FINALLY got my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi!
Feb 25, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #46 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by niubi
aside from the differences in color (black, silver and gold), what are the major (if any) differences between the dv-59avi, dv-868avi (europe), dv-s969avi (asia/aus/nz)?

the major difference i noted was that the non-u.s. models were ntsc/pal (requiring a multisystem tv/projector/plasma no doubt) and offered progressive scan in both systems. the pioneer australia site also noted that the dv-s969avi has a universal power supply (automatic 110-127v; 220-240v). the dv-868avi is available as a multi-region player (with software mod). the dv-59avi is also available as a multi-region player (i am not sure if it is a hardware or software mod). i am not sure about the asia model with respect to multi-region.

any other differences?

From my discussions with jvb.nl, I understand the multiregion player is a hardware mod. Note that with the mod, at least, it handles both ntsc and pal, outputing each disc in its native format.

Feb 25, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #50 of 103
A quick couple of comments about the quality of both the audio / video capabilities of my new Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi.

I watched a few films including Unforgiven, LOTR: Fellowship & TT, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. So far, the impression has been made upon me that this is a very vibrant, rich, and film-like DVD-Video player. While I have not calibrated the video settings, I am so far pretty enthused but not going nuts over the video. The most I can say is that I feel like I am in a movie theater watching cinema and I get to control everything sort of like a director too. I get the same feelings of screen romance and stirring emotions such as passion, rage, revenge, friendship, etc. from my DV-59AVi because it can reproduce a lot of the subtle things that I once took for granted while watching movies with friends in the theater but this time it is in my own home.

The audio capabilities are nothing to sneeze at either. Red Book CDs sound much more natural with airy extension, balance, and speed / attack. They sound less like the limitations of Red Book CDs and more like HDCD in a weird sort of way. DVD-Audio and SACD are really the highlight of the show. I'm listening to the Top Gun Expanded Soundtrack on SACD and my goodness, it oozes with detail, focus, natural dynamics, and just plain old good toe tappin' music. DVD-Audio is surreal and spellbinding in its' 3D positioning, etched detail, and enveloping presence. Other SACD titles just invite you to the musical performance while DVD-Audio puts the orchestra or rock band in your living room.

I am pretty pleased with this player as a stock unit. Combined with my HR-2 (AD8065) and ER-4P/S and CNR, I think I am getting not only the most truthful rendering of music but the smelly breath of singers, the growling strumming of strings on a bass guitar, and the addictive fix that I paid so dearly for.

I will try to accelerate getting the ModWright mods done as soon as possible. I've made key cuts in my budget and I'm basically on the Top Ramen diet for the next few months. If the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi is this pretty good as a stock unit, I definitely will find out what it sounds like as a heavily modded unit. I'm pretty much concluded there is enough justification to invest $1000 USD in taking it to the next level of performance with what it's already made of now.

So, it handles every single format except HDCD and WMA on the audio side and SVCD on the video side. So long as it can do DVD +R/RW, then I'm good too.

This is turning out to be a chapter that will have a happy ending...for now.

Feb 25, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #52 of 103
Mine is in the hands of the local modder right now (http://www.audioxtension.com). This is what he suggested:

I just opened it and have the test run now! It working fine! After that I open the case and have the checking there. I found that the production very well. The PSU is the best one I even saw on this kind of the DVDP.... Master clock really have 2 sets there.... one is the main clock which is 27.000MHz, other one is for the Firewire chip set 24.5760MHz.

Audiopart
-------------

The Audio DAC is using the Burr Brown PCM1738... the most popular and hot chip. Current out with the full balance I/V stage circuit, not bad. For the audio part modification I have 2 option there... just depends one using the tubefilter or zapfilter?!

If using the tubefilter we must have to use the orignal I/V stage there.... which just running with the 5532 dual opamp and working with singal 8V only! I decide to rebulid the power supply for the I/V stage. Main idea as following point,

1/. Bulid the better regulator for the I/V stage opamp.... make it working with +/-15V. It makes the noise reduce more and the dynamic range better.
2/. Try to bulid the SMD type opamps convertor, change the 5532 to 2 pcs of the OPA627.... I found that the 627 almost is the best choice for the I/V....

others change all caps for the Audio part..... Like the OS-con, Blackgate!

Zapfilter have the I/V stage. But PCM1738 output near 2.5V.... so, the zapfilter I in cut accept this.. we have to make the output lower before going to the zapfilter.... if using the zapfilter it must more simple... but I think the performance must not better than the tubefilter + rebulid I/V.....

3/. Cardas rodium RCA must have to replace for getting the best result!

