finally..reccomend me a 32-42in tv
Jul 20, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #16 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got look at my parents 50inch panasonic vierra plasma and SD on it [even digital] looks terrible! it really is blocky, and thats a good tv! i dont think theres any way to win this one, picture quality isnt good enough perhaps i should leave it with all the SD content around

Crap in, crap out. You're a head-fi forum member, you should know all about that. Turn down edge sharpening and upscaling; should make it a little better. SD still looks pretty good on my Samsung. Just a little blurry.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #18 of 63
At that size, it's kind of a waste of money to go with the 1080p. There is no HDTV content at 1080p. The only thing that is really 1080p is Blu-ray, and it's very hard to tell the difference at that size between 1080p and 720p.

And the whole issue with blacks. Plasma would be the way to go if you're on a budget. You can get a really nice Panasonic 42" 720p plasma from Amazon, $650 including shipping, no tax in the US. I'm not sure about the UK.

What exactly is your reason for wanting 1080p by the way?

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #20 of 63
Pioneer for movies, LCD for laptop and gaming use. Owned both LCD and plasma. A well setup LCD can look good for movies, but plasma beats it. What's your viewing distance? Remember if you watch widescreen movies, especially in 1:1 you do get quite a bit of black bars on the top & bottom, so you may think a 42" is big enough, but it's really about 39-40" once you factor in 2:35 movies.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #22 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One word: Samsung.

I like Samsung LCDs, but the Panasonic plasmas will have better blacks than Samsungs at the same price or more.

If you are set on getting a 1080p set, I would check out the Panasonic plasmas.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfourc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Samsung LCDs, but the Panasonic plasmas will have better blacks than Samsungs at the same price or more.

If you are set on getting a 1080p set, I would check out the Panasonic plasmas.

Except for the fact that he wants to use it for a pc monitor as well. Heat and power issues aside (Modern plasmas are nearly as efficient as modern LCDs and heat output is down compared to older plasmas) burn in is still a problem for plasmas. If you plan on using it for pc duty for 1-2+ hours, forget about plasma. We have a 50" Panasonic plasma. Yes burn in isn't as much of a problem on the Panny as it is with our old 40" Sony plasma however, it is still a problem.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #28 of 63
i my be scratching the monitor idea, gonna get a second 24inch monitor and a tv, will only hook it up to laptop for films, and maybe the odd game once in a while, but it will be mainly for SD tv/SD + HD films, but not a long duration monitor,

LCD vs plasma, its a close one at this inch size tho :/

50inch is def out of the question more cause of the terrible SD picture than price

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

50inch is def out of the question more cause of the terrible SD picture than price

Watch SD on my 50" it looks superb. As for LCD versus plasma my 50" plasma still looks better than the 42" LCD even with SD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back