FINALLY got my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi!
Mar 9, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #76 of 103
Would you mind opening the unit up and posting some pictures of the guts? I'm considering buying the Pioneer and would be very interested to see what mods I can do to it.

Mar 9, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #77 of 103
Eric343:

No problem. I just got to figure out how to host my own pics so everybody can download them. You'll just have to be patient as I save carefully in the interim.

Mar 13, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #80 of 103
The Lord is always faithful to those who have faith in Him.

This is not boasting but a concrete example (IMHO) of Him being "semper fidelis." Tonight, I went with my father to his friend's home to fix his computer. In the process of fixing two computers over a few hours, his friend decides to pay me $100 USD tonight. He also gave my father a 19" Viewsonic CRT monitor for free. He told me to come back to his home over the next few days (next week is my spring break) to continue fixing his computers. Furthermore, he's been calling all of his friends about this "new computer guy" and making recommendations. I don't know what will come of that. All I know is that I'm supposed to call him and help him setup a Linksys home network for his brand new Optimum Online cable modem service. BTW, he's going to cut his $33 USD monthly subscription to AOL as a result of the next appointment.

That $100 USD alone was a big surprise...and the monitor too. I'm not sure if I can make a business of this but I can tell you this: I'm $130 USD closer to my ModWright package deal without having to even touch the savings I put away for my Competitive Shooting Career. This is truly a blessing...from God. Amen.

Mar 13, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #81 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
Tonight, I went with my father to his friend's home to fix his computer. In the process of fixing two computers over a few hours, his friend decides to pay me $100 USD tonight. He also gave my father a 19" Viewsonic CRT monitor for free. He told me to come back to his home over the next few days (next week is my spring break) to continue fixing his computers. Furthermore, he's been calling all of his friends about this "new computer guy" and making recommendations. I don't know what will come of that. All I know is that I'm supposed to call him and help him setup a Linksys home network for his brand new Optimum Online cable modem service. BTW, he's going to cut his $33 USD monthly subscription to AOL as a result of the next appointment.

Ya gotta love it when your computer addiction pays off
biggrin.gif

I remember back when I was just starting off as a DIYer, a friend of my father's (also an audiophile) was so impressed with some of the things I was working on that he absolutely HAD to have a Hansen board amp in the Serpac case. After letting him listen to the amp, I brought up the topic of paying for parts cost. Despite my insistence that the amp wasn't worth more than $60 (with labor factored in), he refused to write a check smaller than $200.
biggrin.gif

(Or, if you want a REAL getting-lucky story, ask Larry of LaRocco Audio about the Israeli that's commissioning him to build a source!)

Above all, keep up contact with him and pursue any opportunities his friends give you. Figure out a reasonable fee schedule for your work, and always be professional, communicative, and courteous in your work. With any luck, you'll be able to pay off the rest of the ModWright package!

Mar 13, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #82 of 103
Thanks for the good news Welly. Between you and Eric I'll have a good idea on how to make enough money to pay for a Weebl this year.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #83 of 103
Truly, I must confess an old idea: be faithful in the Lord and he will reciprocate. I could not imagine what happened tonight was ever going to happen. Today alone made me realize that partnership with the Lord (especially destroying idols that stand in the way between He and yourself) is the only way not only to salvation but also to success. He literally gave me new options, a new path, that I can choose to follow to not only fund my ModWright Package Deal (in retrospect, it ain't everything in life either) but my competitive shooting career too (if everything pans out well; funding that top budget priority is more important than any piece of music or audio equipment in my life...period). This is truly an amazing day! Praise Him! And I'll let you all know when I ship off my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi to Mr. Wright.

Mar 13, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #84 of 103
Quote:

Truly, I must confess an old idea: be faithful in the Lord and he will reciprocate...Today alone made me realize that partnership with the Lord is the only way to success.

"God helps them that help themselves."

Don't take anything for granted... Resting on one's laurels is a sure way to get back to square one -- I've learned that several times.

Mar 17, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #87 of 103
Quote:

I've decided not spend my time writing a review on the stock Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi. Instead, I will post as detailed and professional a review on a ModWright heavily modified Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi in the next few weeks. I figure that will be a little bit different and perhaps interesting. In the meantime, I will try to make some general impression notes on the stock unit's sound and compare the changes after getting my ModWright mods done to it in the upcoming professional review complete with pictures. I hope this is all going to work out and stay tuned!

Welly Wu --

I think you should have waited a little longer...
It won't be long until the DV-50 is at or below $3k!

I may be wrong, as I have never heard a ModWright'ed unit.
But my senses tell me that you should have waited, because...
It is always a plus to keep one's options open for debate...

Just my opinion, maybe I am totally off base as usual...
Chances are you were thinking of the DV-50, as well.

Scott

Scott

Mar 17, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #88 of 103
Scott:

I can not afford a $3,500 USD source component right now in my life. I still am responsible for my financial stewardship of my money and I have other budget priorities in my life as well. Thank you for your kind input. I just hope that my calculated gamble in buying the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi and the select ModWright package deal will make me happy and fulfilled...for now.
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 17, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #89 of 103
Welly Wu --

evil_smiley.gif
Yup, I guess I was off base, as usual...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have an uncanny ability to be wrong all of the time!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Scott

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #90 of 103
Welly, you made the right choice in every sense. Not only is the DV-59AVi in your budget, but is a very good performer, and in my opinion (especially when using digital outs, such as DVI/HDMI) it is even better than 5900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back