Following is the part list of the audio

7805 replace to LT323, for the regulator of the DAC
330uf6.3V X 5
47uf 16V X 9
100uf 16V X 9
2n2 replace to precision silver foil cap for the I/V stage

Video Part
--------------

The video section have some of the caps for the bypass and regulator for the video chips. Also most of them are SMD type which at the main PCB. As following,

470uf 6.3V X 2
220uf 6.3V X2

SMD type
220V 4V X 2
150uf 4V X 6
100uf 16V X 8

I decide all of them change to the OS-con... I found that the spec of the OS-con really good for the high frequency circuit like digital and video processing....

Master Clock
------------------

For the best Result, I think you can try to use the seperate PSU for that... for the both side will get 10-15% improve there.... Just depends on you....

Switching PSU
------------------

Simple modification there, change the better parts there, list as following,

330uf 16V X 2
470uf 16V X 1
56uf 35V X 3
22uf 50V X 1
33uf 50V X 1
10uf 50V X 1

and the last one is the biggest one, 100uf 400V....

Ofcoz need to install the IEC socket there....

Ok! Almost finish! And there have another suggestion, some of the little magic parts for tune up!

The Hamonix.... http://www.combak.net/bases.htm

it is magic tune there... it can place on the chip, transport, transformer, case.... I love this little cheat very much... a set of the RF56 can be give you 30-50% improvement there!

It is not cheap, a set of it around HKD$980... but can tell that it is really worth for it.

The feets of the unit can be replace with the TAOC metal products there.... it can improve the foundation of the unit a lot! just few hundred a set....

Feb 25, 2004 at 8:14 AM Post #54 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
This is my FINAL decision:

Standalone MULTI-CHANNEL mods WITH AD8065/8066 op-amps = $400
Transport Mod (in addition to other mods) = $100
Power Supply upgrade mod = $150
XO3 clock with clock supply = $450
>
TOTAL PACKAGE DEAL PRICE = $1000

Welly,

Just to make sure I read this correctly, I came up with $1100 total for these mods. Is there a discount for doing them all at once, or is this a minor math error? I see that it says package deal, so if this is the real price without error it seems like you're getting the transport mod for free. Sweet!

Also, do you know it Dan is offering any other mods like the tube output for this model? He normally offers some Signature mods for about $1000-1200 which include the tube output mod, so I'm curious to hear if he let you know about this before I waste some of his time asking him myself.

Feb 25, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #55 of 103
Doug:

Yeah, he offers the Ultimate Truth Mod which does include a analog tube stage inside the chassis of my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi but since he has modded so few of them so far he thinks it will require an external power supply unit to make it sound its' best. I am interested in anything tube right now; I am a solid state digital kind of a guy...for now. Yes, the price quoted is the final package deal price and I think he is offering the transport mod for free on top of that. Nice of him to do so. I'm getting closer and closer to accumulating the funds necessary to get these mods. Woohoo!
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #56 of 103
I used the Denon DVD 2900 before. The de-interlacing seems fine to me on the few DVD-Videos that I watched; I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary with my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi. I would argue that it renders a more film like image than the Denon DVD 2900 out of the box with no modifications. The same is true of the sound. Mine is just beginning to break in little by little. I have no firm conclusions about it other than to say that comparing apples vs. oranges (keep in mind that both units are stock models) the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi is appreciably better in video playback in terms of color richness, film-like smoothness, and without any technical errors thus far while the audio section is clearly superior in terms of speed, attack, dynamics, and smoothness. The Denon DVD 2900, while a great overall player, is spread too thin in the audio section as it does not play any particular format with aplomb. On the other hand, my brief comments thus far about the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi is that it is a cut above your typical $1000 USD MSRP universal player in the audio department and can be had for that price. I paid $998.75 USD with FedEx Ground shipping from http://www.pcrush.com which is located somewhere in California and I am located in West Orange, NJ. It got to my home in seven business days. The Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi is turning out to be the universal player to beat for under $1000 USD street price. It's the only Red Book CD capable player that I have heard which trounces the venerable NAD C 541i HDCD player in terms of liquidity, transients, dynamic range, and detail extraction without the NAD C 541i reputation for being a bit bright and warm. It is just that I do not know where to place its' Red Book CD, DVD-Audio, and SACD playback performance in context with other separate and dedicated units thereof because of my very limited and opinionated experience with HI-FI equipment thus far.

I'm listening to Rachel Podger's La Stravaganza CD and it is a real killer test CD. Typical of stock units, the treble region can get peaky and down right eviscerating on my ear drums but the tonal richness of those period Italian violins comes through with a level of timbral accuracy that is simply...spellbinding. Of course, I enabled HI-BIT, Legato PRO, etc. to get this level of Red Book CD performance but it is impressive...thus far. As I have said earlier, there is enough "juice" or "guts" to the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi to warrant expensive aftermarket modifications; please note this is the first time I will commit to do so on any stock source component in my life. Yes, there is talent in there that needs to be brought to the attention of a master modder to create a metamorphosis that should bring it up to par of being a fine instrument per se.

