Finally taking the ER-4P plunge....
Feb 18, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #31 of 49
So are you all using them with an amp, or mainly ampless?

Also, I know that Headroom is getting rid of their stock-- are the ones they have the all black ones, or are they the red/blue ones?

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I know that Headroom is getting rid of their stock-- are the ones they have the all black ones, or are they the red/blue ones?

This concerns me. I wonder if Etyomic is considering discontinuing the ER-4P? If not, I wonder why Headroom will no longer be selling them? I know that Amazon still has them. The all black ones.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #36 of 49
These are the headphones/iems that I always can fall back on. I've bought and sold them 3 seperate times thinking that I can get rid of them, but I always have a desire to own a pair. I've got a pair now that I highly doubt that Ill ever get rid of (unless they fail) even if I do only use them probably 20 times a year.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchi211 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using mine ampless at least for now. I am considering getting the P to S cable though, in which case I'll use it with my Simpl A1 amp.

I feel that the ER4P's sound isn't improved amped. I have the P-->S, but even with it I don't notice a significant benefit from amping (granted, I have only tried around 5 different amps and I may have yet to find the perfect mate).

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel that the ER4P's sound isn't improved amped. I have the P-->S, but even with it I don't notice a significant benefit from amping (granted, I have only tried around 5 different amps and I may have yet to find the perfect mate).

Jussei, If I do get the P to S cable, I plan on using my 4Ps' (or converted 4Ss') with my iPod. Will I still get a decent level out of them without amplification help?

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Jussei, If I do get the P to S cable, I plan on using my 4Ps' (or converted 4Ss') with my iPod. Will I still get a decent level out of them without amplification help?

Definately. From my understanding the 4P is designed exactly for that purpose (unamped directly out of the headphone jack of a DAP).

Feb 19, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definately. From my understanding the 4P is designed exactly for that purpose (unamped directly out of the headphone jack of a DAP).

I think what tenchi is asking is what if you use ER-4P's with the cable (converting it into ER-4S's) - with the extra impedance (100 ohms?) - with an iPod? Will ER-4S's be efficient enough to be driven from the headphone out of an iPod?

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think what tenchi is asking is what if you use ER-4P's with the cable (converting it into ER-4S's) - with the extra impedance (100 ohms?) - with an iPod? Will ER-4S's be efficient enough to be driven from the headphone out of an iPod?

Yeah ull be fine. Even the -S works plenty fine from an iPod, plenty of volume. I use a pair of -S with an iPod Nano 2G which has really low volume and I never have a problem.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah ull be fine. Even the -S works plenty fine from an iPod, plenty of volume. I use a pair of -S with an iPod Nano 2G which has really low volume and I never have a problem.

Yes, I agree with this too. I'd consider the ER4S "amp ready" but it's definately not required with DAPs (at least to my ears). I feel that Etymotic did a good job making both the S's and P's perform fine ampless.
Really I think the ER4P shouldnt be amped and the ER4S can be amped at home where it's convienient, but even then it's not absolutely necessary as with some headphones/iems.

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #43 of 49
I've been using the 3-flange silicone tips that came with my 4Ps since getting them Friday evening, and just switched to the foamies to try them out. I liked the silicon tips very much, but I am REALLY starting to like these foamies! Even though the flanges sounded great and I didn't have to fiddle with them very much, when I put the foamies in, there was no fiddling whatsoever, and just as Etyomic claimed, there was even more isolation as well as more comfort. I plan to do more comparisons this evening and during the week, but right now, the foamies are the ones to use! I also briefly used the 4Ps' with my Simpl A1 amp and do not like the combination. The noise level increased and the bass level decreased so I will use these sans amp at least until I get the P to S cable.

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

I've been using the 3-flange silicone tips that came with my 4Ps since getting them Friday evening, and just switched to the foamies to try them out. I liked the silicon tips very much, but I am REALLY starting to like these foamies! Even though the flanges sounded great and I didn't have to fiddle with them very much, when I put the foamies in, there was no fiddling whatsoever, and just as Etyomic claimed, there was even more isolation as well as more comfort. I plan to do more comparisons this evening and during the week, but right now, the foamies are the ones to use! I also briefly used the 4Ps' with my Simpl A1 amp and do not like the combination. The noise level increased and the bass level decreased so I will use these sans amp at least until I get the P to S cable.

hi tenchi are you rich?
tongue.gif
if so get ray's sr-71 amp for the er4p->s. it is a wonderful combo, and the background is dead black (silent) even with the er4p.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi tenchi are you rich?
tongue.gif
if so get ray's sr-71 amp for the er4p->s. it is a wonderful combo, and the background is dead black (silent) even with the er4p.

Not even in my dreams am I rich
icon10.gif
! How much does that amp go for? Just curious. For now, I'll just stick to the 4P with foamies. I still love the sound of my HD580/Simpl A1/iPod combo as well though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back