Finally Got Me Some JH16's !!
Apr 30, 2011 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Kudos to JH Audio on gettting it right a 3rd straight time on each custom I have ordered from them.  JH5, JH13 and now JH16.  It is a nice sigh of relief when they fit perfect.  For some reason I slightly preferred the fit of my JH5 over the JH13 so I sent the JH5 in for them to model the fit when making the JH16 and they nailed it.

These impressions are unamped out of an Ipod Classic and I most prefer the "jazz" setting which just slightly tips the treble and bass a few dB.

My very first thoughts after a few minutes with JH16 is that JH5 is an incredible IEM!  It really is.  Talk about getting the absolute most out of 2 drivers is an understatement.  I would go as far as saying that the JH16 may be closer to the sound of JH5 than it is to JH13.  The amount of bass and treble between JH5 and JH16 is quite similar but JH5 is a bit raw and edgy sounding where JH16 is butter smooth.

[size=11pt]There is absolutely nothing to NOT like about JH16.  Very smooth, very refined and not even as bassy as I was expecting.  Just seems to do everything very effortlessly.  From memory it does not have quite the treble energy that JH13 has but JH16 treble sounds more natural to my ears.  Overall, the JH16 presentation sounds  accurate, very detailed and very transparent but literally nothing stands out over anything else.  It is a very intimate presentation, like first row.  It is the best sounding IEM I have ever heard and I suppose it should be for $1,149.  I simply could not pick any area out I would want improved nor could I suggest any one genre that would be best with JH16.  Everything sounds terrific.  Yet, when switching back and forth with JH5 it’s quite shocking how well JH5 does when you consider 2 drivers versus 8.  This is in no way a knock on JH16 but more of a compliment to JH5.  Tough to say if the upgrade is really worth it as these things are always relative but for once I can safely say my search is over.  It is indeed as good as everyone says it is.[/size]

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm jealous.  ...can I have your old JH5? :p

Also, I guess this just shows that "more drivers" doesn't necessarily mean "better," you can still have a supremely balanced IEM with only two.

How would you say things like transients sound with the JH16?  It's always interesting how they can make all of the drivers meld together as though they're one.

May 1, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 8
I am sure the triple bore helps but the overall sound is very cohesive and together.  Like I say nothing seems overpowering anything else, nor is anything lacking nor does anything sound disjointed in any way.  Smooth, balanced and full.

May 7, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Well, after a week, here are my thoughts.

While we are all aware of the law of diminishing returns as you move up the ladder pricewise, there is still an undeniable psychological expectation when purchasing an IEM that is 3X the cost of what is already a very decent sounding IEM (JH5).

I fully understand the labor and dexterity required to put 8 drivers in an IEM but I just don't find the improvement worth it.  I do not find it even twice as good as JH5 let alone 3X (from a price standpoint).  How about 20-25% better depending on your sound preferences.  Here is how I find them different. 

JH5 has a bit more punch and pop to it.  A bit more aggressive sounding where JH16 is more controlled and slightly restrained by comparison, even with all of those extra drivers.

JH5 soundstage is more "centered" versus JH16 is   V E R Y   W I D E.  This may actually be a personal preference as to which you prefer.

JH16 treble is a bit smoother and a bit more revealing and transparent.  Midrange is about the same on both.  Bass is large on both but JH16 is more controlled and extends deeper.

That really about sums it up.  Yes, I will keep the JH16 and yes it is the best I have ever heard but it is only another step above the triple driver $400 IEM's out there IMHO.  Not sure whether an amp would increase the JH16 benefits or not.  These are just my opinions based on my experiences.

If anything, the JH13 is probably the more unique different animal out there.  I still prefer JH16 over JH13 but I think JH13 is more unique.  The speed, detail retrieval and transparency are out of this world.

May 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 8
Believe it or not, I found that using a quality amp made a big difference over the way my JH 16's sounded compared to just out of an ipod. When I first got my JH 16's I was impressed, but I would agree that it was probably at most a 30% improvement over the SE530's. After pairing it with an amp/LOD, the improvement was more like 70%. Next time you get the chance, see if another member might be willing to let you plug your JH 16's into his amp. To me, it almost sounded like a different earphone. The bass became more powerful with more authority, and the detail/air between the instruments definitely opened up. I feel that you're not getting the full potential out of your JH 16's just out of the ipod. 8 drivers is a lot harder to drive than 2 despite the lower impedance, and when I plugged my se530s into the same amp, the improvements were nowhere near as dramatic as with the 16's.

May 7, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Let's see some pictures!

May 7, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Believe it or not, I found that using a quality amp made a big difference over the way my JH 16's sounded compared to just out of an ipod. When I first got my JH 16's I was impressed, but I would agree that it was probably at most a 30% improvement over the SE530's. After pairing it with an amp/LOD, the improvement was more like 70%. Next time you get the chance, see if another member might be willing to let you plug your JH 16's into his amp. To me, it almost sounded like a different earphone. The bass became more powerful with more authority, and the detail/air between the instruments definitely opened up. I feel that you're not getting the full potential out of your JH 16's just out of the ipod. 8 drivers is a lot harder to drive than 2 despite the lower impedance, and when I plugged my se530s into the same amp, the improvements were nowhere near as dramatic as with the 16's.

Are you using a portable amplifier or a full-size amplifier? Which amp specifically if you don't mind me asking.

May 21, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 8
After a few weeks with these I can surerly say that these are the best IEM's I have ever stuck in my ears.  It's exactly what I was looking for.  I have talked in high praise of W3 saying it has a big full sound, a big soundstage, slight warmth but also a much above average amount of treble energy.  I love it.  W3 is a great fun, efficient IEM.

JH16 takes those traits and totally refines/improves them.

Bass:  Extends even deeper, no mid-bass hump.  Incredibly even, full sound with ZERO bloat or excessiveness. It's "fuller" sounding rather than "bassier" sounding if you know what I mean.

Midrange:  JH16 is not forward but more forward (not recessed) than W3.  You notice this specifically with vocals where JH16 is stunningly gorgeous.  Even better than GR10 which I had as #1 with acoustic vocal music.

Treble: W3 is about the best I have heard with universal (never had siblance issues) where it is highly detailed but doesn't hurt or fatigue the ears.  JH16 is similar but provides even more detail and (moreso) transparency but with again ZERO siblance or fatigue.  This is probably the #1 best feature of JH16 to my ears.  The detail retrieval is out of this world!

Soundstage:  It is V E R Y  W I D E and horizontal by a wide margin more than any other IEM I have owned.  Almost plays tricks with your mind thinking it is off balance because the guitarist or bassist is playing so far off left (or right).  Pretty amazing actually.

But in totality, the JH16 is like taking a W3 and refining all of its great characteristics, then injecting steriods into the presentation where it is basically a V E R Y    B I G  beautiful sound.  Considering the great SQ you can get from JH5, in another thread I mentioned that I did not think JH16 was worth 3 times the cost and I don't but if you have the money and want literally the best sound in an IEM money can buy, this is what the fee is.  It's a fabulous experience and I could not even fathom any area where I would want to improve upon with JH16.  One purchase and be done with it.  Highly recommended!

(For anyone wondering, when I made the switch to customs I avoided ES5 because from everything I have read it sounds a little bass lite for my tastes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back