Finally!!! NEW Cowon PLayers!!!!
Aug 25, 2008 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 129

ricthaman

500+ Head-Fier
As I was surfing to ABI.com I noticed the frontpage news. NEW Cowon Line announced.

Shameless copied from ABI
redface.gif

''Cowon is back and I must say this is perhaps the most exciting new line of players this year, after disappointing new lines from both Creative and iriver. Cowon has just put up info on their site about three new players, the S9, O2 and L3 - all of which looks to be spectacular.

The three players will each be different sizes; 3.3", 4.3" and 7" respectively. All of them have touch screens and very few tactile buttons. Read on for the full details on the three players.

The S9 is the smallest of the three and can best be described as an iPod Touch Awesome Edition. It has a 3.3" 272x480 capacitive AMOLED touchscreen, Bluetooth, DMB-T tuner (which will probably be removed in any version outside Asia) and up to 40 hours of music playback along with the normal Cowon BBE sound effects and an FM radio. The S9 also has TV out, which hopefully will work better than it did on the D2. Last but not least it has a G sensor which will most likely function to auto rotate the screen depending on which way you hold it.

the O2 is most likely an upgrade to the A3, with its 4.3" screen and support for basically any video format you can find. Of course it has the DMB-T tuner will never see any of (or have any use for), BBE, dictionary and all the "basics" from Cowon. The interesting thing about the O2 is that it uses flash memory up to 32GB and supplementing this with a SD card slot (which most likely supports SDHC). This means the O2 will be half between the D2 and A3 which should prove a killer combo. If I understand the Korean info page correctly, it does 18 hours of audio and 8 hours of video, but until thats confirmed by someone who can read the info that's not set in stone. On top of all this the player will have a built in speaker and TV out.

Lastly we have the L3, which will give the Archos 7 a run for it's money. The 7" touch screen has a resolution of 800x480 and also comes with some "tactile" button system that Cowon is calling shadow touch. Whether it's flash or not I honestly cannot tell but it does have a SD card slot which might suggest this will also be a flash player and that Cowon has given up on hard drive based players (not counting models already on the market). The specs also list an internal SIRF III antenna which suggests GPS functionality out of the box (one of the pics also read "extreme navigation"). Other features include an FM transmitter, speaker, and included remote control.''

I hope they will see the light in the EU and US asap and the prices will be a bit normal. If so, I will jump on one of them immediately.

One thing more, I hope their SQ stays up to standards, or perhaps even bettter. But the new iRiver's did dissapoint in the SQ department. I just hope Cowon isn't making the same mistake.

Credits to Anythingbutipod.com for the news article.

RGDS

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 129
The S9 doesn't seem to have an SD slot, that's kind of disappointing.

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The S9 doesn't seem to have an SD slot, that's kind of disappointing.

you never know though. if not the O2 has one and might be like a giant D2 replacement. I'd personally be happy with the S9 as long as it has playlist support and 32 GB of memory built in.

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 129
32gb + sd slot = winner!!!! HELL YES and about time!!!! I'm talking about the S9 of course. Still, I'm not leaving the O2 out of the equation!!!

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by centerfold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~throws D2 away~~

Thinkin' about it me'self!!!!!!!!!!!
angry_face.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 129
Hope they solved the issue of the bass roll off. Then The O2 and S9 are numero uno por mio!!!!

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punslayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pink O2 is awfully slick. Assuming it has a line-out (and it should, since it has a TV out) it has shot right to the top of the list of things i didn't even know i needed. Ijust hope the cost will be reasonable and the sound good.

Hopefully, however ""TV out" worries me. The D2 has TV out, but no audio out when playing music.

If the S9 has a line out, it will be the player I've been waiting for.
dt880smile.png

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 129
More Info:
Cowon S9 - iAudiophile.net Forums

O2: http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23103

Cowon S9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today Cowon have unveiled three new products, the S9 (the X5/D2 successor), the O2 (the A3 successor?) and the L3 (a GPS system). The first image shown below is that of the S9, it will be replacing the D2 but sure does seem to me like an X5 successor too.

Features:
Dual Core 500mhz Processor
3.3", 480 x 272 16m colour Amoled Display
Capacitive Touchscreen
Flash UI
TV Out
40 hours audio Battery life
Dynamic Dictionary
Bluetooth
BEE, Jet Effects and Customisable EQ

Of Course I'm a big fan of Cowon products, they always have that little extra kick. Honestly cannot wait for the S9, looks like the Archos5 has just fallen down the pecking order.

Cowon Korea S9 Page

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 129
Wow, this is fantastic news. Of course, the lack of an SDHC reader in the S9 is a bit of a bummer, but it definitely looks great. Hopefully its supports all the audio formats the D2 currently does, as well as a music-capable line-out! Hopefully the O2's battery life isn't confirmed or finalized, since it seems to be a closer D2 successor, in looks and capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back