Feb 29, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #57 of 103
I think my stock Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi has finally burned in completely. Here's my impressions of the audio performance:

Red Book CD: extremely balanced and solid. I'm hearing more of the music itself instead of the limitations of this 30 year old format. What that means is that macrodynamics and microdynamics complement each other. There's layers of sound in the low / middle / high: bass, midrange (most especially), and treble regions. Everything harmonizes and plays well together. Music sounds wonderfully smooth, more analog, and is rendered more life like. Bass punch is controlled, tempered, and not flabby but in good proportion. Midrange is especially liquid, dynamic, and a bit sweet but not syrupy. Treble region sounds well extended, airy, and a bit on the bright side depending on the recording and the CNR + ER-4P/S combination. I don't attribute treble bite to the player itself thus far. This is one fast, nimble, and agile player in terms of PRAT. Not musical or warm but natural, neutral, and balanced. Kind of lets the music take the spotlight instead of forcing its' own interpretation upon the music. Only player I've ever heard thus far that can do that with Red Book CD.

SACD: OMG! This is the way Red Book CD should have sounded 30 years ago! Analog, smooth, liquid and perfectly natural in timbre and dynamic sweep. Everything I said in the above paragraph but with oodles more realism in terms of timbral accuracy, PRAT, and definition. As I've said before, SACD is not about the recording of the music itself but of the musical performance taking stage in your head without any distractions from your gear. With the DV-59AVi, I think there is so much more articulation of sounds and definition of notes that I just can't believe this could be recorded sound. SACD is where imaging lends a certain level of trust between the musicians and you the listener (or me in this case).

DVD-Audio: this is the only player I've heard thus far that doesn't do that CD+ effect of kind of artificial holography and etched details. DVD-Audio sounds so non-digital which is ironic given the nature of the format. In fact, it's becoming less about the differences between SACD vs. DVD-Audio in terms of unique sound fingerprint but more about title availability and extra features. I'm beginning to think that the DV-59AVi makes DVD-Audio music sound more organic and natural with a hint of sweetness in the upper midrange and treble regions. Each note is communicated with extraordinary delicacy and delight.

DVD-Video: This thing just kicks the Denon DVD 2900's ass. Films are extremely filim like down to the effect of image projected on whatever background they use in real movie theaters. I got to try my DV-59AVi at a friend's house who has a 42" Plasma HDTV with HDMI. Surreal. It's all about image accuracy and realism. I could literally upscale LOTR up to the maximum resolution and I was in the LOTR world. Component video even yields better definition, especially edges without blockyness, and color combinations are almost infinite.

What's not to like? The $1600 USD price tag. The transport platter sucks: it's cheaper than the platter in both my Plextor CD/DVD burner drives. The feet suck. The remote sucks. However, it's all entirely replaceable.

Thus, I firmly believe there is enough "guts" to warrant expensive aftermarket modifications by ModWright in the stock Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi. The most important mod is replacing the transport platter. Gots to go.

Again, here is what I'm saving for from ModWright:

Standalone Multi-Channel Mod WITH AD8065/8066 op-amps
Transport Mod (along with other mods too)
LC Audio Superclock X03 with Clock Supply
Power Supply Upgrade

$1000 USD package deal price.

Is it worth it? The question is this: is there enough "guts" with the stock Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi worth keeping for the next few years and improving upon? Yes. Off I go to revise my Quicken 2004 budget. Cut 'n trim and work hard 'n save is my motto. Source first philosophy: it all starts with the source!

For those who can afford a middle-fi universal player and so desire, I recommend the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi be on your short list. It can be had for under $1000 USD as I paid $998.00 (?) from http://www.pcrush.com . No, they aren't an authorized Pioneer e-commerce retailer but I got mine at a good price with no complaints or hassles whatsoever.

Looking at my budget, I should be ready to get the above ModWright package not by the third week of May 2004 but the second week of April 2004. I should be able to have it done on or by my birthday, April 17th, 2004. And I'm committed to the source first philosophy: my money is where my mouth is and don't try to talk me out of it. Thanks for reading.

Feb 29, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #60 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
In time, the all region hack for the US versions will be available. I don't know when or how, but I have faith! Besides, all of my DVD-Videos are Region 1 anyway.

Your player is so wonderful that you should just enjoy it. In the future, should you want to mod it to be all region, don't worry ... those mods are already available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back