the best

anyway I have a set of Stanton Dynaphase Sixty's witch I like more them on k 701's
I been tweaking some stuff on my pc, equalizer/amp. and just hit Threshold of discomfort and pain 
deadhorse.gif
for some reason I like it. not so much of the pain tho, that makes me sick and dizzy, all most like I'm going to vomit (no lie)
I tell you I love these cans, I can hear them outside of the room there in, that and they sound as good if not better then my akg k701's

anyone here have the Dynaphase Sixty's? if so what are your thoughts?

edit
looks at these bad boys

edit2
loss of hearing here I come lol

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Hearing aid's aren't as fun of things to play with.

I was born with abit of hearing loss, so I know about that
need less to say I will not wear them, I built up an immunity to loud sounds being around them all my life
TBH I have not lost any haring since I was born, but these cans might change that
I don't use them at full blast to much tho

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 13
I was given a pair of Stanton Dynaphase 40's.  I thought they looked ridiculous until I tried them out with my mixer.  I broadcast online music and I love these things!  I had to promise the person who gave them to me to never throw them away.  One day I picked them up and my positive wire to the right driver rusted away so I had to fix them.

I ended up replacing all of the wiring with fresh 18g wire and put in a 1/2" stereo jack so that I could pick my poison when it came to choosing the length of cord I wanted to use.  I then took the cones off and painted them flat black.  I left the inside aluminum blue.

People try to knock on my obnoxiously large headphones until I put them on their head and crank up the volume.  I love these headphones to death!

I'm in the market to pick up a pair of dynaphase 60's.  I love the over sized ultra-heavy headphones.  I sure hope the 60's sound better than the 40's.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 13
I've had mine for a few years now, absolutely LOVE these things. Tough as nails, amazing clean audio and HUGE sound stage.

A few things though:

to totally get rid of the muddy treble, replace the capacitors with non-polar ones of the same voltage and Microfarad rating, they shine like crazy after that mod, old electrolytic capacitors dry up after that long.

To get rid of the "sea shell" effect and boost bass considerably, get some blu-tac or other mastic putty and block the vents in the back and fill the recess in the back with it for damping.

Re-stuffing the ear pads with polyester fiber fill makes them a lot more comfortable and further increases bass.

And the final thing that made these literal headphone nirvana for me, a good headphone amplifier that can handle 8 ohm old school headphones like these, I got really lucky and the one I got off of ebay is a perfect match for them, it's totally generic looking, op-amp based and has the "golden era productions" logo on it, guess Scientologist's make great headphone amps.

After I did those mods, they went from being "ehh these are pretty good for 40-something year old cans" to "oh....my....god" and he is 100% right about them being able to get LOUD, I have to be literally careful with the volume on my headphone amp because they do NOT distort, and instead end up leaving me with tinnitus!

Tiesto's song Urban Train sounds absolutely amazing using them. And so does Gustav Holst's "Mars, the bringer of war" from his suite "The Planets".

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 13
There's a reason they sound so good with the mixer, they are broadcast headphones! Designed to be run from a high current amp like what is in your mixing board, hence why you NEED an amp to properly drive them. And the 40's are pretty nice but seriously get a pair of 60's if you can.

I've heard stories of DJ's back in the day literally deafening themselves with these, and it's easy to see why, put on a good song, crank them up and its heaven.

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 13
I've had mine for a few years now, absolutely LOVE these things. Tough as nails, amazing clean audio and HUGE sound stage.

A few things though:

to totally get rid of the muddy treble, replace the capacitors with non-polar ones of the same voltage and Microfarad rating, they shine like crazy after that mod, old electrolytic capacitors dry up after that long.

To get rid of the "sea shell" effect and boost bass considerably, get some blu-tac or other mastic putty and block the vents in the back and fill the recess in the back with it for damping.

Re-stuffing the ear pads with polyester fiber fill makes them a lot more comfortable and further increases bass.

And the final thing that made these literal headphone nirvana for me, a good headphone amplifier that can handle 8 ohm old school headphones like these, I got really lucky and the one I got off of ebay is a perfect match for them, it's totally generic looking, op-amp based and has the "golden era productions" logo on it, guess Scientologist's make great headphone amps.

After I did those mods, they went from being "ehh these are pretty good for 40-something year old cans" to "oh....my....god" and he is 100% right about them being able to get LOUD, I have to be literally careful with the volume on my headphone amp because they do NOT distort, and instead end up leaving me with tinnitus!

Tiesto's song Urban Train sounds absolutely amazing using them. And so does Gustav Holst's "Mars, the bringer of war" from his suite "The Planets".

thanks
the muddy treble seems to be getting better, I thought about changing the caps. but I have no idea what to get.
any tips ? I don't want to make them worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back