finally..reccomend me a 32-42in tv
Jul 22, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #49 of 63
That's pretty cheap- that came with 5 year warramty. 5090 RRP is £2500. I've bought cheaper flat panel brands - Samsung, LG, Sharp and not been impressed. Two cheap sets (which are crap) equal the price of the Pioneer but it's worth it. Do not buy Samsung LCD's or Plasma's.

Pioneer's come with no speakers or stand, so you have to factor that into the cost. Rather than buying the official Pioneer stand- as you still need a TV unit, I would look at a dedicated TV stand. Bought a Origin plasma stand for £300. The Pioneer shelf plasma stand £180.

Panasonics have some peculiarities that the extra exensive on the Pioneers is worthwhile. Sorted de-interlacing, superior scaling, and no shimmering or noisy picture. And the best blacks level from a plasma available.

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #50 of 63
Pioneer Elites are the cream of the crop, he obviously doesn't want to spend that much so why do you keep pushing them? Pioneer is the best but they're not the only competant tv manufacturer. That's like me saying all Hondas and Toyotas aren't as luxurious, powerful, or as accomodating as Audis and Lexus'. Yes, they're double the price but they're worth it and you shouldn't purchase anything less.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #51 of 63
How is £300 double the price? Pioneers are worth double the price of a Samsung, this is from previous ownership. Panasonics are slightly cheaper than Pioneer. It's like saying I'm buying a BMW, should I get the 1.6L or 2.5 supercharged? You're already spending money, may as well spend some more and get something you really want. I bet a lot of people pass over HD-5xx series and just buy HD-650.

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've bought cheaper flat panel brands - Samsung, LG, Sharp and not been impressed. Two cheap sets (which are crap) equal the price of the Pioneer but it's worth it. Do not buy Samsung LCD's or Plasma's.

Pioneer's come with no speakers or stand, so you have to factor that into the cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is £300 double the price?

Your words not mine.

In addition though he's in the UK, I assume the price relationships are the same as they are here in the US (Albeit both being more expensive than here in the US). A 50" 1080P Pioneer Kuro here will run you $2200-2400 USD. A 50" 1080P Panasonic on the other hand, will run you $1200-1300. Roughly double the price.

The Panasonic is also not cheap crap as you so kindly put it (Those words can be reserved for Insignia, Dynex, and Sylvania). It offers great picture quality and great reliability for a very reasonable sum. Sure the Kuro is better, twice as good? I don't think so. Maybe the price difference is worth it to you, but to majority of us who don't have unreasonable sums to blow on TVs, it's not. To the OP, read the reviews on both and go to a real HT store (ie not Best Buy or whatever the equivalent is in the UK) and take a look at them for yourself.

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #55 of 63
my toyota celica cost £5500 2nd hand which is like 2 or 3 of those tvs, theres no way i can justify that much for a tv when i dont have things like sky HD

the panasonic is def where the price
tongue.gif
erformance is right, under £1000, and 50 is too big,

it really is like headphones, you get a little more for alot more money, heck i wouldnt spend £2000 on a computer, and i get alot more out of one of those,

a 2000 plasma?id have to be alot richer than i am now

Jul 23, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #58 of 63
For 3M a 50" is fine. I watch standard definition on my 50" plasma and it looks very good. If you notice pixellation your sharpness is too high. ITV on Sky does look horrible though but some channels are perfectly fine.

I'm 6-7' from 50" :)

Jul 23, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 or 3 meters, but 50 is really gonna show pixelation, and lowering screen size is a cheap way to reduce it

Here's a good distance calculator that I've used to get a good estimate of what size TV to get for what viewing distance and angles. Everyone is different, but this gives you some pretty good predictions. Off the top of my head, 2-3 meters may be okay, but you might get a better result with smaller screens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back